What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Last night I was out playing bar poker. An older guy at the table noticed I was signing to my boyfriend (who was not playing.) This older guy then told everyone at the table there was a "deaf and dumb girl who doesn't speak". My boyfriend overheard that and told me what the older guy said so I looked right at this guy and told him I can speak just fine. His eyes just about bugged out and then he covered his mouth with his hand and tried to make me guess what he was saying. What an ass !!

you should have just folded, stood up and said - I refuse to play with assholes like you. And then left.

Oh, I told my boyfriend that the older guy was being an ass and I said it out loud, loud enough that I know that jerk heard it. But even if he didn't hear me, I won't give him the satisfaction of leaving. But I get what you're saying.

Where i live in deaf community, so it is fortunate for me to live in. Anyway, one time, my friends and i went to new bar that has settled. We wanted to try and check it out. So, we did and ordered drinks and talked. Several drinkers were next to me and said, "that group is Deaf, they're so stupid and cant hear. how did they drive the car if they cant hear the sirens? I wish president put them in mental hospital where they are belong" and they laughed. Of course, i heard because i'm strong hard of hearing and i stood up and came to him, spoke to him, "Hey! I heard what you did said to me, i'm working for Fremont Police Department and i can report hate crime. We can see siren lights which is BRIGHT where our eyes can see and we CAN drive." They was like, gulped and heads down. One drinker asked me, "I dont believe you are working for police" I told him, "Help yourself."

My luckiest moment was happened, one of my coworkers came down to get some drinks. Two coworkers saw me and came to me, said, "Hey, do you get anything fun today at work?" I told him, "Naw, just same and can you tell drinkers who next to me who doesnt believe me that i work for police". I explained to them about them who dissed us about deaf. He was so pissed off and came to him and blew him off. They (drinkers) gulped and came to me, apoligized us and gave us free round of drinks.

There are some things that Hearing forgot how the great Deaf has done for America and world.

It would seem that we have very common backgrounds. :cool:
aw, me too - except for my father, one who cried and gave me that movie. aand I still have that book! one of my few very first signing books. looking back at them kinda of eeries me, I don't know why. anyway, I know you both don't know me yet but ((hugs)). :)

as for peeves .. I'll bother later!

hellohello alleycat/norcal, good to see you both here. alley, am not used to see your other side here lol.

aw, me too - except for my father, one who cried and gave me that movie. aand I still have that book! one of my few very first signing books. looking back at them kinda of eeries me, I don't know why. anyway, I know you both don't know me yet but ((hugs)). :)

as for peeves .. I'll bother later!

hellohello alleycat/norcal, good to see you both here. alley, am not used to see your other side here lol.

Just goes to show that we are more alike than we are different! Hugs back to you!

Everytime, I am walking in the City, some stranger come up to me and talk, and I had to tell them that I am deaf and they go "Oh, I'm sorry" and they walk off, everytime this happens, I say "I'm sorry" < --- This is pissing me off. They should just find another way to ask a question, if they are lost, I would have been happy to point them in the right direction if the words out of their mouth have converted into text or somewhat more better understandable.

Yeah, I get this "I'm sorry," too when I simply give people the Deaf reason for not interacting with them in the manner they are so accustomed to. You'd think they thought I was saying someone in my family died.

It's annoying, but the ones who make patronizing statements don't know what they are missing out on when they don't truly 'hear.'

What annoys me the most of all is when people insist on speaking to me using only voice, instead of getting the hint that writing it down or using an interpreter would have been more appropriate. It's just downright rude and belies a lack of character on their parts to me. Not people I'd like to hang out with, anyway.

I am a hearing person, and I'm not offended.
That's probably why I didn't say "if you jillio could hear, jillio would be offended.":aw:

I was thinking how annoyed I would probably be if people referred to me as Deafie, and deaf people as Deafies.

wut pisses me off is when they cover there mouths or speak slowly like if your retarded or something like this one person in my class at college 2 semesters ago would make fun and be like
h - i c --a--n y--o--u u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d m-e.

and when i looked back at him i was just curse him out in sign. it really bothers me and also when people like in my family whisper to whoever and put there hand on the mouth omg its so rude.

I was thinking how annoyed I would probably be if people referred to me as Deafie, and deaf people as Deafies.

I'm a deafie, my sister is a deafie, we have many deafie friends (both totally deaf and significantly hard-of-hearing), and we all refer to ourselves as deafies. By extension, we refer to those who hear as hearies. Both terms are neutral, descriptive.

However, outside the culture I can see how those first hearing the terms might take offense. Someone somewhere will always take offense at something, so I'm careful never used the terms except with those in the deaf culture.

My hearie girlfriend only learned the terms here, and initially thought them pejorative. My advice was not to visit here, as they are short terms for deaf person and hearing person and are are about the least of the offensive language a visitor will encounter.

I hope you stay, become immersed in the culture, and perhaps later not find the terms so offensive.

I'm a deafie, my sister is a deafie, we have many deafie friends (both totally deaf and significantly hard-of-hearing), and we all refer to ourselves as deafies. By extension, we refer to those who hear as hearies. Both terms are neutral, descriptive.

However, outside the culture I can see how those first hearing the terms might take offense. Someone somewhere will always take offense at something, so I'm careful never used the terms except with those in the deaf culture.

My hearie girlfriend only learned the terms here, and initially thought them pejorative. My advice was not to visit here, as they are short terms for deaf person and hearing person and are are about the least of the offensive language a visitor will encounter.

I hope you stay, become immersed in the culture, and perhaps later not find the terms so offensive.
I'm having a bit of culture shock being here. I'm deaf, been deaf for about 15 years, this is probably as close as I've ever been to deaf culture, but I still wouldn't want to be called a deafie.

I wouldn't use the term at all, I wouldn't even call anyone that even if they're cool with it.

It seems unprofessional. kind of childish, but that's just me. I don't take my deficiency as something "cute." Like the smurfs.

Ok Back on topic. I don't like when someone approaches me and asks for something, like directions, etc and if I don't understand them I tell them I can't hear and they say"Oh, I'm sorry" and walk away.

That's probably why I didn't say "if you jillio could hear, jillio would be offended.":aw:

Inside Deaf/deaf culture, we refer to Deafies and Hearies all the time. It is not meant to be offensive in the least, but is merely the use of slang. Why woudl you be offended over something so innoculous?

...It seems unprofessional. kind of childish, but that's just me. I don't take my deficiency as something "cute." Like the smurfs.
It beats "hearing impaired" and "normal".

As I said, it's just a hope. Suit yourself. But "cookies" aren't necessarily cute, either; it's just a general term for cooked objects. I have buddies, none of whom are cute, etc.

Good luck in changing the culture. Such things have happened.

Back