What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

"I'm Sorry!".....Used to bug the heck outta' me!....and more than once, (when I was in a bad or rushed mood)...I responded..."Yeah...you ARE sorry!...Anything else I need to know about you?".....:laugh2:

It doesn't bug me so bad any more tho'....

And another thing....:giggle:..uneducated people thinking they are so much smarter than deafies....Recently had that problem with one of my neighbors....but, I put that woman in her place....she can't even spell....so I asked her if she finished high school?....She doesn't have much to say to me now-a-days, tho'....

Why do some people get so mad with me when I can't understand them? I'm frustrated too. Why you got to make it personal???

"I'm Sorry!".....Used to bug the heck outta' me!....and more than once, (when I was in a bad or rushed mood)...I responded..."Yeah...you ARE sorry!...Anything else I need to know about you?".....:laugh2:

It doesn't bug me so bad any more tho'....

And another thing....:giggle:..uneducated people thinking they are so much smarter than deafies....Recently had that problem with one of my neighbors....but, I put that woman in her place....she can't even spell....so I asked her if she finished high school?....She doesn't have much to say to me now-a-days, tho'....

Sounds like you're better off with her not having much to say to you anymore anyway.:giggle:

One that I get a lot is when someone is behind me and i don't hear them and then they decide to tap me on the shoulder to get my attention.
I HATE this too! My daughter used to do it ALL the time when my hearing loss first got bad enough. The thing I hate the most about it is that she would tap me, but it was more like quick poke assault. RAPTAPTAPTAP! of quick pokes assaulting me in the shoulder, or some other fleshy area. I asked her nicely (she is young and I love her) a lot of times but she kept doing it. Finally I snapped one day. She mostly remembers not to tap me anymore. Now she uses a flat hand and kind of rubs me on the shoulder. That doesn't bother me. Once in a while she will forget and tap (poke) me. I give her a look and right away she is sorry LOL. :giggle: Its so weird that it is people's natural inclination to tap people who can't hear :roll:. I can think of a million other ways to get my attention.

Hmmm, when I was at IHOP restaurant. The manager AND the waitress refused to serve deaf people and refused to communicate with us. (We had a hearing person with us)

I can hear, but I can't speak.
I constantly get ignored at resteraunts.
It drives me absolutely insane. This one time, I was at a Friendly's waiting for a refill on my tea. Nothing I did got that waitress to my table, even when she was looking right at me! I got fed up! I went to the entrance to the kitchen and banged my cup on the door frame till the owner came and spoke to me!
I also emailed their offices and explained what went on. I got myself 2 free meals that way!
I think I scared that waitress. I was PISSED! :pissed:
Owner didn't even know what to say to me. Even though the words I wrote down were polite, it was obvious I was furious.

Also, I get waitresses who will ask people I'm with "What does she want?".
I wrote it down. Can they not read? It's the fastest way to loose a tip from me! I've even gone as far to pay for everyone I'm with just so I can leave $0.02 for a tip - so they know I didn't forget a tip!

Not all are like that. My last trip to Denny's with my mom, the waiter gave me the same attention he gave my speaking mother, and had no issue with me writing things down.

Anoher thing I have noticed about some hearing people that annoys me, sometimes is frightening, is when they get absorbed into the Deaf culture and chastise the deaf for not following the norms of the Deaf culture.....

* One hearing person went to the extreme of eliminating all sound from their home.

The above is hearing people going to the extreme for the sake of the Deaf culture.

That strikes me as creepy!

Hm, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the word "nevermind". :lol: Though I am guilty of saying it back to hearing people.

I get frustrated with my roommate and tell him "never mind". :(
Maybe I shouldn't do that.
He gets just as frustrated with me for not being able to speak.

word, but they shouldn't be lumped in with "hearies" that is sooooo not typical behavior, that is weird almost fetishlike behavior.

I've had people get creepily interested in other aspects of my life. It was one of the most unsettling and downright frightening experience I've had.

Ignorance... I am hearing myself, but I am speaking about others. They act like people that are Deaf/HOH are from Mars. I look at them, and I think to myself... did you seriously just do/say that? Where are your social skills? I don't know. Some people just make all us hearing people look bad. As for myself though, I have always been a sensible person (when I'm not drunk... :rofl: kidding!), so honestly some of this stuff that people have said, done really surprises and shocks me. I apologize on their behalf for any hurt feelings, I doubt it was done out of spite (except for someone pointing and laughing...that is just awful) I for one am not that stereotypical "hearie". I was raised to accept and love everyone, and I will do just that. <3 <3 <3 I love the Deaf community, and always will, which is why I am becoming an interpreter. Anyone that has hurt feelings, feel free to inbox me, I'm here if you want to talk.

haha, yeah.. I don't ever use my ears either. if deaf people should hear while driving, then maybe they should ban loud radio from cars. .

I'm completely mind blown that anybody would doubt a deaf person's ability drive. I can hear, but in the car, all I hear is the stereo! That's true for most people I know!

I usually wink and blow a kiss. They stop staring real quick. :giggle:
It really annoys me when I go out to a restaurant with my friends (hearing friends who know ASL), chat with them, and always end up getting stared at by strangers. And it's always blatant too. It makes me feel self conscious. >.< I usually end up staring back at them or smirking and waving at them in a very sarcastic manner.

haha Granny terp :) thats cute... I'm a newborn terp I guess. Not certified but have a bit of experience... I'll get there though!
Nah, I'm not offended. Just giving you a heads up of what to expect.

How can I be offended? In addition to being a hearie, I'm also called a terp. And that's my "professional" title! :lol:

Yesterday, my husband and I were arguing because I wanted him to go to a dinner party with me at a friend's house, and he didn't want to go. We argued about it, then I finally gave up and left by myself. 15 min after I drive away, he texts me and says, "I dont know why you left without me. I said I'd go like 5 times." :mad: NO he didn't! But because I am hoh, he thinks he can make up that he said something when he didn't, and that I can't argue back about it. And kind of, I can't really argue back because I can't say, "I hear perfectly fine." But I know he is lying because I was looking at him the whole time we were arguing, and I would have seen him say it (I read lips and I have risidual hearing). Now he thinks I can't be mad at him because he just going to lie and say that he said something he didn't, and blame my hearing to make it my fault. Ugh! Any of you have something like this happen?

Yesterday, my husband and I were arguing because I wanted him to go to a dinner party with me at a friend's house, and he didn't want to go. We argued about it, then I finally gave up and left by myself. 15 min after I drive away, he texts me and says, "I dont know why you left without me. I said I'd go like 5 times." :mad: NO he didn't! But because I am hoh, he thinks he can make up that he said something when he didn't, and that I can't argue back about it. And kind of, I can't really argue back because I can't say, "I hear perfectly fine." But I know he is lying because I was looking at him the whole time we were arguing, and I would have seen him say it (I read lips and I have risidual hearing). Now he thinks I can't be mad at him because he just going to lie and say that he said something he didn't, and blame my hearing to make it my fault. Ugh! Any of you have something like this happen?

My soon to be ex husband used to pull that shit on me!! Also I remember you saying he shows no interest in learning ASL? I'm late deafened as well, he out right refused to learn it with me :( Then when we were going through the break up, in all the arguments ASl got brought up somehow, and how he wouldn't learn it, so I guess I broguht it up, and he's all "I'll learn it for you". Nope, too little too late asshole.

oh! I shouldn't be all doom and gloom with you sorry!!

^ ^
I'm curious, what were the reason(s) for their side of the argument?
I'm just wondering if it is generic male behavior, we know the deaf guys are not exactly saints either...:ugh:

Back