Where to send our HOH kids?

Yes, I got into a bitter debate with the author of that letter. As I have been in communication with the school I know HOH kids can get in IF parents can pay. The writer over simplified and just believes hearing some is hearing. Also noted they told me HOH steal the attention from DEAF. Not true at all, we are just sick and tired of being ignored in both worlds. My ranting is done as I am forcing the issue in my area.

Last edited:
Yes, I got into a bitter debate with the author of that letter. As I have been in communication with the school I know HOH kids can get in IF parents can pay. The writer over simplified and just believes hearing some is hearing. Also noted they told me HOH steal the attention from DEAF. Not true at all, we are just dick and tired of being ignored in both worlds. My ranting is done as I am forcing the issue in my area.

Excuse me, kind ma'am. You have a typo. ^^

Oops. Sure enough do. But it sounds the same to me, lol. But in all seriousness sorry

Yes, I got into a bitter debate with the author of that letter. As I have been in communication with the school I know HOH kids can get in IF parents can pay. The writer over simplified and just believes hearing some is hearing. Also noted they told me HOH steal the attention from DEAF. Not true at all, we are just sick and tired of being ignored in both worlds. My ranting is done as I am forcing the issue in my area.

Proud of you lady! Even mildly HOH kids might benifit from ASL/deaf school/deaf program..........I love how people who are all "my kid can just be included"... NOT everyone has access to good schools or well trained teachers...it's no longer 1975 anymore...heck,our system can barely educate hearing/nondisabled kids....how is it supposed to educate dhh or disabled kids?

Proud of you lady! Even mildly HOH kids might benifit from ASL/deaf school/deaf program..........I love how people who are all "my kid can just be included"... NOT everyone has access to good schools or well trained teachers...it's no longer 1975 anymore...heck,our system can barely educate hearing/nondisabled kids....how is it supposed to educate dhh or disabled kids?

They really do get in the way in a deaf program for deaf kids who really need the service.

They are different. If there was a specific hh program for "even mildly HOH kids" it would be a different story.

But in the classroom, that mix is not effective.

They really do get in the way in a deaf program for deaf kids who really need the service.

They are different. If there was a specific hh program for "even mildly HOH kids" it would be a different story.

If you dont see it as effective, how well do you think our HOH kids cope in hearing classrooms where the assumption is they can hear. Yes accomidations can be made but in classrooms of 30-40 kids and ONE teacher, they seem to "forget" the one student can't hear them and dont use the accomidations. I mean really, how can you expect HOH to succeed much less excel?

I have students who are HOH and they don't get in the way for deaf children. All children regardless of their hearing status receive the same level of instruction through ASL and English.

I treat my HOH students the same as my deaf children. Myself and the other teachers never think about their hearing status.

So, I don't know how HOH kids get in the way in a deaf program. Not sure what you mean by that.

I have students who are HOH and they don't get in the way for deaf children. All children regardless of their hearing status receive the same level of instruction through ASL and English.

I treat my HOH students the same as my deaf children. Myself and the other teachers never think about their hearing status.

So, I don't know how HOH kids get in the way in a deaf program. Not sure what you mean by that.

Mildly hoh?

Mildly hoh?

I have never analyzed any of my students' dB levels so I don't know how mild their hearing losses are but we have had students who could talk on the phone using their hearing aids or even hear without their hearing aids but they still need ASL. While at work, several of us don't think about stuff like that. However, we do have HOH students so that's why I posted.

I have never analyzed any of my students' dB levels so I don't know how mild their hearing losses are but we have had students who could talk on the phone using their hearing aids or even hear without their hearing aids but they still need ASL. While at work, several of us don't think about stuff like that. However, we do have HOH students so that's why I posted.

I understand, but "mildly hoh" was the specific part I was responding to, and they do not meet the admission criteria.

You may not think of db level, but it is tested and assessed before they can be admitted.

