Whats up with these hearing people?

deafgam

Reaction score
ITS really starting to annoy me. Maybe you have seen some of them on here. Yeah, you know the kind. Those strange hearing ( NOT ALL HEARING PEOPLE) get on here saying they can hear, but cant talk. Oh, please, are they for real? They want join Deaf community? What???? Your own hearing community couldnt put up with you so you want to try a whole new culture? What about some of those who say....oh you have Deaf baby or grand child??? Oh you are so lucky. Here is another....when i get married i want marry Deaf man so i will always have someone sign with. Then i want have Deaf babies. .....ok....ok.....then the hearing community wonders why the Deaf builds a wall around them. For those hearies that really try and learn ASL THANK YOU Thank you for those who make a real effort. But for those who know you guilty shame on you.

Last edited:
um...wow...ok. Don't really think you need to go on THAT much of a rant. Especially the "mute" comment. Don't think it was called for. And I don't know about others, but I'm totally fine with hearies wanting to learn ASL..it's the students that come here asking us to be their hw project that's due tomorrow or next week and don't do the work themselves that I don't like.

I think your post was out of line.

I apologize for being so venting. Really i do. Just got fed up with it all.

Im fine with hearies wanting to learn ASL....but i not fine when they not want to use what they learn to communicate with us Deaf. But instead..it becomes their own little group meetings and their own little sign groups....i would rather them roll up their sleeves and go out meet greet us.....at least break out of their lil groups they formed.

I understand being frustrated but that's what they admins are there for. Like if you think a certain person is "faking" or being untrustworthy, report it rather than blowing up that person so everyone knows who it is. Report it and leave it to the mods to deal with.

It's possible that a hearing person met a deaf person who is able to get full power from turbocharged engine so they want the deaf person to teach the hearing person how to do it. Trust me, if they want to learn ASL, they'll figure it out.

Im fine with hearies wanting to learn ASL....but i not fine when they not want to use what they learn to communicate with us Deaf. But instead..it becomes their own little group meetings and their own little sign groups....i would rather them roll up their sleeves and go out meet greet us.....at least break out of their lil groups they formed.

I completely understand this comment 100%, however, just because we "create" groups doesn't mean we have any less interest in going out to meet deaf people. I created a community on Google+ for students who are still learning the language and can ask questions of other students where they feel more comfortable. I think it's better that a student be more comfortable with their signing ability before forcing a conversation with a deaf person.

I only say this from experience. I was put into a lot of Deaf events as a level 1 ASL student in HS, it was really really difficult and frustrating to be put on the spot when I wasn't completely comfortable with my signing ability and being frustrated not being able to continue a conversation. There is a time and place to be put into the situation and some "hearies" aren't ready.

SILENTSIGNS--Definitely not referring to high school kids. More directing my comment toward the fluent signers that are able to turn off their own voices, meet in groups and sign and communicate with each other very clearly. For a beginner, sure, it can be scary. My daughter introduced me to a young lady level 3 in college learning. I signed slow with her and very clear not to make her feel intimidated. It went well. So, yeah, the beginners need a lot of patients but not the group i was referring.

How do you feel about people like these?

This is a special meeting place for people who have a deep felt desire to wear hearing aids for pleasure even though not deaf, and for those who find that hearing aids and deafness have erotic and fetish qualities.

It is also a place to discuss the more radical topic of being a deaf wannabe, and a meeting place for those who have decided at some time in their life to 'cross the bridge' and choose to become deaf by impairing their hearing.

This does not necessarily mean entering a world of total silence, since hearing loss can take many forms and it is seldom that even profoundly deaf people have no residual hearing.

If you are considering 'crossing the bridge' then please feel welcome to find out more.

Deaf-Wannabee : For deaf wannabes and pretenders, people with a deaf fetish or hearing aid fetish, or who are deaf by choice or wish to be deaf

Nitrohonda- why dont you start your own post with your own question? Why ask me? I dont make up whole Deaf community. That kind of question needs be ask to ALL the DEAF not just me.

Nitrohonda- why dont you start your own post with your own question? Why ask me? I dont make up whole Deaf community. That kind of question needs be ask to ALL the DEAF not just me.

Here is a thread on just that subject. The discussion was pretty extensive.

http://www.alldeaf.com/topic-debate...g-creepy-deaf-wannabes-pretenders-others.html

ITS really starting to annoy me. Maybe you have seen some of them on here. Yeah, you know the kind. Those strange hearing ( NOT ALL HEARING PEOPLE) get on here saying they can hear, but cant talk. Oh, please, are they for real? They want join Deaf community? What???? Your own hearing community couldnt put up with you so you want to try a whole new culture? What about some of those who say....oh you have Deaf baby or grand child??? Oh you are so lucky. Here is another....when i get married i want marry Deaf man so i will always have someone sign with. Then i want have Deaf babies. .....ok....ok.....then the hearing community wonders why the Deaf builds a wall around them. For those hearies that really try and learn ASL THANK YOU Thank you for those who make a real effort. But for those who know you guilty shame on you.

You don't want anyone else in your culture, we get it. As you say we could all stick with our own culture, but then there might be some issues. Some might say it might be a bit hypocritical to say go out and sample the food from other cultures(like Mexican food), while probably wearing clothes made in china and driving in a car that, if it doesn't foreign name, surely has foreign parts. Doing all this while living in a country made up of immigrants that has no national language and was basically taken from Native Americans, might not sit well(with some).

But, that's just me...

VacationGuy234....have you not read who i was referring and implying my comment to? It wasnt to ASL students, it wasnt to just any hearies, read my post again. I was referring to the one who said he could not speak. He was and is a fraud and people like that really piss me off. Why would i resent hearies....with a normal personality and their head screwed on right ...from becoming part of our Deaf culture. You are WRONG and MISTAKEN. I worked my butt of teaching in the hearing community and in the college settings to unit both Deaf and hearing worlds. If only we could continue to bring them together without some fake person stepping in between and some hearing people wanting to marry into a Deaf family just to have someone to practice with. Yeah, it upsets me.

There is a very very small group of hearies that want to marry a deaf person just to practice... but we shouldn't exploit them. They are the idiots, and why should we waste our time and breath on the "fakes"?

Hey...look at it this way...they more hearing people learn ASL and understand Deaf culture, the more the barriers come down. Just looking at the pros of people faking deafness. :lol:

Back