What's Your Biggest Frustration in the Tech World?

royce3113

Reaction score
What's the most frustrating thing that you encounter in the tech world and why?

I'm a fellow deaf individual researching the intersection of deafness, tech and barriers to inclusivity. I would greatly value any insights you might provide!

The tech world gives me hives. That's my frustration. lol

that captioning of videos is uneven and still not standardized because it is theoretically harder to caption personal videos (not anymore- people are just lazy) or platforms don't support it (currently my FB and FB Purity somehow broke my ability to see closed captions (Open captions are fine)....)

hmm what else....Technology has been a big plus for me more than negative/frustration aside from the lack of/unevenness of captioned videos...

that captioning of videos is uneven and still not standardized because it is theoretically harder to caption personal videos (not anymore- people are just lazy) or platforms don't support it (currently my FB and FB Purity somehow broke my ability to see closed captions (Open captions are fine)....)

hmm what else....Technology has been a big plus for me more than negative/frustration aside from the lack of/unevenness of captioned videos...
I have to agree with this. CC is not 100%

On TV, don't you love the CC cut off when going into the commercial? Crappy....

I hate that.

On the flip side sometimes the captions stay ON the screen for a minute or two after the show goes TO commercial! Sometimes the opposite when the show comes back and the commercial captions linger...and linger until the voicing/captions start again.

Totally agree that it's been more of a positive than negative. I just want to see it contribute even more. What about beyond what exists now. What tech would you want to see made for the future?

When Payment Processors and similar businesses requires you to call them. I don't get why they can't just do everything over email/tickets/etc.

I believe this is major issue because unless you can get them to understand your situation you can lose access to your money and so on.

software developers and hardware developers should understand us more.
In what way?

This is an interesting topic. My friends and I keep talking about how we are loving social media for some ease of communication, and how it was nothing like this even just mere years ago. I still remember the days of TTYs when I was much younger.

Anyways, can the OP be more specific about “the tech world”?

What's the most frustrating thing that you encounter in the tech world and why?

I'm a fellow deaf individual researching the intersection of deafness, tech and barriers to inclusivity. I would greatly value any insights you might provide!

You should talk to engineers with signal processing background to work on improving speech recognition accurately. I think I already mentioned here a while ago I'm told by experts in theory, digital speech recognition will never be 100%.

Engineers may write codes and work and test on frequency and signal processing projects, but developing is a trick and a labor. Gotta make sure it's not glitch and unstable first. It is very hard. You have to love to write code. You have to be clever to come up with awesome code. My husband spends a lot with programming languages since he was a teen. He likes to code everywhere, even on the plane. He won't go anywhere without his laptop. He plays a lot with one of his favorite programming languages, Python. One of my frustrations in the tech world is I personally think they just want to develop algorithms so they can make a profit off of that and sell it to the biggest buyer. And one more thing, software engineers are notoriously stubborn.

He likes to code everywhere, even on the plane. He won't go anywhere without his laptop. He plays a lot with one of his favorite programming languages, Python. One of my frustrations in the tech world is I personally think they just want to develop algorithms so they can make a profit off of that and sell it to the biggest buyer. And one more thing, software engineers are notoriously stubborn.

Python eh? That's the next language I want to learn. Still working on React & Ruby for now and maybe come up with a site for myself (problem is I'm not the 'creative design' type).

As for the bolded....bahahahaha YES. Same is true for software QA Tester/Analysts. 90% of my cohort could always be found on their laptops (including me)... some were...eh. Hard to say as I always had my nose in my laptop or eyes on interpreters lol.

My husband is in love with Python because it saves his time. He thinks I should try Python instead of wasting my time on my Dreamweaver. He was like, "You will like this. It's faster. Look! Look! It is so easier than doing it on Dreamweaver!" He pesters me daily. He likes to make fun of Adobe programs all the time, because software engineers are doing a lousy job of it. He was like, "Why can't they fix that? Oh, Whoops, they missed this one." Ha. I hate to be the one to say that he is right. Oh, that occurs to me, DeafDucky. I think you will like Python because it's got black background you can read in code. Easier on your eyes.

software developers and hardware developers should understand us more.

You guys are not alone, it like this for everyone that may have difficulties getting what they need from them. I even had to disconnect from a data center over them not providing me an accessible pricing sheet for their components and so on. Along with other servicing related issues so it had to be done regardless.

Oh, that occurs to me, DeafDucky. I think you will like Python because it's got black background you can read in code. Easier on your eyes.

Much like COBOL lol (the old 'green screens'). Luckily most of the editors out now do have black or dark themes (I use Visual Studio Code) and the terminal (iTerm2) I use on the mac- I can set to dark theme (I made it 'green screen' style lol- never had time in Utah to prettify it with different colors).

Working on beefing up my React stuff (and javascript) then diving into Python since my aunt gifted me a Python course on Coursera. I'm not happy with them as their courses aren't CAPTIONED.. "but we have online transcripts or the soft-cover books" (we opted for the books... giant mistake.. the print in them is INSANELY SMALL!...but guess I'll use the magnifying glass (I have three laying around here now..).

Much like COBOL lol (the old 'green screens'). Luckily most of the editors out now do have black or dark themes (I use Visual Studio Code) and the terminal (iTerm2) I use on the mac- I can set to dark theme (I made it 'green screen' style lol- never had time in Utah to prettify it with different colors).

Working on beefing up my React stuff (and javascript) then diving into Python since my aunt gifted me a Python course on Coursera. I'm not happy with them as their courses aren't CAPTIONED.. "but we have online transcripts or the soft-cover books" (we opted for the books... giant mistake.. the print in them is INSANELY SMALL!...but guess I'll use the magnifying glass (I have three laying around here now..).

I could ask my husband if he sees any Python course with CC. Maybe he already saw it. I will ask him soon.

Back