what unwritten rule(s) have you followed?

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
My girlfriend's Mom has a very nice 2004 Mustang 40th Anniversary Edition convertible. It's a manual. My girlfriend doesn't know how to drive manual. I do. My girlfriend has told me that I would ask her Mom if I would drive it. I won't.

Those Mustangs don't come cheap. She earned the right to own the Mustang. I did not. It would be a poor taste for me to ask to drive it. If she ever handle me keys, I'll love to take it for a spin. I don't think anyone has driven the Mustang except the Mom. I don't want to cross the line and ask if I can drive it. It's about respect.

What one unwritten rule have you abided by?

My daughter tells us, just come over and play with the kids whenever you want.

I say no, I can't come without an invitation.

That unwritten rule is "Don't drop in on people."

Yep...I always call ahead first or wait for an invite....I've had unexpected company before and it didn't go too well. but at times of an emergency, I can deal with that...As for my oldest boy who lives on his own..he does drop by unexpectedly, no problem.

As for driving somebody else's car...I would think twice about it.

My unwritten rule is to not follow any unwritten rules.

(ok...you can now wrack your brain over that one)

Yep...I always call ahead first or wait for an invite....I've had unexpected company before and it didn't go too well. but at times of an emergency, I can deal with that...As for my oldest boy who lives on his own..he does drop by unexpectedly, no problem.

As for driving somebody else's car...I would think twice about it.

Especially if it's a nice car. My other half's dad has a Mazda RX-8. He says as long as he doesn't need it, I can borrow it. I borrowed it for a proper trip once... I was petrified the whole time of scratching it. I didn't, but she has two sisters (each with boyfriends) and they took it to the supermarket to get stuff for a family get-together and banged one of the alloy wheels against a curb and dented it!

My unwritten rule is... even if someone says "help yourself to (food/drink name here) out of the fridge", I always ask before taking more, and always offer them one too (after all it's their stuff)

I wouldn't ask to drive somebody else's car, either, and I don't drop in on people.

I also don't ask to borrow anything more significant than a book or a movie.

Just thought of another one. 2 years ago, my girlfriend and her Mom offered me a 1983 Schwinn World Tourist bike. If you know anything about bikes, you'll know that this bike is a cool vintage style, but not worth that much.

Anyway, her Dad had bought it brand new back then. He has since passed away.

This is like a family heirloom!!! I did not just want to take it.

You can say the sentimental value is pretty high and I did not just want to take that away from them.

My unwritten rule is Don't say you will do something unless you mean it! Like politicians, I'm amazed at what people will say.and don't go through with it. Same goes for opinions.

Always put something noticeable on the sliding glass door (especially when it's really clean). : )

Back