Where does one meet deaf people?

owlpizza

Reaction score
Hiya,
I'm a hearing female and I took up ASL when I was about 5 (We learned ASL because we have a kid who was hearing impaired, and I also wanted to impress a deaf kid in my class at the time. The things I did for love!) and I kind of lost most of it but I took it back up when I was 15 (I'm 18 now) just out of interest, and I'm not the best, but I can sign fairly well. Buuuttt, all of my friends are hearing and don't sign so I find it hard to keep up the signing if I can't communicate with someone who signs. And signing to myself is helping me not lose it, but obviously if I'm communicating with someone else would help.
So where would one find deaf people or even just people who sign? Obviously I want to be friends with them because of common interests, values, etc,. and not just because they sign or are deaf. And I'm not implying like deaf people just chill in like "the Deaf Village" or something. I dunno. I feel awkward going to like community centres or clubs catered to the deaf and hearing impaired just to find someone.

So, if it's TL;DR, I'm hearing, I am losing my ASL skills, and I want to know of an easy and organic way of meeting other people who use ASL - hearing or not.
Thanks. And if I offended anyone for not being politically correct, I'm sorry.

You can meet deaf people at drag strips bragging about their turbocharged and supercharged engines.

Starbucks.

All deaf people drink excessive amounts of coffee.

Starbucks.

All deaf people drink excessive amounts of coffee.

This is true.. there's a cafe here that's owned and operated by deaf people. Being in there is like being in H. G. Wells' "Country of the Blind" :)

What turbo chargers? Our car is run by little hamsters on a wheel! :wave:

And if they run fast enough, they run out of food, and then all their little stomachs start growling, which accounts for the turbo noise :P

Hiya,
I'm a hearing female and I took up ASL when I was about 5 (We learned ASL because we have a kid who was hearing impaired, and I also wanted to impress a deaf kid in my class at the time. The things I did for love!) and I kind of lost most of it but I took it back up when I was 15 (I'm 18 now) just out of interest, and I'm not the best, but I can sign fairly well. Buuuttt, all of my friends are hearing and don't sign so I find it hard to keep up the signing if I can't communicate with someone who signs. And signing to myself is helping me not lose it, but obviously if I'm communicating with someone else would help.
So where would one find deaf people or even just people who sign? Obviously I want to be friends with them because of common interests, values, etc,. and not just because they sign or are deaf. And I'm not implying like deaf people just chill in like "the Deaf Village" or something. I dunno. I feel awkward going to like community centres or clubs catered to the deaf and hearing impaired just to find someone.

So, if it's TL;DR, I'm hearing, I am losing my ASL skills, and I want to know of an easy and organic way of meeting other people who use ASL - hearing or not.
Thanks. And if I offended anyone for not being politically correct, I'm sorry.

honestly? you just have to keep your eyes open. it helps if you interact with customers at your job. For example today i ended up having a conversation with three deaf friends who came into my clothing store. it was the most amazing/cool feeling ever, because i'm the only one at work who can sign at all. And for me scenarios like that seem to be happening more frequently. but work or not wherever you go just keep your eyes peeled. and if you want someone to practice with, you could Skype with me! i could definitely use A LOT more practice.

honestly? you just have to keep your eyes open. it helps if you interact with customers at your job. For example today i ended up having a conversation with three deaf friends who came into my clothing store. it was the most amazing/cool feeling ever, because i'm the only one at work who can sign at all. And for me scenarios like that seem to be happening more frequently. but work or not wherever you go just keep your eyes peeled. and if you want someone to practice with, you could Skype with me! i could definitely use A LOT more practice.

Thanks! Well, I used to work at a pizza place. I got fired, so I am looking for a job.
I still find it weird. Like, in my city, people are pretty unfriendly. They could drop something, and if you try and get their attention to let them know, they look at you like "Who are you and why are you talking to me?"
My issue is that I just don't want it to seem forced. I do want a genuine friendship or at least acquaintanceship.

I signed up on this site yesterday just so I can ask this question. I dunno how this really works, but if you know how, message me and we can exchange Skype usernames and whatnot. :aw:

Toronto, Ontario

oh? interesting!

I just got back from Toronto few days ago and I've met at least 30 deafies. wonderful folks.

where to meet them? hmmm..... I don't know if there's a "deaf night out" out there but I'm sure there is. I've met a bunch of them because of one friend.

Head down to the Distillery District, and check out the Deaf Culture Centre. Ask about volunteering or upcoming events to participate in. The Deaf community in Toronto is very friendly.

Back