I absolutely can't get over the question " how bad is your hearing" or "how deaf are you" I shows that point of not deaf enough for some and yet not hearing enough for the rest.... yet it shows up over and over.

I understand, but "mildly hoh" was the specific part I was responding to, and they do not meet the admission criteria.

You may not think of db level, but it is tested and assessed before they can be admitted.

What if they're at risk for progressive loss thou? I do think the overwhelming majority of bilateral HOH kids COULD strongly benifit from a dhh ed setting (whether deaf school,dhh program, or magnent program) But someone who is mildly HOH (ie unilateral loss not expected to progress) could generally do very well with traditional mainstream HOH interventions (ie FM,monitored by a TOD,etc)

I think I know why......There is a REALLY horrible TOD (shel knows who I am talking about ;)) who basicly assumes that inclusion= perfect setting for HOH kids, and that the deaf school is *only* for kids who can't learn to speak/hack it in a hearing school.........since Delaware is so tiny, she is VERY influential....:(
Stay here.....HOH stuff is welcome espcially since your daughter is becoming bilateral HOH.
I do hear you about Deaf schools and all....Wish they were promoted as an active altenative to the mainstream....Look into camps....heck maybe look into moving?

This. All very good points here.

Also my two cents, as a parent I would also say it's very important 1) Know your kids and how they function across several different environments in terms of communication, and 2) Look into all available options, including Deaf schools, camps.

If they are oral/can speak, they won't lose their ability to speak if they go to a Deaf school. Deaf schools, and at the very least Deaf camps, could do wonders for self-esteem and social life. Though make sure they group kids according to academic ability at a Deaf school though, and if they don't, how well does the teacher individualize and/ or differentiate to teach to the individual. Depends on your kids ages though.

I succeeded very well in mainstream environments with minimal accommodations from a 'using my residual hearing' and 'academic performance' standpoint, and I have bilateral severe profound deafness. Socially, it was a nightmare up until middle school however. So if you decide mainstream, it's still a good idea to supplement with deaf/hoh camps or social groups for social experience, identity, positive self-esteem. It is all very individual. There is no clear-cut answer in terms of educational environments. But there are many paths and it can take some trial and error but eventually you will find what works best in your child's and family's individual situation.

250hz---105db
500hz---100db
1000hz--95db
2000hz--85db
4000hz-75db
6000hz--110 or 115db (audiogram goes up to 100db so this was off its chart)
8000hz-100db
SDT: 90db
SD: 40% 100db/20% 95db; avg. 30%

just wanted to share someone elses story....

I know that there are probably a lot of parents who think that their kid may be "too hearing"/too oral for a deaf school. (very common myth) I chat often with a 16 year old girl who educationally looked like very classic HOH ...She was dealing with all the typical HOH mainstreamed issues.(social struggle, being on the edge of what was going on in the mainstream, getting bad educational supports etc)She was smart and doing B work academicly, so she thought that was OK.... I and another HOH woman kept encouraging her to transfer to Texas School for the Deaf. She went to summer camp there and loved it, and was going to go but psyched herself out....She spent most of this school year miserable and buying into "Oh I'm too hearing....I'm doing fine in the mainstream" thinking. I and the other woman kept encouraging her to transfer as she would be happier. She finally transferred to TSD about a month ago.....and absolutely loves it.. She's getting awesome grades, her social life is BLOOMING, she's involved with everything..I'm mindblown with the change. Today she messaged me with a funny incident involving a friend....she said that she never would have experienced an incident like that in the mainstream...she says she finally feels a part of things. She also said that her mom (who was all about "oh we can get you everything in the mainstream orgionally") now says that my friend should have gone to TSD in middle school.......Point here being....keep an open mind about educational placement...Opting for a specialized placement may really help your kid to blossom in ways you can't imagine (and a lot of those ways ie social abilty etc can REALLY help all types of dhh kids, in all sorts of ways)

Back