where the ASL men at?

GoKiGOki48rs

Reaction score
i noticed there been ALOT ALOT of women that had taken asl signing classes but less men re taking them too.. but whats wrong with hearing men that afraid to take a classes that re too easy for them? IMO!! IT IS REALLY REALLY easy to learn the signs but only that depends how good they catching up by reading the signs/letters/words and etc... - with their eyes, i mean.
:ugh:
but i had seen RARELY hearing males re taking signing classes but what about in ur hometown or where u living now, did u seen any many many men that re taking signing classes?? :squint:

I've taken the ASL class in college last year and there were more girls than guys in the class...*shrugs*

Have you ever considered the male:female ratio at your school?

We've got a lot of male interpreters at RIT. However, most of them are gay... which would then be like saying that we have "female" interpreters.

That’s always been true, but it’s starting to change. One of my instructors brought up this subject on the first day of class a couple of years ago. He remarked that every semester he was seeing more and more men taking his classes. When he wondered aloud as to what the explanation for this was, one smartass in the back of the room quipped "well, we finally figured out where all the girls are." :lol:

When I took ASL in college, there were also more women in my classes than men...and of course, most of the class members were part time students and the ASL class was their only courseload...there were only about 8 students in my class (including myself) who were full time students at that college. The rest of them were there to either learn to become interpreters or simply to get out of the house and learn a new language while they were at it. :)

Malfoyish

I work in an ASL Lab in a community college, and I would say that there are about 1 guy for every 5 to 6 girls in the ASL program. I do think that women are more interested in sign language than men, but why, I don't know. This would make a fine thesis topic for a research paper!

I noticed that too when i took ASL class which my good friend teaches, she is an excellent interpreter too!..My husband learned sign language from me, heh! I supposed its because..these women learn ASL then they teach it to thier husbands/boyfriends to save money? haha..

Probably because some men have to work hard while their spouses who do not have to work could enjoy attending classes of their choice.

I am sure those interested in sign languages would pick a copy of some books to learn signs. :)

also some men took ASL class for their foriegn Language credits required by many University

and men things its too easy to learn and just take it :roll:

Brian said:
I am sure those interested in sign languages would pick a copy of some books to learn signs. :)

learning from books<~:nono: doesnt work at all cos theres alot of differs of slang languages upon their prefences of ways on signing depends on their grammars if they want to speak with hands..

GoKiGOki48rs said:
i noticed there been ALOT ALOT of women that had taken asl signing classes but less men re taking them too.. but whats wrong with hearing men that afraid to take a classes that re too easy for them? IMO!! IT IS REALLY REALLY easy to learn the signs but only that depends how good they catching up by reading the signs/letters/words and etc... - with their eyes, i mean.
but i had seen RARELY hearing males re taking signing classes but what about in ur hometown or where u living now, did u seen any many many men that re taking signing classes?? :squint:
One word: Pride :)

You know how men are with pride. Men often don't want to feel humiliate by having others to see that they don't know how and such. It is normal for us (men), I suppose. I once worked as ASL tutor and assistance to ASL teacher, I can see the effects on men who participated compare to women.. they (women) are more openly (not all do...) to many things than men do. Shyness is one of factors as well.

Give them some time and they will bounce back with motivate attitude. Or maybe never will.. well, their loss.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Actually, the guys at my lab do seem to sign much better and more aggressive than the ladies.
I have noticed that men are much more creative with classifiers and actions than women students.
They always end up making the ladies laugh, which is probably why they do it.

MAYBE some of men are lazy and not wanna do learn ASL! but i might be wrong...

HELLO!.. im just the ASL man you are asking about. I am currently in school, training (general studies first.) at Pima comm. College to be a sign language interpreter. my parents are deaf, so i wanted to help more deaf/ H.I/ or H.oH people. Deaf culture is an ever evolving and really interesting phenomenon which has caught on with quite a few people..especially men AND women who are young and virile. peace and respect, thanks alot.

GoKiGOki48rs said:

what difference does it make, just be happy that people are taking them.

Magatsu said:
One word: Pride :)

You know how men are with pride. Men often don't want to feel humiliate by having others to see that they don't know how and such. It is normal for us (men), I suppose. I once worked as ASL tutor and assistance to ASL teacher, I can see the effects on men who participated compare to women.. they (women) are more openly (not all do...) to many things than men do. Shyness is one of factors as well.

Give them some time and they will bounce back with motivate attitude. Or maybe never will.. well, their loss.

Cheers!

Yes I agree. I am sure that there are lots of men who are interested in learning how to sign but their prides are in their ways! I ve been working with hearing people in my office. I often heard my co workers (who are men) saying that they want to learn so badly. Then I ask them that they can always sign up at community college where they have ASL classes for anyone. They say, "yeah thats true.. umm" I get some hints that they do want to but feel awkward and shy. Of course, I will continue to tell them that they can do it with GOOD positives. ;)

also i notice most men take ASL class to become interpreter who have a deaf relative or deaf friend.

there is simply concept.

When there is deaf girl, who have hearing boyfriend which seem not eager learn sign language.

When there is deaf boy, who have hearing girlfriend which seem very eager to learn sign language.

Therefore, females are more eager than male. I admit, I, male, being lazy-bone. ;)

TweetyBird said:
MAYBE some of men are lazy and not wanna do learn ASL! but i might be wrong...

So why havnt you learned french yet, are you lazy and do not wanna learn? Yes i had to point out how dumb that post sounded. Why people dont want to learn a forign language is their own buisness. If they have no desire to learn its probobly because they dont know enough deaf people where it would be worth their bother, or just dont care, either way, :gives:

Back