Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Nucleus Freedom

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Maestro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting a CI after being deaf for almost 20 years. Right now I'm being bombarded with mail from all 3 CI companies. I've read from people who prefer all 3 of them.

So I'd like to ask all of you who have CI which brand you got and why you prefer that brand. I view this as a big decision so I want to ask as many people as I can about why they like which and what was their deciding factor about using that brand.

In fact please cast your vote for the brand you have and prefer. It would be a great help to read why you've all made the decision you've made.

Thanks for your help.

My parents chose Cochlear Corp because they thought it was the best i suppose.

I chose Cochlear Corp , the Freedom model for the reasons

- it was widely available anywhere in the globe
- it had the LCD on the Freedom BTE , something that I find HIGHLY useful , even for my family , in any emegenerce.For me , having to memorize blinks or having to test run every equipment isn't what I wanted.I still test my coils and what not , change them often so they all get the same wear.Plus , my family have a leaflet of the messages the little LCD shows , and they can do simple things , like change batteries , or check the coil if I'm not around.Last time my mom saw a message, and I was in the shower.I told her to pull it out and re put it more securely.If that didn't work I'd tell her to change coils , I always carry a spare one when I'm on a trip.
- it had backwards and forwards compatible with any external of Cochlear.My audie has a spare 3G for anyone to wear till he gets his freedom fixed ( we don't get spares in Greece )
- I had found an Europe site that sold most of the Freedom things in better prices , like the coils , batteries , magnets.The company here in Greece has INFLATED prices.( more like triple prices )
- No need for remote control ( it's useful , but I'd keep losing it! ) although there IS talk of newer BTE cochlear model with remote control...
- Also , I figured that more than half of people I'd contacted about CI both in Greece and abroad , chosen Cochlear , so it couldn't go wrong.
- Internal implant had 24 electrodes , and various mapping techniques, especially for the Freedom implant.
- It had the option of both , rechargeables , and plain batteries.I use the rechargeables for day to day activities , but when I'm going to a trip , I'm packing some plain in my laptop bag.That way , I don't spend as many batteries as I should.And I always recycle the plain ones.I like going green.And the disposable is handy, too.( the rechargeable I think got out recently , but when I was implanted , it was out )
- It had the ability to connect to anything in a trice , without changing anything ( I do believe the other companies , need special casings or hooks , depending on the model )
- It has separate buttons for each action , or seperate combinations too to do some slight changes, like volume , sensitivity, or T-Coil , or external equipment.Oh and change map slot too.
- Plus , it has the child lock.it is advertised so the kids wouldn't play with it , for kiddos that wear their implant.But I find it useful as I have little hands getting my implant.I just let them see it for a bit then put it on my ear again.no need to check anything!
- Last , Cochlear box had inside a Dry n Store box!it's too useful.If it wasn't inside , I'd buy it , it saved my arse more times than I count.

The only complaint I've had from my implant is that it was heavy at first ( compared to a hearing aid ) and that the plastic casing that covers the socket for mp3 cords and stuff is peeling away.they should redesign that.And I occasionaly use my mp3 player , or the tv cord.I wonder what happened to the other Freedom users that use that every day?

are you forget to add Medel on poll??

My choice is Nucleus Freedom. I don't know how to explain why. Because I have a surgery tomorrow. I will figure it out why do I choice for reason. I will come back and post it here later.

I chose Cochlear for the following reasons:

(1st CI)
* Excellent customer service
* Program that pairs experienced CI users with CI recipients
* Cochlear has been in the CI industry for over 20 years
* Being able to map my processor over 10,000 different ways

(2nd CI)
* Freedom proven to improve speech discrimination over the 3G
* Freedom is water resistant
* Freedom has 4 program slots
* Freedom is accessible to me as a deafblind person
* Freedom uses rechargeable and disposable batteries

I'm satisfy with Cochlear..... I can't say anything more. I LOVE IT...... AND HAPPY MORE TO HEAR AGAIN. I JUST DUNNO Y BECOZ I HEAR EVERYTHING FROM HAVING COCHLEAR: Nucleus Freedom.

Advanced Bionics, mainly because it self-adjusts without the need to have so many programs for every sound situation. This is due to the Fidelity 120 electrode steering technology. If I ever need assistance, their services are located in the U.S. and information or accessories are easily expedited to you instead of making a visit to the audiologist - for which I only obtain mapping sessions from. It also comes with a t-mic accessory which takes the place of the ear hook. The microphone is nestled just outside my ear canal, and it enables me to immediately answer my cell phone without the need for a separate program.

Anytime I need assistance with mappings, a Cochlear rep can be sent to my area within days since they have regional reps around the country.

As for separate programs for the phone, I don't use any since I'm able to hear without the need for T-coil or anything else.

Re: self-adjusting programs. Cochlear has the same features with Whisper, Beam, ADRO and autosensivity. They are part of your pre-existing map and do not count as a separate program.

