whats your linux

gnuuser

Reaction score
What is your linux os
I currently run pclinuxos, screamix, and caine1.5
but my collection exceeds 200 different vervions of linux

Do you mean What's your UNIX operating system you use?

I use Mac OS X. :)

Ubuntu 10.04, Kubuntu, Mepis 9, PuppyLinux, ChromeOS (downloaded it but haven't burnt to CD and tried it), MintLinux, PCLinuxOS, and several more. Yes, GNU User, there are alot of flavors of linuxes than Baskin Robbin 31 :lol:

Ubuntu is my first choice. I like Mepis because it works with older computers as well as newer and is stable when Ubuntu couldn't install on hard drive when there's certain type of picky hardware on board.. Puppy Linux was very useful for old old 500mhz Dell Latitude Laptop with 256mb memory and it did have good tethering software downloaded for BB Curve (now no longer using BB tho).

Currently, my kids system is running on Mephis and been running great for 6 month while Doz just crashed in a month or so. My daughter love it because she can freely browse through website without hit by virus.

Catty

Ubuntu 10.04, Kubuntu, Mepis 9, PuppyLinux, ChromeOS (downloaded it but haven't burnt to CD and tried it), MintLinux, PCLinuxOS, and several more. Yes, GNU User, there are alot of flavors of linuxes than Baskin Robbin 31 :lol:

Ubuntu is my first choice. I like Mepis because it works with older computers as well as newer and is stable when Ubuntu couldn't install on hard drive when there's certain type of picky hardware on board.. Puppy Linux was very useful for old old 500mhz Dell Latitude Laptop with 256mb memory and it did have good tethering software downloaded for BB Curve (now no longer using BB tho).

Currently, my kids system is running on Mephis and been running great for 6 month while Doz just crashed in a month or so. My daughter love it because she can freely browse through website without hit by virus.

Catty
PCat, you have experience with linx stuffs more then me.. So, I have a Q for you, I am wondering I can create linux OS on harddrive and window OS on other as separated HDD in the same rig without dual booth? I want to use linux for internet and customize, and window is for games only..

PCat, you have experience with linx stuffs more then me.. So, I have a Q for you, I am wondering I can create linux OS on harddrive and window OS on other as separated HDD in the same rig without dual booth? I want to use linux for internet and customize, and window is for games only..

In matter of fact, you still have to dual boot it. There are special device that allows you to use separate hard drive without reboot to select OS. It's a hard drive switch that allow you have up to 4 hard drives. You can boot up and then select OS you want then boot it up from there.

You can't run two OS from separate hard drive at the same time. What I did was swapping HDD (I don't swap hard drive, I just unplug cable and power jack and move it to another drive and plug it in). I do that all the time.

Ubuntu use Wubi installation, Install it on Windows. My issue is that if I save files in Ubuntu then reboot to Windows. Suppose Windows was hit by virus, Ubuntu's bootstrap program would be screwed. Happens to me. Dual boot is better and less headache. It may take time boot up unless you have best quality fast mobo. Asus, Abit, Gigabyte boards are 100% Linux compatible and it boots up really fast. My experience with defunct ABIT AV8 board was the best I've ever had. Ubuntu detects hardware so fast and it installs and afterward, I had it booted up to desktop less than 15 seconds. Until my cat zapped the IDE cable and it screwed up the mobo's IDE chipset. Oh well. (I left case cover open during winter and forgot to cover it).

. The only way you can run two OSes at same time are VMware or Virtual Box (I like VMware better). If you want to use VMware, you must have enough ram memory, good graphic card and fast processor to be able to run both OSes. It's best to install VmWare in Windows than Linux. Why?? Because Windows in VmWare don't run well. It's very picky about missing "hardware" and would not play games except basic games. Windows are a whiner. So Linux works very happily on VMware.

I've done with installing Linux into camera SDHC with special SDHC to IDE adapter. It works nicely on Linux but it will installs Windows but it's gonna take forever for Windows to boot up because SDHC reads and write slow. Windows need at least 65mbps read/write speed to get aorund quickly.

I've installed Linux in USB flashdrive many times. It's useful for emergency.

I've read that you can install Ubuntu or some Linux in smartphone such as Evo, Droid, and some Android phones.

