What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

(People who then talk rrreeeealllllyyy slooowwwlllllyyy and enunccciiiiiattte like they're trying to give oral sex to thin air...) :laugh2: :ty: :giggle:

That is soooo accurate! hahahaha then it seems they had garlic for lunch, and want to lean in verrry close....eeewww.

(People who then talk rrreeeealllllyyy slooowwwlllllyyy and enunccciiiiiattte like they're trying to give oral sex to thin air...) :laugh2: :ty: :giggle:

That is soooo accurate! hahahaha then it seems they had garlic for lunch, and want to lean in verrry close....eeewww.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

What ticks me off are people who speak loudly on their cell phone so people across the world can hear them. I also hate it when people use the speakerphone option for non-important "social" calls. Someone...please take me back to the mid 80s when cell phones were expensive and primarily used in cars. :)

I also hate it when hearies assume (pre-CI) that just because I'm deafblind, I can't talk or am 100% deaf and blind. (Both are true now that I have CIs, but as long as I have my CIs on, I consider that to be artificial hearing.)

Some hearing people think they have the best intentions for the Deaf community and invent words such as "Deaf-Plus":eek3:

'Deaf-Plus'? Deaf plus what?

In the hearing perspective, I would be considered Deaf-Plus because I am DeafBlind.

Another perspective of Deaf-Plus, a Deaf person with CP.

We cannot have this term "Deaf-Plus" as we do not see the hearing community being labelled as "hearing-plus".

Hearing with CP - Hearing-Plus, this is why I advocate the eradication of Deaf-Plus.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

What ticks me off are people who speak loudly on their cell phone so people across the world can hear them. I also hate it when people use the speakerphone option for non-important "social" calls. Someone...please take me back to the mid 80s when cell phones were expensive and primarily used in cars. :)

Amen! That is not cool. Especially @ 7:00 am on the train to work. Urge to kill rising...:mad2:

Amen! That is not cool. Especially @ 7:00 am on the train to work. Urge to kill rising...:mad2:

No doubt! After I received my first CI, I couldn't believe how LOUD people spoke on their cell phones, but fortunately, now I can either turn off my CIs for complete silence or use my softer map. :)

In the hearing perspective, I would be considered Deaf-Plus because I am DeafBlind.

Another perspective of Deaf-Plus, a Deaf person with CP.

We cannot have this term "Deaf-Plus" as we do not see the hearing community being labelled as "hearing-plus".

Hearing with CP - Hearing-Plus, this is why I advocate the eradication of Deaf-Plus.

Oh I see what you mean by Deaf-plus now. I would also be considered Deafl-plus since I'm deafblind with some mobility issues as well.

You make a good point. It's interesting how multiple-disabled are pretty much always defined primarily as one disability with the other disabilities "attached" to that disability. In the case of deafblindness, a lot of people consider that as one unique disability, which is why I imagine is why "deaf" and "blind" can be merged into one word. At the same time, I know a lot of deafblind people consider themselves as deaf first and blind second, or blind first and deaf second. I, for example, consider myself blind first, and hard of hearing second.

Oh I see what you mean by Deaf-plus now. I would also be considered Deafl-plus since I'm deafblind with some mobility issues as well.

You make a good point. It's interesting how multiple-disabled are pretty much always defined primarily as one disability with the other disabilities "attached" to that disability. In the case of deafblindness, a lot of people consider that as one unique disability, which is why I imagine is why "deaf" and "blind" can be merged into one word. At the same time, I know a lot of deafblind people consider themselves as deaf first and blind second, or blind first and deaf second. I, for example, consider myself blind first, and hard of hearing second.

I feel the same way. I consider myself blind first (since I was born blind) and deaf second since I had progressive hearing loss. I've seen different variations on how the word deafblind should be written, but IMO, I think it should be expressed as one word since blindness impacts deafness and vice-versa.

I feel the same way. I consider myself blind first (since I was born blind) and deaf second since I had progressive hearing loss. I've seen different variations on how the word deafblind should be written, but IMO, I think it should be expressed as one word since blindness impacts deafness and vice-versa.

I agree with you since I think deafblindness also describes the inability to compensate for the loss of one sense with the other sense.

I was born deaf, my dad never taught me sign, just put me in regular school and got me to learn to speechread and talk. I can sign a little, because my friend taught me, but my dad has always expected me to act just like a hearing person. He's never tried to learn to sign or anything. I have always wished I could sign and be part of deaf culture. I hate that my hearing dad expects me to basically act hearing all the time.

Welcome to AD Hayleigh!

I've not heard the term 'deaf plus' before! perhaps it has not made it across the pond - thank god! I think thats outrageous!

Back