Where to go for summer to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikew13

Reaction score
I am wanting to take a break from my surroundings for 3.5 months.

I want to know of towns/cities under 50k population in the following states: MT,WY,ID,OK,TX,CO where it is easy for the hearing impaired to find employment and rent is low. Not interested in any other states other than I specified.
I am 34, hearing impaired, don't use sign.

What kind of employment? What do you do?
Can you take remote positions? Then you can live anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm been application Arkansas School for the Deaf (ASD) twice and not hired me makes me MAD! And I'm decide to send my jobs resumes to my school at Kansas State school for the Deaf (KSD) but I would like work with kids as parafessional daytimes my mom asked me its same dormitory? I says yes! And I'm filled out applications to KSD they send mail today

But I'm grew up at Kansas State school for the Deaf (KSD) its my blood in my life I know KSD in faculties its good memories for me..

I'm been application Arkansas School for the Deaf (ASD) twice and not hired me makes me MAD! And I'm decide to send my jobs resumes to my school at Kansas State school for the Deaf (KSD) but I would like work with kids as parafessional daytimes my mom asked me its same dormitory? I says yes! And I'm filled out applications to KSD they send mail today

But I'm grew up at Kansas State school for the Deaf (KSD) its my blood in my life I know KSD in faculties its good memories for me..
Mad? They hire the fittest, so if the shoe doesnt fit they keep looking. No reason to get Mad, they look for who they feel fits the bill.
If every kid gets awarded then everyone expects something ( oh wait, they do ) so they need to stop that !!!
But they have guidelines they have to follow and if your number didnt come up, it may next time or elsewhere, getting mad isnt going to change that but it will change you... it wasnt meant to be and another opportunity is awaiting.

Mad? They hire the fittest, so if the shoe doesnt fit they keep looking. No reason to get Mad, they look for who they feel fits the bill.
If every kid gets awarded then everyone expects something ( oh wait, they do ) so they need to stop that !!!
But they have guidelines they have to follow and if your number didnt come up, it may next time or elsewhere, getting mad isnt going to change that but it will change you... it wasnt meant to be and another opportunity is awaiting.
What you said.

What is Hearing impaired?

Even through I am severe profound, I spend 95% of my time with my hearing aids off, TV on mute/no sound. I am more comfortable without sound. I don't like music cause it gives me an headache.

What kind of employment? What do you do?
Can you take remote positions? Then you can live anywhere.

Anything that involves measuring metal stock and cutting it, manual mill and lathe operations.
Shipping operations with UPS, FedEx, Post Office, I know how to use shipping software.
Maybe a ranch within a small town?

giphy.gif

Hearing-impaired – This term is no longer accepted by most in the community but was at one time preferred, largely because it was viewed as politically correct. To declare oneself or another person as deaf or blind, for example, was considered somewhat bold, rude, or impolite. At that time, it was thought better to use the word “impaired” along with “visually,” “hearing,” “mobility,” and so on. “Hearing-impaired” was a well-meaning term that is not accepted or used by many deaf and hard of hearing people.

For many people, the words “deaf” and “hard of hearing” are not negative. Instead, the term “hearing-impaired” is viewed as negative.

https://www.nad.org/resources/ameri...unity-and-culture-frequently-asked-questions/

Last edited:
Anything that involves measuring metal stock and cutting it, manual mill and lathe operations.
Shipping operations with UPS, FedEx, Post Office, I know how to use shipping software.
Maybe a ranch within a small town?
I doubt that someone will hire a temporary worker, especially out of state. But you need to try.
"Lady Luck favors the one who tries".

UPS, FedEx, Post Office are not easy place to get. They offer some benefits, so the hiring process might be as long as 3.5+ months.
At my last job search, it took 4 months from sending the resume, then getting a job offer. There were multiple interviews.
Not for postal work though, but for giant tech company.

Last edited:
I doubt that someone will hire a temporary worker, especially out of state. But you need to try.

UPS, FedEx, Post Office are not easy place to get. They offer some benefits, so the hiring process might be as long as 3.5+ months.
At my last job search, it took 4 months from sending the resume, then getting a job offer. There were multiple interviews.
ups hires part time, seasonal help. The processing areas have high turn over rates. I know many who work and have worked there.

ups hires part time, seasonal help. The processing areas have high turn over rates. I know many who work and have worked there.
I see, interesting.
What is their common salary per hour? Benefits?

No for postal work though, but for giant tech company.

I did applying UPS twice and UPS not hired me!! Makes me pissed off because I'm deaf and also post office wouldn't hired me also but I'm so mad!

I did applying UPS twice and UPS not hired me!! Makes me pissed off because I'm deaf and also post office wouldn't hired me also but I'm so mad!
So sorry to hear, that you didn't get hired. Job hunt is definitely a difficult and stressful process. I've had a lot of rejections too, but that is "normal" process, as there is a competition.
Somebody gets hired, and somebody not. It is up to employer to decide who is the best fit.

Before I landed my current job, I got 2 rejections on 2 different positions from Apple Inc. :)

Do you work now?

I see, interesting.
What is their common salary per hour? Benefits?
$10 hr. Benefits depends,I think you have to be full time to get it but unsure about that part. They are always hiring here for the general sorting areas, people just looking for some quick money. Those who stay and work eventually lead into full time positions.

Maybe your attitude is shining.... They sense something. USPS is extremely hard to get on ( you need to be physically fit to walk the routes ) and so physical appearance may suggest otherwise as well.

USPS is crazy and don't give a hoot about you and your health problems. I have a friend who works there for years. I think she is a bit crazy, but my hat is off to her. Her position (Data Conversion Operator) once used to be considered part-time and no benefits while she worked full time. She had to re-apply her same position repeatedly to keep her job. It took her 10 years to finally get benefits from USPS. And she is not deaf. She is hearing. A few years ago, she depends on her wheelchair and walker while recovering due to her car accident (she was T-boned). She still works there in her condition. Her femur was broken in half and it took two years for her femur to heal together.

Well, if you are willing to work for USPS, you have to be crazy. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back