What sorts of tests happen before a CI?

ecp

Reaction score
I am a cochlear implant candidate. I have progressive SNHL that is now profound and though I know when people are talking, I understand almost nothing.
I "get by" ok when I'm at home talking to my fiancé but if there is any background noise, I'm lost.
I grew up with sign language but since my hearing loss is progressive I didn't depend on visual language until I was in my late teens.
I'm hoping to start medical school next year.
I have worked my ass off in undergrad, my years as a laboratory researcher and working in a clinical setting. I'm now getting a master's degree in biomedical science. I work much harder than my hearing peers even though my professors agree that I'm "the one student who understands the material."

Anyway, what sorts of tests did you have to do.
I know an audiogram will be involved and speech testing. I had a CT scan several years ago to look for cochlear malformations (but they didn't look for LVAS (https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/eva.aspx)).
If I decide to get tested for a CI, what tests will I have to do?
Will I have to do an ABR? I think I had one several years ago.

I am one of those "worrier" types of people. I worry way too much about things I can't change but I tend to worry much, much less if I know what is coming.
Any help is appreciated.

My own evaluation simply boiled down to booth testing and a CAT scan. No ABR testing was involved. It was pretty straightforward.

I know exactly what you are hearing and you are on the right track. A CI is the best course of action for your needs. You will be hearing so much more than you ever did with a hearing aid!

As I recall the tests before Cochlear Implant almost 6 years ago balance test ( water in the ear) CAT scans but no additional hearing tests. I was bilateral DEAF at that point-December 2006. My entire "hearing file" was reviewed by Sunnybrook/Toronto. I also received a meningitis shot prior to the operation.

Aside SNHL /good physical shape-easily recovered from the operation- July 12, 2007.

To key to adjusting to one's Implant is to have it on all time while awake. To pick what you haven't heard before due to Hearing loss. I mentioned before a funny one-thought someone was following me- just me picking up my own footsteps!

Good luck

I had a thorough hearing test, the surgeon's assistance did a quick balance test (I had to stand with my arms out and close my eyes). CT scan done, then a couple years later an MRI (we were still questioning whether or not I had ossification in my left ear and the MRI didn't catch it). Some CI centers might do a few more testings, each CI Center have their own set of testings.

What do they do the balance tests for? my balance sucks!! Too much damage from the otosclerosis to my ventricles.

Pretty much that was mentioned. Unless you have a pre-existing condition (functional nerves are required for CI to work), not much to be concerned about
Another thing my doc had me do was update my vaccinations, especially for a meningitis preventative. Everyone has the same general requirements done, give or take a few more procedures depending on the person's medical history. After the CI op, then there's the swelling...

Pretty much that was mentioned. Unless you have a pre-existing condition (functional nerves are required for CI to work), not much to be concerned about

This.

The auditory nerve between your cochlea and your grey matter needs to be in good working order.

Like Bleedingpurist, mine was a booth test and CAT scan.

Just remember this....don't expect things to go back to the way things were when you could hear. You will hear more, but it is going to be a different kind of hearing until you get used to it. Everyone has different results.

What do they do the balance tests for? my balance sucks!! Too much damage from the otosclerosis to my ventricles.

The cochlea is where balancing is "calculated". Think of your cochlea as a carpenter's level...when you are standing up straight and level, the bubble is in the middle. If you have balance issues now, they can be made worse with the introduction of a foreign object inside there.

The cochlea is where balancing is "calculated". Think of your cochlea as a carpenter's level...when you are standing up straight and level, the bubble is in the middle. If you have balance issues now, they can be made worse with the introduction of a foreign object inside there.

awesome :(

I had an ABR, CT Scan, basic blood work, EEG and the Meningitis vaccine. Some surgery centers will cancel your surgery if you didn't get the Meningitis vaccine. Like everyone has said it depends on your health and maybe your age. Nothing to drastic though.

at pre-op, they did basic blood work and checked my vitals and stuff, went over my medical history. and yeah, had to get meningitis vaccine too (pneumovax).

Why would they do an ABR?

I think, think that's to make sure your auditory nerve is getting a signal, or something like that. I think if it's not they wouldn't go ahead with the implant because it couldn't work with the auditory nerve.

wait no, the brainstem is receiving the electric impulse from the auditory nerve.

Not sure actually why they would do that on an adult that has history of hearing with hearing aids, even if it is limited hearing. I mean, if you're hearing anything seems to me your nerve is sending the "sound" and your brain is getting it right?

Not sure actually why they would do that on an adult that has history of hearing with hearing aids, even if it is limited hearing. I mean, if you're hearing anything seems to me your nerve is sending the "sound" and your brain is getting it right?

I agree. The fact that at one point in my life I had near normalish hearing (hearing test in 1st grade but they tested at 45dB. In 2nd grade I memorized the responses of the kids before me and um....cheated) is great evidence that I have functioning auditory nerves. Also, I get some benefit with hearing aids.

One thing that has me hesitant about going for the CI (aside from insurance matters) is that I've recently been using my old school FM system from my first year of college (8 years ago...omg I'm old). I have had pretty significant benefit from that in lectures and watching TV but it obviously doesn't correct distortion.
I'll be trying it out while driving to my aunt's house for Thanksgiving. My fiancé is excited that I might be able to drive without constantly trying to lipread him.

The ABR is used for auditory threshold estimation, intraoperative monitoring, determining hearing loss type and degree, and auditory nerve and brainstem lesion detection.

Back