When Listening to Music...

HOH2000

Reaction score
When I listen to music with headphones, I take off my hearing aid to avoid feedback, in order to hear the music, I crank up the volume to the highest possible. On my phone, it says that if you listen at high volume for a long period of time, hearing damage may occur. Well, since I have a moderately severe to severe hearing loss, does it hurt to play music at top volume or is it a risk to lose the little hearing I have? :P :shock:

The risk is larger, since you have less healthy hair cells in the Cochlea. If a person with normal hearing listens to loud music and damage a few hair cells they still hear pretty well even if they might start to get hearing loss, but if you already have a hearing loss you have much more to loose. There is no extra capacity of hair cells, and you kind of need those you have left.

I suggest talking to your audiologist. It much easier and better sound quality if you use a streamer to stream sound to your hearing aids. I really prefer it to head phones. Different hearing aid brands have different streaming solutions. You can also use the streamer to answer phone calls or to connect sound from the tv or a microphone, it depends on the brand. Since you listen through your hearing aids the frequencies will be amplified correctly depending on you hearing loss. This means you are a litte less likely to damage your hearing compared to phones.

^ Thanks for the advice. I wasn't entirely sure. I've been thinking of getting a Phonak Com-Pilot. I have an appointment set up with my audiologist on February 1, so I'll bring it up then.

I have the same problem. I am moderate to server hearing loss and love listening to music. I first look up the lyrics and then listen to the song very loud, to everyone around me. I was told by audie not to but my ENT said it doesn't matter because my eardrums are rubbing against my ear bones. So my ear bone can break at any point which will ripe my eardrum and I will lose hearing completely anyways. So he said since I was going to lose it anyway might as well listen to my music were I can hear it until I can't hear anymore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

That was one of the reasons I went with the ReSounds for my new HAs that I just got a few weeks ago. I can play my music from my phone at a volume of even just 1 (out of 10) and still hear it because it is streamed directly from my phone to my HAs.

First of all, cranking up any electronic device to it's max volume is going to create distortion. If you have to crank up the volume to full, assuming you can understand it at full, you need a new aid. Second, to get rid of background noise you should use either a t-coil or an FM/Bluetooth system. Use headphones with higher t-coil setting, just like a phone. Use the FM system with mike off so you hear only the music. Finally, depending on your hearing loss, you need to understand that your brain is filling in the music(if you already know the songs). You are not hearing everything just like when you had normal hearing.

For years, I did the same thing. I cranked the volume on full. Once I figured out the distortion issue, music clarity increased. Depending on the hearing loss, you might get different results. But, one thing is certain, you can't get clear sound at max volume. Period.

There's an app for your phone and the computer "petralex hearing aid", whereby people with hearing loss hear better the world around and can listen to music

now with my ci I still crank it to "Ear Bleed" mode....doesnt matter anymore...lol

now with my ci I still crank it to "Ear Bleed" mode....doesnt matter anymore...lol

Yeah, with my CI, it seems like I will never hear the true decibel loudness from music, as if it was capped to a certain max point? I only notice distortion increasing the device volume, but if I increase the CI volume alternatively, I start to feel pressure in the inner ear, guessing where the electrode/cochlea juncture is at. So I balance the two for a strong beat. :P

Back