Where does one meet deaf people?

You can find deaf people in Mordor. It is in the southeast of northwestern Middle-earth to the East of Anduin, the great river. Orodruin, a volcano in Mordor, was the destination of Thomas Gallaudet (and later Laurent Clerc and I King Jordan) in the quest to destroy audism. Mordor was unique because of the three enormous mountain ranges surrounding it, from the north, from the west and from the south. The mountains both protected the land from an unexpected invasion by any of the people living in those directions and kept those living in Mordor from escaping from ASL.

If there's a theatre offering open captioned movies at select times, that could be a good one. I remember seeing Avatar a couple years ago at a sold out show and at least 25% were deaf. And when I saw Puss In Boots, lots of deaf families/kids for that show. Does not apply if they have closed caption for all times/shows.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

you just gotta make your presence known. Your face needs to be shown in deaf circles before you even be attempted to be part of the group, just like hearing people. Look at it this way - when you move, you make yourself known by going to new school, new stores to do shopping, go for a run on the trail, sit in the park to enjoy the day, etc. Eventually- someone might notice and introduce themselves or you can. Either way- someone gotta break the ice depending on the person personallity.

here in the USA, we have deaf festivals, deaf coffee,deaf cruises, VRS shows, deaf clubs, deaf sports,open/closed captioned movies in theaters.

I did a simple word search for deaf in ontario, canada and here is what I found:

Ontario Association of the Deaf
Welcome to The Canadian Hearing Society
Home
Deaf Ontario TV - DOTV
Ontario Deaf Sports

You can do your own search and find what is interesting to you .do something you would like to do and that would encourage you to be part of the deaf/HoH culture.

There's deaf events all the time...it just depends how far you live from them. In my town there aren't really too many events. Every 1st Sunday of the month here at Starbucks is a deaf event, but not a lot of people go and I know like every other month there's one at Pizza hut. If you're taking ASL classes at school, ask your instructor if there's any events coming up. Usually there should be a posting or flyer about an upcoming event in ASL classes. Good luck.

You can find deaf people in Mordor. It is in the southeast of northwestern Middle-earth to the East of Anduin, the great river. Orodruin, a volcano in Mordor, was the destination of Thomas Gallaudet (and later Laurent Clerc and I King Jordan) in the quest to destroy audism. Mordor was unique because of the three enormous mountain ranges surrounding it, from the north, from the west and from the south. The mountains both protected the land from an unexpected invasion by any of the people living in those directions and kept those living in Mordor from escaping from ASL.

Sounds like a similar description in Lord of the Rings with Mordor ?? ;)

As for meeting Deafies -- well gotta be brave and confront them.. Although yea we often get approached by people who barely know sign language that wanna just show us their sign language skills.

Happens to me alot -- even yesterday while I was at library with my daughter and her 2 friends helping each other with homework.. Another middle school boy just walked up to our table asking if we're Deaf.. I told yea all of us are Deaf! That seems to be all he wanted to say and just walked away! :P Girls were giggling about it after the conversation was over. Ah well! LoL

Not sure about Canada area but noticed DPHH got renamed to "Deaf Night Out" -- if have something like that .. or you could always spread the word and host it. Might be a slow start at first but eventually starts expanding by word of mouth.

Other places I've seen ASL students check out besides Silent Dinner, Expo, Starbucks, local Deaf events -- are also at Deaf ministry in different church. Best of luck to you. ;)

I too have trouble finding deaf events but I'm not in Toronto I'm four hours going south. But I will be going to my first volunteer comitee meeting at the CHS in my hometown so hopefully there i can meet with people and also i keep getting told about some event at Boston Pizza.

Jehovah's Witnesses would love to have you visit one of their ASL congregations. The entire meeting and all discussions are in ASL. To find an ASL congregation in your area, please visit jw.org. Select "log in" (top right), click "Look up" (top center LEFT) adjust the criteria for your country, state, city and language and you will get a list of congregations, addresses and days/times.

We'd love to meet you. Hope this helps

Lin

Back