What should I do? A question for class.

snuggbuggz

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jessica and am living at Iowa School for the Deaf. In my classees with Deaf Missions, I need to get a response from people helping me out on a situation. My situation is: If I am talking with Deaf friends and a hearing friend comes up to me and starts talking to me. Do I need to interpret what my friend is saying even if it is just a short question, or should i just let her ask me and tell her the answer, or should I sign back to her then use my voice? If anyone has an opinion on this please write back...I would like to know as many opinions as I can. Thank you

MODS: pls move ther thread cuz of new person..

welcome here and enjoy urself here! :D

snuggbuggz said:
Hi, my name is Jessica and am living at Iowa School for the Deaf. In my classees with Deaf Missions, I need to get a response from people helping me out on a situation. My situation is: If I am talking with Deaf friends and a hearing friend comes up to me and starts talking to me. Do I need to interpret what my friend is saying even if it is just a short question, or should i just let her ask me and tell her the answer, or should I sign back to her then use my voice? If anyone has an opinion on this please write back...I would like to know as many opinions as I can. Thank you

I think that you should interpret the whole conversation so no one is left out. Or if its personal politely excuse yourself and then talk to her.

snuggbuggz said:

Hmmm.... No easy answer there. I am a hearing person learning ASL, and I have had this situation come up. I would say if the person has one short question, you could just answer it; and then tell ur deaf friend(s) what the question/answer were. If it is longer, I would interpret by restating the question in ur answer, u know what I mean? Like, if your friend said, "Do you want to go to the movies tomorrow?" I would sign, "Do I want to go the movies tomorrow? yeah" or sign "Yeah, I want to go the movies tomorrow." If it is going to be a long conversation, and you don't feel like interpreting, then do excuse yourself from your friends. As long as you make sure everyone understands, it's usually fine. I usually have more of a problem remembering to voice for my hearing friends than sign for my deaf friends... doesn't everyone know sign language?

If you were talking to a deaf person and then a hearing person came along and asked you a question or talking to this hearing person in front of this deaf person, and this deaf person is unable to know what you both are saying in front of her/him, I wouldn't find that quite fair at all, look at it this way, if you were talking to a hearing person, then another hearing person comes along and ask questions or whatever it may be, and that hearing person could hear what you both are talking about....so no matter if the person is deaf or hearing, should be treat the same and to make sure all your friends feel involved in this whether or not this person is unable to hear or don't know any signs....Otherwise you will be hurting your friend cause you didn't think of your friend when you are talking to this hearing friend that came along, always make your friends feel comfortable and make them feel they're part of the converations no matter what it's about.....or if you feel like you need to step out for a second and talk to this hearing friend, than your deaf friend will understand it's something private that you both would need to discuss alone...

I hope this helps ;)

Well, that's a toughie for me... cuz it depends. I've interpreted for my deaf friends before and they will tell me that I don't need to tell them. I guess it's more of an issue depending on the importance of the converstation. If it was a quick answer that only needed a yes or no answer, then I'd probably say nothing. If it was something that I am not completely sure about, I would then interpret it. I dunno. :dunno:

Sometimes it really does depend on the person. I have friends who don't care what I'm saying in other languages, usually these are the really quiet people who don't care about much. Other friends of mine are really interested no matter what language is being spoken, and want to know it all.
Also, I don't know if it's totally fair to compare if chatting with deaf/hearing person and another hearing/deaf person approaches BECAUSE culturally, it is considered more rude in deaf culture to leave a person out than in hearing culture. From what I've learned and seen, deafies ALWAYS repeat for each other when someone misses something. In hearing culture people make comments "under their breath," sometimes on purpose, ALL the time. People miss stuff all the time and get annoyed when asked to repeat. I dunno, just depends.

Here's an Answer

No, I would hold up your index finger to the hearing person, meaning to tell them to hold on for a second while you finish your conversation with your Deaf friends. You should interpret what you are talking about, but let her ask you first. Usually hearing people will want to know what is being said. You should sign for you Deaf friends what is being said between you and your hearing friend because then Deaf people will not feel left out. Hope that helps!

Yes, that is the correct way. I put my hand up in front of a hearing person to indicate to stop talking to me until I finish conversation with my deaf friends. Then when I finish conversation with my deaf friends, hearing person can talk to me and I can sign to my friends what he/she says. After all finish, I let the hearing person know that I am in a conversation with the deaf person when he/she try to intrupts me by talking to me and I can't have conversation with both my deaf friends and hearing person at the same time with both talking/signing to me about different things. Usually the hearing person is not deaf awareness about deaf people communicates in sign language as some people has never seen deaf people communicates.

No, I would hold up your index finger to the hearing person, meaning to tell them to hold on for a second while you finish your conversation with your Deaf friends. You should interpret what you are talking about, but let her ask you first. Usually hearing people will want to know what is being said. You should sign for you Deaf friends what is being said between you and your hearing friend because then Deaf people will not feel left out. Hope that helps!

:gpost:
Yes, that is the correct way. I put my hand up in front of a hearing person to indicate to stop talking to me until I finish conversation with my deaf friends. Then when I finish conversation with my deaf friends, hearing person can talk to me and I can sign to my friends what he/she says. After all finish, I let the hearing person know that I am in a conversation with the deaf person when he/she try to intrupts me by talking to me and I can't have conversation with both my deaf friends and hearing person at the same time with both talking/signing to me about different things. Usually the hearing person is not deaf awareness about deaf people communicates in sign language as some people has never seen deaf people communicates.

:gpost: If I am talking with a deaf friend, and a hearing friend approaches, I always interpret all of the conversation so everyone is included.

:welcome: Here! :wave: This place is great place to meet with other people from all over the place.

Enjoy your stay in AD and post anything to share with us!

:cheers:

Back