I"ve turn on Compuz full on and love the "water effect" and other effects on my fast desktop. It looked so sexy. :lol:

Catty

I'm waiting for new Ubuntu 10.10 coming up soon!! I read that it will have Poulsbo driver ready for Netbooks so you don't have to download and install Poulsbo driver separately. They are working on to add nice features on Ubuntu to make it easier to install, configure ect and more hardware compatibilty.

Catty

my linux
penguin08.jpg

Yes I know that , but this is not what i looking for. Neverhteless you are right about dualboot like Catty's post#9 that example. :P

thank for link.. :D

In matter of fact, you still have to dual boot it. There are special device that allows you to use separate hard drive without reboot to select OS. It's a hard drive switch that allow you have up to 4 hard drives. You can boot up and then select OS you want then boot it up from there.

You can't run two OS from separate hard drive at the same time. What I did was swapping HDD (I don't swap hard drive, I just unplug cable and power jack and move it to another drive and plug it in). I do that all the time.

Ubuntu use Wubi installation, Install it on Windows. My issue is that if I save files in Ubuntu then reboot to Windows. Suppose Windows was hit by virus, Ubuntu's bootstrap program would be screwed. Happens to me. Dual boot is better and less headache. It may take time boot up unless you have best quality fast mobo. Asus, Abit, Gigabyte boards are 100% Linux compatible and it boots up really fast. My experience with defunct ABIT AV8 board was the best I've ever had. Ubuntu detects hardware so fast and it installs and afterward, I had it booted up to desktop less than 15 seconds. Until my cat zapped the IDE cable and it screwed up the mobo's IDE chipset. Oh well. (I left case cover open during winter and forgot to cover it).

. The only way you can run two OSes at same time are VMware or Virtual Box (I like VMware better). If you want to use VMware, you must have enough ram memory, good graphic card and fast processor to be able to run both OSes. It's best to install VmWare in Windows than Linux. Why?? Because Windows in VmWare don't run well. It's very picky about missing "hardware" and would not play games except basic games. Windows are a whiner. So Linux works very happily on VMware.
Catty
Catty, Many thanks for clarification I am really appreciated. I guess I have to use dualboot.

I use hot swap trays
set one up with the master hard drive and get some spare trays
with extra drives in these trays you can have a different os on each drive
shut down, swap, and reboot
easiest way and far more secure
here's a link where to get them

3.5'' Internal IDE Mobile Rack - Change Hard Drives Without Opening Your Case at 3B Tech - Buy computer parts, notebooks, desktops, & home electronics

you can get them for ide drives and sata drives

Better than cracking open CPU case to swap.

Catty

Ubuntu 10.10 full version will be out by Oct 10, 2010. FYI.

You can download beta version anytime now to Oct 10th.

Catty

Linux Distributions

Linux Distributions

•NEW XBMC – Site
•ZenWalk Live – Site
•PCLinuxOS MiniMe – Site
•TinyCore 3 – Site
•CentOS 5 – Site
•Fedora 13 – Site
•Ubuntu 9.10/10.04.1 Desktop i386/amd64 – Site
•Kubuntu 9.10/10.04.1 Desktop i386/amd64 – Site
•Redo Backup and Recovery 0.9.5 – Site
•Runt Linux 5.0 – Site
•Feather Linux 0.7.5 – Site
•Debian Live 5.0.5 – Site
•Peppermint Linux OS – Site
•GParted 0.6.1-2 – Site
•PartedMagic 5.1 – Site
•EasyPeasy 1.6 (NetBook Distro) – Site
•KNOPPIX V6.2.1 – Site
•DBAN 2.2.6 (Hard Disk Nuker) – Site
•RIP Linux 10.x – Site
•Dr.Web Live CD Scanner 5.03 – Site
•Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 – Site
•BackTrack 3 and 4 – Site
•YlmF OS V3.0 – Site
•Xubuntu 9.10/10.04 Desktop i386/amd64 – Site
•Lubuntu 10.04 Site
•Ubuntu NetBook Remix 10.04 – Site
•Ubuntu Rescue Remix Revision 1 – Site
•Ubuntu Server 9.10/10.04 32bit/64bit Installer – Site
•Ubuntu Mini Remix 10.04 – Site
•Linux Mint 9 – Site
•Crunchbang 9.04 – Site
•gOS 3.1 gadgets – Site
•Ultimate Boot CD – Site
•Gentoo 10.1 – Site
•xPUD 0.9.2 – Site
•Simply MEPIS 8.0.15 – Site
•EEEBuntu 3.0 (Netbook Distro) – Site
•DSL (Damn Small Linux) 4.4.9 – Site
•Puppy Linux – Site
•Puppy Arcade 8 (Console Game Emulator) – Site
•Kiwi Linux 9.04 – Site
•SLAX 6.1.2 – Site
•SliTaZ – Site
•Ophcrack XP – Site
•Clonezilla – Site
•Jolicloud (NetBook Distro) – Site
•Dynebolic 2.5.2 DHORUBA – Site
•PLoP Linux 4.0.5 (a minimalist Linux Rescue System) – Site
•System Rescue CD 1.5.4 (another Linux Rescue System) – Site

