What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

I sincerely doubt that I could. I do believe that I will reach our area Deaf Services rep. He should be able to advocate.
He is a really professional guy and is Deaf himself. Hopefully he can do something.

This is just wrong on sooo many levels.

agree, and hope there will be a desired outcome. you have every right to be pissed off, i wouldnt even say calm down to you, in fact, id be boiling too! we have a similar problem here, BUT what is worst is that 'no once can do anything about it' grrrr!!, and i just wish we Deafs have an organisation to take back powers from 'hearing interpreters/communicators' groups who protect themselves even though THEY are aware of many unethical practices occurs, but they shrug it off as ' oh no body else can provide the service, or money is short, d/Deaf are happy to use us, the excuses are endless its just incredible!!

This is quite a serious problem...its just unbelievable that no one really notices it.....so I DO know where you are coming from!!....

oh forgot to say, HNY...and here's hoping this situation will improve (the one you wrote about here):wave:

LDNanna you very right. why they hire her interpreter???? she only level 1 ASL and she fail level 2 mean she not qualify interpreter. it is sound she unprofessional and not respect to student. that very inappropriate!!!!!!!!!! they need be TERMINATE her employ QUICK. her boyfriend make me so fuck disgust. why he tell you about student race? he is RACIST IDIOT. student need other new interpreter now!!!

I'm not deaf, but I do have problems hearing (going to the dr in a few weeks).

Has anyone had a problem with hearing people just moving their lips and not making any sounds on purpose? I guess it would be kind of like mocking someone?

As soon as I think he "gets it" I realize he still has a lot to learn :(

YES! My friend's husband does this to me all the time, and thinks it's hilarious. I usually just ignore him.

My family apparently thinks it's really funny to either mock me behind my back or with mouths covered so I don't know what they're laughing at, or saying things w/ no sound. Of course, my brother isn't actually making words, so I'm trying to read his lips when there's nothing to see. It makes me extra angry because I feel like that energy was so wasted, and I'm tired as it is.

I hope he learns his lesson!

So, please tell me that I am not wrong. Really! I hear all this about my young friend from a butcher in the supermarket???? Geeeez.

you are not wrong. If I were in this situation, I would first have a discussion with the person that leads the interpreter training program. I say this because in my area I know this person well. You might also think about getting I touch with the local school to report the incident. If she is working with an interpreting agency, they might be another contact. The parents of the boy might be another possible contact.

I have no idea what the right answer. Just some ideas.

I don't know that any laws are broken (I'm no legal scholar). But clearly the code of ethics have been violated.

I sincerely doubt that I could. I do believe that I will reach our area Deaf Services rep. He should be able to advocate.
He is a really professional guy and is Deaf himself. Hopefully he can do something.

This is just wrong on sooo many levels.

not fair interpreter not professional qualify and she work for student??? you need go encourage to student tell him "go discuss with special education direction". this inappropriate!!!!!!! not fair they hire unqualify interpreter for student. education very important so student need efficient best interpreter.

Update on post 1396. I did contact our area rep. He is very upset and said that she has indeed done wrong by discussing her client and will investigate!! At least something will be done. I will have to find her whole name. It should not be hard. I will have to go back to the butcher shop. Egh, but it will be worth it. I will also see my young friend this weekend and ask him more about his "terp".
Thanks for the support ya'll.

I think the school's equally criminal as they hired her. So ya gotta deal with them as they are the ones setting the standard.......

OMG! I've only read the first page of this thread, and what I've seen makes me embarrassed to be a "hearie!"

Seriously. People are people. Why don't people (I'm talking about hearing people in this case) get that?

Sheesh!

Well Jen, Don't worry too much about it. This is a place for us to vent. Just keep in mind, we are talking about the dumbest of the dumb. You are obviously not one of them ;) :D

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Even bright people lapse and do stupid things. It's part of the human condition. BTDT.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Even bright people lapse and do stupid things. It's part of the human condition. BTDT.

You make a good point! I should not paint people with a broad brush. :ty: But still, I gotta wonder about the ones that do it over and over again. :hmm:

Well Jen, Don't worry too much about it. This is a place for us to vent. Just keep in mind, we are talking about the dumbest of the dumb. You are obviously not one of them ;) :D

Hahaha! You just haven't known me long enough, I think. :giggle: ;)

Jen

Hahaha! You just haven't known me long enough, I think. :giggle: ;)

Jen

Not to worry, this is the best place to make your major mistakes. This way you can be more informed before going out to the real world. I have no doubt that if you do make a mistake you will learn from it. You have already seen some things happen. When you are ready, you can share some of those experiences with us here. Take your time! :)

Today, almost everything. That is why I love my dog. She just gets ME!!

Jazzy, thank goodness the audists in state department of vehicles haven't yet targetted the deaf as the federal government has. We deafies can still get licenses to drive non-commercial vehicles in all states. However, we who are totally deaf can no longer get a commercial driver's license.

I held a CDL for forty years, but when I went to renew in 2002, I was told I had to pass a hearing test. Of course I failed and was denied a CDL.

So that I could still work, the state of Montana issued me a special permit to drive (and go through DOT scales) only in a 100-mile radius of my place of employment. What kind of stupid logic is that? When deafies are 105 miles from home, they are no longer safe truck drivers?

When I moved to Oregon, I was issued another special licence to drive commercial trucks, this time good for the whole state. So now another driver has to take over the bee truck at another state's border. It's totally insane and unconstitutional.
My god. That's fantastically unconstitutional. You should sue their pants off.

I'm not deaf, but I do have problems hearing (going to the dr in a few weeks).

Has anyone had a problem with hearing people just moving their lips and not making any sounds on purpose? I guess it would be kind of like mocking someone?

On Thanksgiving, my little sister brought her boyfriend for dinner and he isn't the loudest speaker. I can barely hear (not really understand) him if the room is quiet and he is close to me. I have to have my sister "translate" (aka repeat what he says loud enough so I can hear him).

Anyway, so sisters boyfriend is sitting next to me at dinner and he asks me something, my husband hears it but I didnt. My husband asks me if I heard him and I said no. He said, "you seriously couldn't hear that?" and turns to him and I see him say something like "I'm going to mess with her" to my sisters boyfriend. So he starts "talking" to me but purposefully makes no sound and isn't really saying anything, like he was mocking me.

I got a bit upset and tell that isn't nice and is quite rude. He said he didn't think it would hurt my feelings that he was trying to be funny, but he apologizes and we all continued eating.

As soon as I think he "gets it" I realize he still has a lot to learn :(

Sadly, yes. It's a form of mocking that I know all too damn well. I still get it from newbies who when finding out I can read lips they want to "test" my ability. They can kindly f*** off.

Ignore the little ingrate for your own good.

I used to be on the varsity volleyball team and I was the only deaf girl in my team. One of my team mates asked me the most irritating and annoying question: How do you know how to laugh if you can not hear yourself?

Back