What's Your Biggest Frustration in the Tech World?

I could ask my husband if he sees any Python course with CC. Maybe he already saw it. I will ask him soon.

https://www.udacity.com/courses/all

Search for Python. Most, if not all, should be CC and free. They have several courses around Python. "Programming Foundations in Python" and "Data Structures and Algorithms in Python" are two of many.

Hope that helps both of you!!

How about those text messages you receive from certain businesses letting you know of certain information? For example, my local pharmacy texts me to tell me my prescription is ready. Or my cell phone provider texts me to let me know what my monthly bill is. And so on, and for these businesses, they say at the end of the text message, "Please do not respond to this text message. For questions or to talk to a representative, please call 1-800-dork-number." How inconvenient ... If their computers have software programming enabling a text message to be sent, why can they not receive one in return? I'm sure they don't want me texting them "Hey! Thanks! Guess what? It's sunny and 80 degrees today. What are you up to today besides filling prescriptions?" :) But still .... I now have to call them via relay (you all know how painstaking that can be) if I ever need to...

I could ask my husband if he sees any Python course with CC. Maybe he already saw it. I will ask him soon.

Thank you. I managed to get a few 10.00 courses on Udemy (one being Python)...they're captioned but for the most part they're really "auto captioned" . The one I'm watching right now is from a guy with an European accent (I think) so some of the words come out scrambled on the captions...doesn't happen too often thankfully.

Thank you. I managed to get a few 10.00 courses on Udemy (one being Python)...they're captioned but for the most part they're really "auto captioned" . The one I'm watching right now is from a guy with an European accent (I think) so some of the words come out scrambled on the captions...doesn't happen too often thankfully.
Did you check edX? As I recall it had transcript it CC.

You are welcome. You can email Udemy your concerns. I think it might help. Glitches will always pop out from nowhere It’s a big online world out there.

My husband spent about half a year emailing SpiderOak software back and forth that bizarre glitches won't be fixed through his account. SpiderOak claimed they fixed his glitches and updated his versions, blah, blah, blah. It is a long story. In the end, glitches are stubborn. SpiderOak finally gave up and told him to close his account in order to get rid of glitches. They offered him a discount deal plus new account. Problem solved. Glitch is one of my husband's biggest frustrations in the tech. My husband's job is to troubleshoot problems and save the day. I hear kinds of stories at his job where they deal with all kinds of issues that drive them crazy. Very frustrated.

My biggest frustration was with my braille displays. Trying to get online but it never seemed possible. I just gave myself a major migraine.

Did you check edX? As I recall it had transcript it CC.
No I haven't but am familiar with edX- will check them out. TY

You are welcome. You can email Udemy your concerns. I think it might help. Glitches will always pop out from nowhere It’s a big online world out there.

My husband spent about half a year emailing SpiderOak software back and forth that bizarre glitches won't be fixed through his account. SpiderOak claimed they fixed his glitches and updated his versions, blah, blah, blah. It is a long story. In the end, glitches are stubborn. SpiderOak finally gave up and told him to close his account in order to get rid of glitches. They offered him a discount deal plus new account. Problem solved. Glitch is one of my husband's biggest frustrations in the tech. My husband's job is to troubleshoot problems and save the day. I hear kinds of stories at his job where they deal with all kinds of issues that drive them crazy. Very frustrated.

I may do that. I know that at one time in at least the last 2 years I emailed either Udemy or Udacity(they're still not quite...there with CC) and shared my issues about closed captioning or at least providing transcripts. I sent a note to Coursera too but they deflected to "but we have either an online transcript or paperback book!" Yeah for an additional fee on top of what was already PAID for the course!

Ahh sounds a lot like my past jobs.. QA Testing and finding bugs and/or glitches. I've found some interesting ones both as part of the formal test plan/test case and accidentally finding one while verifying test results lol. Ahhh Y2K...

My biggest complaint about technology is the fact that we don’t have enough support for the Deaf and HOH. We need more apps for video relay, caption calling and so much more.

Driver for old scanner after getting a computer with a newer version of windows.

Driver for old scanner after getting a computer with a newer version of windows.

Sometimes you can find newer versions of driver for older scanners or printers- depending on how old they are. Check on the manufacturer's website to see if there are any updated drivers. I believe there are some sites also who curate older drivers etc. I don't recall which ones are on the up and up right now though- it's been a while for me.

Sometimes you can find newer versions of driver for older scanners or printers- depending on how old they are. Check on the manufacturer's website to see if there are any updated drivers. I believe there are some sites also who curate older drivers etc. I don't recall which ones are on the up and up right now though- it's been a while for me.

I have been looking off and on for what seems like ages. I admit the scanner is old being a Microtek ScanMaker V6USL. But it worked just fine currently as long as I kept it connect to a computer running Windows XP Pro 32bit. But Microtex does not support it on Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

I have already checked with them and Googled for other sources. VueScan does but I have a decision to make in buying from them. Since I have an attachment to do slides and quite a collection of slides from both a relative and that I took years ago I would need the Pro version at $89.95 unless I wait toooo long and miss a current sale. Once the sale is over it will go to $99.95. Remember that is no hardware just software. That does include a lifetime of updates. The scanner is probably 20 years of so old; it is used regularly but lightly.

To me the most frustrating piece of technology is automated services over the phone, and customer service.
I have a hard time with these.

20 years? Rare I see software last that long as there's always so many updates between making it compatible with newer OSes (as well as making them backwards compatible- I think Windows 10 is supposed to have that ability...) as well as introducing new features or fixing new unexpected bugs when a new OS is introduced.

Hopefully you'll find something. I seem to remember hearing about that particular scanner ages ago. I haven't used a standalone scanner since...yikes.. maybe 15 years now? (moved around too much). I 'borrow' dads when I want to scan; I'm still looking for an easier, portable and quicker way to scan multiple (read: A Ton) of pictures rather than sourcing it out.

20 years? Rare I see software last that long as there's always so many updates between making it compatible with newer OSes (as well as making them backwards compatible- I think Windows 10 is supposed to have that ability...) as well as introducing new features or fixing new unexpected bugs when a new OS is introduced.

Hopefully you'll find something. I seem to remember hearing about that particular scanner ages ago. I haven't used a standalone scanner since...yikes.. maybe 15 years now? (moved around too much). I 'borrow' dads when I want to scan; I'm still looking for an easier, portable and quicker way to scan multiple (read: A Ton) of pictures rather than sourcing it out.

I have gotten as far as downloading the trial of VueScan and got a scan directly in Presentations rather than WordPerfect. It was a small calendar from last month added at the top of a calendar for this month that would be added to a newsletter done in WordPerfect. It was not actually used because of the watermark all the way across things done in the trial. That worked and I am thinking going into WordPerfect should also. I would need to get the noticeably more expensive Pro version because I have a lot of slides from an aunt and ones I took years ago that I do scan some of at times.

I bought the stand alone scanner with the idea that one part of a combination scanner/printer going out would not have left me without both. I have updated printers, mainly for features, while staying with this scanner.

I think I read about being able to put a number of photos on the scanner glasws at once but have VueScan create separate files for each. It seems to me that might speed things up some.

giphy.gif

Back