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Linux Distributions

Linux Distributions

•NEW XBMC – Site
•ZenWalk Live – Site
•PCLinuxOS MiniMe – Site
•TinyCore 3 – Site
•CentOS 5 – Site
•Fedora 13 – Site
•Ubuntu 9.10/10.04.1 Desktop i386/amd64 – Site
•Kubuntu 9.10/10.04.1 Desktop i386/amd64 – Site
•Redo Backup and Recovery 0.9.5 – Site
•Runt Linux 5.0 – Site
•Feather Linux 0.7.5 – Site
•Debian Live 5.0.5 – Site
•Peppermint Linux OS – Site
•GParted 0.6.1-2 – Site
•PartedMagic 5.1 – Site
•EasyPeasy 1.6 (NetBook Distro) – Site
•KNOPPIX V6.2.1 – Site
•DBAN 2.2.6 (Hard Disk Nuker) – Site
•RIP Linux 10.x – Site
•Dr.Web Live CD Scanner 5.03 – Site
•Lucid Puppy 5.0.1 – Site
•BackTrack 3 and 4 – Site
•YlmF OS V3.0 – Site
•Xubuntu 9.10/10.04 Desktop i386/amd64 – Site
•Lubuntu 10.04 Site
•Ubuntu NetBook Remix 10.04 – Site
•Ubuntu Rescue Remix Revision 1 – Site
•Ubuntu Server 9.10/10.04 32bit/64bit Installer – Site
•Ubuntu Mini Remix 10.04 – Site
•Linux Mint 9 – Site
•Crunchbang 9.04 – Site
•gOS 3.1 gadgets – Site
•Ultimate Boot CD – Site
•Gentoo 10.1 – Site
•xPUD 0.9.2 – Site
•Simply MEPIS 8.0.15 – Site
•EEEBuntu 3.0 (Netbook Distro) – Site
•DSL (Damn Small Linux) 4.4.9 – Site
•Puppy Linux – Site
•Puppy Arcade 8 (Console Game Emulator) – Site
•Kiwi Linux 9.04 – Site
•SLAX 6.1.2 – Site
•SliTaZ – Site
•Ophcrack XP – Site
•Clonezilla – Site
•Jolicloud (NetBook Distro) – Site
•Dynebolic 2.5.2 DHORUBA – Site
•PLoP Linux 4.0.5 (a minimalist Linux Rescue System) – Site
•System Rescue CD 1.5.4 (another Linux Rescue System) – Site

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
good find!

I am still little learning with Ubuntu 10.04 on my USB flash with 1GB on it and run off from USB and not yet install it.

I have old pc lay around without power supply and few old hard drives I could use it on Ubuntu 10.04 when I buy regular power supply and learn more from there.

I do not want install Ubuntu 10.04 on main windows 7 OS or dual-boot, just separate pc alone is best for me.

I can use Ubuntu 10.04 from live CD or USB better than nothing.

dg

::scratch head:: How you do that?

Here is a link for you at Download | Ubuntu

1. pick 32 or 64 bit of version for your pc.

2. live cd or usb right there with guide how to burn the cd or you prefer install ubuntu on any USB flash. ;)

if this your ubuntu first time, always start with live cd that mean ubuntu can boot up on pc without touch hard drive.

dg

Back