Where do deaf students go to school?

ShermanPearson

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Today, we are raised and developed in a peaceful environment. For that we have to thank generations ahead. Besides those who are born well, there are children born unlucky with the deformities: dumb, deaf, ... I do not know that such deaf people have their own environment to learn. practice or not?
Thanks everyone.

Physical challenges sometimes do not matter. I remember one boy in Elementary School born without a wrist or hand as a baby. For him its a total normal birth, development etc. He is missing nothing. Just a wrist and hand? pffth. We challenged him one day and in those days its a 30 foot two inch rope to the Gym Roof.

Up he went, down he came. Up again. and asked all of us whats the big deal? From that time on he was one of us. I suppose they could fit him with a bionic hand but its not worth the hassle for him because again he was not missing anything. He knows it would be nice to have a pair of hands etc but he himself never missed having just one.

Regarding the old term deaf and dumb that was retired into the 70's I myself am not certain however it is a little bit hurtful as a term because being deaf is not a problem of itself. You dont miss that you cannot hear. Your body and mind has already compenstated using the other senses already. Its Society that demands a deaf to hear and speak which again sometimes is non sequester. Education is the big expense. Bigger than just a ordinary public school. In Maryland's Case, the deaf school system is directly by Law to the State Legislature through the Board of Trustees and so forth. I think when we went, the budget was running almost 10 million a year. And on that you had to take care of a few hundred children and staff plus support the buildings and so on. In those days 10 million would be like around 30 million today at least due to inflation of worthless dollars.

In Columbia we had a special wing for those who medically or mental health required caregivers to be with them 24/7 they still got a education but again worked somewhat isolated from the rest of us normal children. Once in a blue moon someone will be successful enough to transfer to be with us so called normal deaf kids in school on that side of the campus however were handicapped in wheelchair or other things. I remember one in particular he was wheelchair bound. Mornings were hard on him as the staff constantly hounded him to be dressed before breakfast. Im not sure whatever happened to him because he was no longer with us into high school years.

I think they removed him because the more they hounded and stressed him to get dressed NOW tick tock etc with 8 minutes to go before going to breakfast pretty much caused him to lock them out mentally as a result of being in a bad place being yelled at etc.

For that the State has other Institutions and Resources. Springfield Hospital comes mostly to mind there. From what i understand I myself was almost committed to that place because I was not gaining or keeping pace with others at 5. Hence the reason for a very special doctor to test me one day to see if I am just deaf, HOH or mentally retarded in those days. Fortunately they found I was deaf and everything else was working upstairs (Such as it is) I gained a lifetime of freedom as it were.

Deformaties today? Well... I am not current on that unless you deal with Trucking Accidents that mashed people and chopped up their bodies to where they healed in a year and returned to work with major and pernament changes from being maimed etc. Not necessarily as truckers. Its easier to think that where possible advancements in Bionic parts driven by the last 30 years of war in USA would improve where possible some of the deformed. If the person's Deformation exhibits as a horrorshow to normal people in open society then that person is probably kept sheltered and out of view as it were. There would not be TOO many of these. Which is another reason why I think this is not very common. I would have to go back to childhood to remember a few who I would term deformed in some ways. But not necessarily badly so if they were with the rest of us.

Hello everyone,
Today, we are raised and developed in a peaceful environment. For that we have to thank generations ahead. Besides those who are born well, there are children born unlucky with the deformities: dumb, deaf, ... I do not know that such deaf people have their own environment to learn. practice or not?
Thanks everyone.
Deaf schools :lol: but wait you calling deaf people as deformity, fuck you and go back to school!

i don't know why it filled in and posted a reply by me even thought i had not yet logged in. can anyone do that? what if they have not registered here?

in the case of the boy born with a missing wrist and hand, how can he use ASL?

I think I have seen posts by x1heavy, who posted the one about the boy born with a missing wrist and hand, having attended deaf and mainstream schools at different times as he was growing up. So there is no way of knowing if the boy with the missing parts is deaf or not. So . . . he may well not have any interest in ASL.

He was hearing.

If you had one hand, then if you are with deaf who are expert in langauge usually can make yourself understood on half a sign language so to speak.

If I was holding a bag of groceries talking to you with one hand, you as the deaf who is fluent in that sign language will fill in the rest following generally the gist of what I am trying to tell you.

Many basic signs were one handed. The other hand was more for decoration as it were.

There was a exhibition decades ago of the then new technology where artificial fingers and hands etc were completely able to be equal to a human hand except it could not feel anything (Picking a egg up or a anvil? You break egg) A investor was extolling the ability to connect to the arm nerves that control fingers etc and provide in some way for deaf to sign with the new hands.

In those days that was a bit of a pipe dream there were too many details not yet invented for connecting people to devices yet. But it was a start.

If I had no hands how do I sign? Well I'll clock you on the skull and point. point point point. And use the body and face expressions etc. *Shrugs.

Back