What's with the judgements against people including myself having an CI or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilitaryGirl83

Reaction score
I believe it is a personal choice for a person to have an CI based on how they were raised and what reasons. As for myself, I grew up in hearing family and I had wore hearing aid my whole life. My parents gave me the best tools in my life which would be oral and sign language. Most of my life, I went to mainstreaming school which had the best deaf programs out there and I only went to a deaf school for three years. I got my 2nd new hearing aid in 2002 then someone stole my 2nd one for the left ear in 2007. :mad: I got my first CI in August of 2006 and turned on in October of 2006. Ever since..I loved it alot and I went to see my audiologist to check for my hearing on my left ear because I have not heard much since 2006 and felt that my hearing went down. I also thought about getting a hearing aid or possibly an CI for the longest time. I talked to my audiologist about the choices for my left ear. I ended up choosing the CI and they have approved it right away! :D Ever since I had the 2nd CI surgery and the turn on date I had yesterday.. I do not regret the decision I have made. No one should have to make me feel bad for the decisions that we make in our lives for the CI or hearing aids. I had some deaf people criticizing my decision and saying that I am not proud to be deaf and so on. It is not fair to judge others based on the CI decision. For me, I will still always be deaf and I will use ASL to talk with the deaf community so that will not be taken away for me. CIs are just a tool for me to hear better and to be able to talk better with my family and friends especially in the real world of jobs everywhere. I also enjoy listening to music and I just want to hear new sounds I have never heard before. I also just want to enjoy listening the sounds on TV and movies.

It is fine to form an opinion on the CI but I think it is unfair to judge people who has CI without knowing the reasons why and the background they had while growing up and so much more. I know who I am and no one will try to change me on that decision I made with the CIS.

:gpost:

I agree with you, being a cochlear implant user. If they do not like it then they should NOT comment and only people who agree or do not mind should comment. It annoys me but that's just the way it is!

I think it is because it make easier for hearing people to discriminate those who choose to be deaf and use ASL. Especially in workplace and school.

They see more and more people with CI and think they should too.

The CI is of course your choice and I'm glad you don't regret it.

When those Deaf people tell you you're ashamed of your Deafness, simply tell them that the CI was your choice and they cannot assume the motivations behind your actions because they're not inside your head. You can have the CI and still be proud to be Deaf.

:gpost:

I agree with you, being a cochlear implant user. If they do not like it then they should NOT comment and only people who agree or do not mind should comment. It annoys me but that's just the way it is!

I respectfully disagree with you that folks who "don't like it" should NOT comment. Folks who "don't like it" but are respectful of the choice made to get a CI have a right to their view. I am not against the CI so long as the recipient makes a fully informed decision to acquire it. This is especially true in the case of parents making the decision for their child. What do you do or say to one who respectfully disagrees with you by putting forth a well-thought out view?

The CI is of course your choice and I'm glad you don't regret it.

When those Deaf people tell you you're ashamed of your Deafness, simply tell them that the CI was your choice and they cannot assume the motivations behind your actions because they're not inside your head. You can have the CI and still be proud to be Deaf.

What she said......

They are not the only one, the attitude been like that for years:

MEN WHO SHOULD NOT MARRY
Men suffering with diseases which may be communicated by contagion or heredity should not marry. These diseases include: tuberculosis, syphilis, cancer, leprosy, epilepsy and some nervous disorders, some skin diseases and insanity. A worn-out rake has no business to marry, since marriage is not a hospital for the treatment of disease, or a reformatory institution for moral lepers. Those having a[44] marked tendency to disease must not marry those of similar tendency. The marriage of cousins is not to be advocated. The blood relation tends to bring together persons with similar morbid tendencies. Where both are healthy, however, there seems to be no special liability to mental incompetency, though such marriages are accused of producing defective or idiot children. Men suffering from congenital defects should not marry. Natural blindness, deafness, muteness, and congenital deformities of limb are more or less likely to be passed on to their children. There are cases of natural blindness, though, to which this rule does not apply. Criminals, alcoholics, and persons disproportionate in size should not marry. In the last-mentioned, lack of mutual physical adaptability may produce much unhappiness, especially on the part of the wife. Serious local disease, sterility, and great risk in childbirth may result. Disparity of years, disparity of race, a poverty which will not permit the proper raising of children, undesirable moral character are all good reasons for not marrying " The Project Gutenberg eBook of Sex, Avoided Subjects Discussed in Plain English, by Henry Stanton.

Deaf people been trying to fight this for so long...

