What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

Other opinion, here, I hate it when those 'anti-deaf' people tried to stomp deafies' necks. If you know what I meant. =/

If some of you who are pretending to misunderstand Notsobright's ASL English (English as a second language) are really children of deaf adult(s), then you should be ashamed of yourselves. Notsobright has even tried to tell us he/she is getting help with writing in English, so you might cut him/her a little slack.

Even if Notsobright meant some CODAs treat their parents like dummies, and I'm not totally sure that's the case, it was never said that all did.

In defense of the case where some CODAs are nasty to their parents, my sister (deaf since birth and communicates by ASL) has four sons. Two of my nephews treat their mother and deaf uncle with utmost respect. Two are grown spoiled brats ashamed of us and continually talking down to us.

They also pretend to misunderstand an ASL speaker's writing.

I am truly sorry for my husband's words. He shouldn't have said those things and he knows it was wrong. He had no place posting here and I told him that.

It should not reflect on my business or the hardworking people on my team. Let's just get along please.

I have tried so hard to just use this forum as a means of socializing and getting advice. I found a great deal of support here with regards to my son and that situation. The people here were very nice to me and prayed for me and my family, especially my baby boy. I want to say thanks again to those people.

I asked my husband not to post here ever again and he agreed. Sorry about that.

:)Notsobright,I think you are bright, alright. This happens to a lot of deaf people. I used to be part of deafcareer.com until I learned Mike's remarks and it really turned me off. I'm very happy to be part of MelaBuddies and I promise you will be, too.

I am truly sorry you were upset by my husband's remarks. I sincerely wish you the best with your team.

I am truly sorry you were upset by my husband's remarks. I sincerely wish you the best with your team.

Thank you, Tracie. I wish things were different. I wish you the best with your team. I also wish your baby boy well. :wave:

I haven't experienced this YET but I think it is coming...hearing people complaining about the feedback when I am adjusting my hearing aids! Yes, when my hand is up by my ear, there is feedback. But if I am going to change the program or volume, I need to touch it, so yes there is feedback! I'm sure my wife will start complaining about this if I am adjusting my HA's near her.

I haven't experienced this YET but I think it is coming...hearing people complaining about the feedback when I am adjusting my hearing aids! Yes, when my hand is up by my ear, there is feedback. But if I am going to change the program or volume, I need to touch it, so yes there is feedback! I'm sure my wife will start complaining about this if I am adjusting my HA's near her.

Hahaha! I get the same too. Oh well...if they get mad AT me for something I cant control, I am not gonna cry over it cuz I know it is not my fault.

I remember people complaining about my feedback in my HA if I had to adjust it or if it wasnt in my ear just quite right.

Other things that tick me off about hearies - is the fact that some of them despite their educational background really do expect less out of a d/hh person than a hearing person.

I finally had to tell one teacher - I am deaf not brain dead!

Mod's Note:

I've reviewed the thread and removed some posts. From now and on, Please refrain yourselves from name calling, provoking and enticing into a flame war.

Also, Please keep it on the surface regarding to the topic rather than being offensive. I do not care who started it.

If this thread heads into a flame war or enticing, it will be closed. So, with due respect, We all are adults here and we can behave better than that.

Thank You.

Tadoma is when a deaf-blind person puts their hand on a speaking person's lips, cheek, neck, and throat. It is kind of like "tactile lipreading" - feeling the shape of the mouth and movements of the inner speech organs.

It looks like this:
FOTOBOX6_44.jpg

A real life picture:
david_tadoma_m.jpg

It is not very common, I was just joking about that's what people are doing when they get close to you.

Somehow I missed this post. Thanks for explanation. I had an idea it was something like that but had never heard the name for it.

Yes I realise you were joking...lol

Oh...I have had stuff ranging from papers to rocks thrown at me to get my attention. It hasnt happened lately cuz the last few times, I threw whatever was thrown at me right back at the person. :giggle:

LOL good one,
I got stuff thrown at me to get my attention it doesn't offend me at all I just think its hilarious.
I got mostly pens, pencil, (yes I know "omg that's dangerious what if it poked your eyes!"), tiny pebble rock so it don't hurt, crumbled up papers, plastic object, many things.
but if you throw stuff at me cuz I'm deaf and just for laugh with other friends now that would offend me big time (happened to me before in high school so I dropped out)

Thing that annoy me the most about hearings hmmm I could go on forever but top 3
Number 1 is "never mind!" or "oh.... I'm so sorry that ur deaf *makes pity face*" and walk away
Number 2 is people at dmv worker or teacher bitch and moan about how deaf people shouldn't drive! I got that so many time!
Number 3 is when talking to me they look away from me and look at person who interpret for me and said "tell her" or "she" I want them to talk face forward to me and talk like they're talking to me in normal way and include "you" when talking to me not "she" and please act like I'm there not invisible and totally ignoring me when I reply back and stare at interpreter I'll feel like I'm talking to blank wall.

When I created this thread I thought that it would last for a short time. Boy was I wrong. Look at all these posts. My, my, my.

When I created this thread I thought that it would last for a short time. Boy was I wrong. Look at all these posts. My, my, my.

That's our way of 'venting one's spleen'! ... it's great to have a Deaf forum to do that plus getting our regular 'deaf fix' by being in touch with AD'ers. :giggle:

LOL! It is a hot topic in the Deaf community. :)

Most of what ticks me off about hearies has been posted here.

But there's a couple that hasn't been posted yet, and one is when a person talks to me BEHIND me. Now, that's understandable because most of the hearies haven't had any experience with deaf people and assume that everyone can hear, but almost 100% of the time, I have my hearing service dog with me. She has a vest that clearly says "HEARING SERVICE DOG". It's really annoying.

Also, I get this a lot: When I enter a building with my service dog, someone comes up to me, points at the dog, and talk to me. I am completely deaf and I try to indicate that I cannot hear what he or she is saying. Once I entered Ralph's (I was with my mother) and a policeman came up to us and told us that dogs weren't allowed inside. My mom told him Lola (the dog) was a service dog. He proceed to tell us what we should do (keep the dog 2 feet away from the food, etc etc). My mom was seething with anger after that. It's very sad when average people know more about the laws than the police.

Good post. Hearies (some who even know we're deaf) talking behind us is a common complaint, and you're right . . . they just cannot keep our silent world in mind very long.

Many here have service dogs, and the ignorance about them is legend. The misinformed cop seems more like a mall rent-a-badge than a real policeman, but real cops can be quite ignorant of the law (for which there's no excuse).

Here is another one.....

I hate it when a hearing person comes up to my ear and then talk out loud into my ear like I should be able to understand what he is saying to me. I may be deaf but it does hurt when someone screams into my ear.

Back