What to do in order to get new cochlear implant if I already had old one?

KupoPeanut07

Reaction score
I wanted to know what I needed to do to get a new cochlear implant and I believe I may need a surgery to change my cochlear implant, because I gotten mine in 1996 when I was 3 years old. I believe surgery is overdue and mappings is probably different now and I don't think it will work with current generation of cochlear implant. I current have medicare and I do not know if they cover the cost of surgery and new cochlear implant, but I heard probably 80% coverage. I wouldn't mind doing monthly payment as well. I dont have much information but I do want one badly. I had a 1996 cochlear implant and box thingy but both were destroyed years ago and no longer usable now. But magnet is still inside my right side of head. So, here is some of my questions. Which company is affordable and what services I will need to go through to get new cochlear implant? I am profound deaf and current on ssdi and part time job.

Here are links for the 3 brands in the USA to find clinics near you. Many clinics handle all three brands. You probably should contact a clinic to talk with one of their CI audiologists first. You can also ask them to give you contact information for representatives from each brand so you can discuss with them their specific brand. Audiologists and surgeons should not tell you which brand you should get. You need to make that decision after doing research on the 3 brands.

You do not have to get the same brand you currently have.

For Advanced Bionics: https://advancedbionics.com/us/en/home/cochlear-implants-for-you.html#US-Form-1

For Cochlear: https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/connect/find-a-clinic

For MedEl: https://www.medel.com/en-us/clinic-finder

has anyone actually got another cochlear implant?

I wanted to know what I needed to do to get a new cochlear implant and I believe I may need a surgery to change my cochlear implant, because I gotten mine in 1996 when I was 3 years old. I believe surgery is overdue and mappings is probably different now and I don't think it will work with current generation of cochlear implant. I current have medicare and I do not know if they cover the cost of surgery and new cochlear implant, but I heard probably 80% coverage. I wouldn't mind doing monthly payment as well. I dont have much information but I do want one badly. I had a 1996 cochlear implant and box thingy but both were destroyed years ago and no longer usable now. But magnet is still inside my right side of head. So, here is some of my questions. Which company is affordable and what services I will need to go through to get new cochlear implant? I am profound deaf and current on ssdi and part time job.
call Cochlear reimbursement @ 1(800)6334667. First you have 24 array inside if you got it in 1994. Second It should still work. Cochlear does have a program where they will give you loaners or a used one on a donation site until you can get one plus Every 5 years you are due to get an upgrade so you can get a whole new box full of gear. just tell them it was lost broken or whatever long ago and now that you are able to take care of getting it fixed you want to hear again.If you can't hear on the phone have someone call for you or use email( Google has it)

call Cochlear reimbursement @ 1(800)6334667. First you have 24 array inside if you got it in 1994. Second It should still work. Cochlear does have a program where they will give you loaners or a used one on a donation site until you can get one plus Every 5 years you are due to get an upgrade so you can get a whole new box full of gear. just tell them it was lost broken or whatever long ago and now that you are able to take care of getting it fixed you want to hear again.If you can't hear on the phone have someone call for you or use email( Google has it)
The OP did not tell us which brand implant s/he has. I provided him/her with links to the 3 brands. Also, s/he may want to switch brands if s/he gets a new implant.

Most of the newer implants work with the old models. I had my first surgery in 1999 and have 24 channel I'm not sure if you have 22 or 24 coul but I know 24 works with everything out there. You may have to call Cochlear 1(800)633-4667 . Tell them who you are when you got your implant, update your info with them and ask them this same question. IM PRETTY SURE THEY WILL SAY NO SURGERY EVERYTHING IS COMPATIBLE.

Except for one thing: either it's covered by your medical insurance or pay out of pocket. Cochlear is very vague on upgrades payments, even though they try to cover all bases for it....I have a Freedom Processor that is outdated and I cannot even afford an upgrade because my medial insurance (medicaid) won't cover for it and paying out of pocket costs more than a surgery.

has anyone actually got another cochlear implant?

Yes, I've heard of people replacing their implants for various reasons. I had one of mine replaced a year ago due to an issue that was causing quality of sound/understanding issues. Some people even switch brands. This is not something to take lightly as it is very expensive and insurance will not pay for it if there isn't a need for it.

Most of the newer implants work with the old models. I had my first surgery in 1999 and have 24 channel I'm not sure if you have 22 or 24 coul but I know 24 works with everything out there. You may have to call Cochlear 1(800)633-4667 . Tell them who you are when you got your implant, update your info with them and ask them this same question. IM PRETTY SURE THEY WILL SAY NO SURGERY EVERYTHING IS COMPATIBLE.
We don't know if s/he has a Cochlear brand implant. Advanced Bionics and MedEl were also implanting patients in 1996.

Back