They are not the only one, the attitude been like that for years:

Deaf people been trying to fight this for so long...

I know, I know; I guess it is our cross to carry....dunno what else to say but to plod on and educate where we can.

I get judged all the time by hearing people and strong culturally Deaf people. I learned to live with it. Life goes on.

I am neither for nor against CI's. I think it should be an individual's own choice. What I am against is the parents who have their infant or young child implanted. The child should have a chance to grow up learning ASL and progressing that wasy with HA's or HA's and ASL, and then later given the opportunity to choose whether to get implanted or not.

Hey, at least the CI is becoming more and more accepted. The ONLY concern that I have for the CI is that it seems to be almost Brand Name Big Pharmacized. Some people do qualify for it right off the bat....nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with implanting a totally deaf ear. But when it seems like it's all CI, CI CI ALL THE time.
It's exactly like back in the late 90's when digital aids were the answer. There was all this hype and pushing of it. And I bet if most plans covered HAs, you'd still see a lot of " you gotta get digitals!"

I believe it is a personal choice for a person to have an CI based on how they were raised and what reasons. As for myself, I grew up in hearing family and I had wore hearing aid my whole life. My parents gave me the best tools in my life which would be oral and sign language. Most of my life, I went to mainstreaming school which had the best deaf programs out there and I only went to a deaf school for three years. I got my 2nd new hearing aid in 2002 then someone stole my 2nd one for the left ear in 2007. :mad: I got my first CI in August of 2006 and turned on in October of 2006. Ever since..I loved it alot and I went to see my audiologist to check for my hearing on my left ear because I have not heard much since 2006 and felt that my hearing went down. I also thought about getting a hearing aid or possibly an CI for the longest time. I talked to my audiologist about the choices for my left ear. I ended up choosing the CI and they have approved it right away! :D Ever since I had the 2nd CI surgery and the turn on date I had yesterday.. I do not regret the decision I have made. No one should have to make me feel bad for the decisions that we make in our lives for the CI or hearing aids. I had some deaf people criticizing my decision and saying that I am not proud to be deaf and so on. It is not fair to judge others based on the CI decision. For me, I will still always be deaf and I will use ASL to talk with the deaf community so that will not be taken away for me. CIs are just a tool for me to hear better and to be able to talk better with my family and friends especially in the real world of jobs everywhere. I also enjoy listening to music and I just want to hear new sounds I have never heard before. I also just want to enjoy listening the sounds on TV and movies.

It is fine to form an opinion on the CI but I think it is unfair to judge people who has CI without knowing the reasons why and the background they had while growing up and so much more. I know who I am and no one will try to change me on that decision I made with the CIS.

Deaf people who judge those that have been implanted say that people with implants are changing themselves, they are changing their identity. They are, in essence, not truly deaf anymore. They say these people are basically hearing, with the capability of the machine of course, and in a lot of cases even start to act like hearing people.

Deaf people who judge those that have been implanted say that people with implants are changing themselves, they are changing their identity. They are, in essence, not truly deaf anymore. They say these people are basically hearing, with the capability of the machine of course, and in a lot of cases even start to act like hearing people.

Us who are implanted are still deaf and always will be. Even with my CI, I'm still deaf, I am unable to understand most people without lipreading

I am neither for nor against CI's. I think it should be an individual's own choice. What I am against is the parents who have their infant or young child implanted. The child should have a chance to grow up learning ASL and progressing that wasy with HA's or HA's and ASL, and then later given the opportunity to choose whether to get implanted or not.

I agree, it should be a personal choice , no one should be forced.

Us who are implanted are still deaf and always will be. Even with my CI, I'm still deaf, I am unable to understand most people without lipreading

I'm not saying its right or wrong i'm just stating what some other deaf I have spoken with have said. That is their reasoning. As for me, I respectfully disagree with you. Hearing, which is what the implant gives you, is not deafness.

Deafness, "The lack or severe impairment of the ability to hear." (The American Heritage® Science Dictionary)

I'm not saying its right or wrong i'm just stating what some other deaf I have spoken with have said. That is their reasoning. As for me, I respectfully disagree with you. Hearing, which is what the implant gives you, is not deafness.

I totally disagree. Do you have a cochlear implant? Deafness is part of my life, daily. How can you say I'm not deaf?? CI doesnt give you normal hearing. Also if I'm not deaf then explain why I needed surgery to get this device implanted? Also having a cochlear implant doesnt give you normal hearing so therefore every CI user is still deaf but also has a CI to enable them to hear things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back