I myself am choosing Advanced Bionics for whenever I do get the implant. I'm sure Cochlear's Freedom is an excellent device, but AB just really impressed me with their options. I mean, the T-mic? That is a pretty awesome feature and it sounds to be really useful from what other AB users have said. There's other things about AB's Harmony that I'm really impressed with too, but I'm so tired right now I can't remember everything. But AB is the one I want to get for myself, and I've been researching all 3 brands since 2002.

Hi Ron,

Good luck with your CI Journey. After reading all the literature I felt both AB and Nucleus Freedom would be equally good. I chose the Nucleus Freedom because when I tried the dummy processors on I found the Nucleus Freedom to be more comfortable, for me. I have been happy with my choice.

Re: self-adjusting programs. Cochlear has the same features with Whisper, Beam, ADRO and autosensivity. They are part of your pre-existing map and do not count as a separate program.

The above programs for your CI are separate programs that modifies the sound a certain way, not self adjusting as the Fidelity 120 map is only available with AB. I only use 2 programs, HiRes 120 and accessory, that's it.

Hi Ron,
I chose the Nucleus Freedom for a variety of reasons, recharageable batteries or disposable batteries, four different programs, sensitivity and volume control, the CD Sound and Way beyond listening training for adults was a big plus. I wish you the best during your endeavor. It is a journey that can not be explained.

The above programs for your CI are separate programs that modifies the sound a certain way, not self adjusting as the Fidelity 120 map is only available with AB. I only use 2 programs, HiRes 120 and accessory, that's it.

I don't have any additions to my maps except for autosensitivity, so none of these features are those I use. I only use 2 programs myself. P1 is a louder program while P2 is a softer program. Regardless of whether they are separate programs or not, many people don't seem to mind one way or the other and find them to be quite helpful. I know this is certainly the case for me when it comes to autosensitivity. To each their own.

I had difficult decison between AB and Freedom. They are very good as each other.

Freedom won me over the batteries choice (I sails and often are at sea many days at time)
Gore-tex Microphone again because I sail and this microphone covers are very easy to replace and we have at least 4 spares in the box.
I am able to use either BTE on the Ear or on the shoulder just by changing the Coil for long ones and put pin on the BTE.
Accessorise input, Just press one button to music program, turn off, plug in, switch back on and hey presto I am listening to music.

Many Many different programs to choose from. Currently I am using 2 of the most used programs which is Music (at one button change) and normal everyday program, i have four programs one is louder of normal and the other one is old map.

And of course the LCD so i can see whats wrong with my CI and which program i am on.

Write pros, cons and look at your lifestyle and decide from that.... Good luck.

I picked cochlear corp because it was best fit to my lifestyle
In that time it was only brand that have both rechargeable and disposable battery option I found that extremely useful (and right now med-el have that option), because it had mini bte (I have small ear)
Because it have PINK and BLUE full bte color option! Their style look best to me, backward and future tech compatible (all brand now have it)
Simpler sound processing (all 22 electrodes work together)
4 program slot option, LED screen is HUGE help for me I can see what program I'm on and when its time to attach to tv or music player I can push and wait to see EA to show up then I'll know its working
Coil appearance look best to me,
Hmmm self curling array, soft tip to try preserve residual hearing most reliable implant over all.

But Med-el have improved massively this year it have disposable and rechargeable battery option now, their bte look better now compared to year ago it was upside down L shape, their option for baby worn is best over all (only coil on head and the bte will be in straight shape not curved or L shaped and pinned to back compared to huge box AB have for baby worn and cochlear have top half on ear and bottom half pinned back or you can put whole curved bte in plastic that pin on the body. ,
Med-el have longest array over all its 31 mm long and it get almost whole cochlea coverage so you get full high to low frequency compared to other 2 that only cover frequency that speech is in, and improved internal implant appearance instead of old ceramic design, if you want to enjoy low frequency I'd opt you to get med-el, if you have complicated case, med-el, and if you're only concerned about speech sound then cochlear corp/AB and if you want fancy individual working electrodes that can work together, single or 2 at a time whatever you want then AB, if you want that work together, cochlear, if you want only rechargeable option, AB, if you want natural receiving sound (t-mic is microphone that's right by ear canal) AB if you want standard mic that you're so used to from hearing aid, cochlear corp, if you want basic color but still have option to change back panel and coil color, AB if you want cool color for full bte cochlear (it have silver, black blue and pink for "cool" color or plain like beige and brown)
Cochlear corp handle up to 1.3 tesla for mri which is standard mri strength but there's new mri that's double in the strength so there's risk if you don't have medical id bracelet and unconcious.
All brands is great you can't go wrong with any of them
Good Luck!

Thank you everyone. You've given me a lot to consider.

This is a tough decision.

Ron

Well, I just found out that I'm a candidate for the CI and I'll be getting one.

It's interesting because the results of this poll is pretty close to what my audi said. She said that about 80% of the people who get a CI from her office get the Nucleus Freedom. Thanks for your replies. It was helpful in making my decision.

Right now I'm waiting to find out the date of my surgery.

Ron

Back