What Sandy did to New Jersey

CrazyPaul

Reaction score
Powerless in New Jersey post-Sandy - CNN.com

Damn, look at picture #9, that's a big tree so no wonder it's called a superstorm. And look at pic #12, so many cabs are damaged, that would cost insurance companies alot of money for new replacements.

People who live in the damaged areas cry for help, no hot water and power. If it were me, I would be fucked. One lady on TV news said "We are going to die" if they don't get help quickly.

I'm worried about New Jersey (particularly Hoboken) a lot too.
Photo Album - Imgur
Sinatra Park looks completely submerged by a few feet.
I heard from people who live there that they have not had power in a week.
I heard the supermarkets are only accepting cash.
I can't remember the last time I paid for anything in cash...
The apartment where I was staying hasn't had water or gas in a week.
I can't even begin to imagine what I would do without any water or gas.
I'd have no way to cook food and no way to find drinking water.
I feel fortunate that I didn't get stranded, but I'm worried about the people who are down there. How are they getting their water and food?
I guess since the big issue is finding places to charge cell phones, most people have water and food...

Wow, look at picture #14!! Looks like a beagle dog got a ride on a loader. Interesting....

Poor car... I think it's safe to say the car is un-driveable. :lol:

When ppl run out of patience, they think they will die.

I'm worried about New Jersey (particularly Hoboken) a lot too.
Photo Album - Imgur
Sinatra Park looks completely submerged by a few feet.
I heard from people who live there that they have not had power in a week.
I heard the supermarkets are only accepting cash.
I can't remember the last time I paid for anything in cash...
The apartment where I was staying hasn't had water or gas in a week.
I can't even begin to imagine what I would do without any water or gas.
I'd have no way to cook food and no way to find drinking water.
I feel fortunate that I didn't get stranded, but I'm worried about the people who are down there. How are they getting their water and food?
I guess since the big issue is finding places to charge cell phones, most people have water and food...

For California, I use a earthquake surivial kit, emergency power kit and MRE (Meal Ready Eat).

survival+kit+for+earthquakes.jpg

biolite-stove.jpg
BioLite - BioLite Stove - recharging battery for camp
MealMREPic1.gif
up to 10 years to expire.

For New York, Aftermath Sandy superstorm. They use biolite campstove for recharging their cellphones
Expalining_BioLite_CampStove_1_BioLite-680x382.jpg

It's so crazy here in NJ right now. There are still a bunch of places without power and/or heat. The gas rationing is turning people into lunatics. People are pulling guns, freaking out at people for not pulling away after they fill up fast enough (That one happened to me. I just flipped them off and drove away. Impatient bastards..). The roads are mostly clear of trees now but you can still see them toppled over in people's yards and, in some cases, on their homes.

Just crazy.

I went to Hoboken yesterday. It looked like much of the effects of Sandy were cleared.

Ef2q0.png

Many basements flooded and as for the belongings inside the basements...
Much of it is ruined and put out on the side of the curb for garbage pickup.

rEcPc.png

A police car sits under a tree with a broken limb, which is placed across the street.
In the distance you can see a Hoboken fire truck and the high school (gray and red buildling) which served as a refuge site for those without heat.

ESn0C.png

More Sandy-related garbage overflow.
Also, some houses had the house electric panel in the basement, so now even after the flooding, they have to get their panel boxes serviced before turning the power back on.

rsEyk.png

All the stuff pulled from this basement storage area almost looks like a makeshift yard sale.

I also heard that for many of the cars parked near the path station were submerged at least 2 feet underwater. A classmate reported seeing people with their trunks open and windows rolled down after the storm to try to dry out their cars.

http://i.imgur.com/6IZxD.jpg
(this is not my photo, but this is along the way to my walk to the station which you can see in the distance / clock tower)

But for a lot of my classmates, the big issue for them was having no power. The biggest complaint was that there was nowhere to charge their cellphone... which I guess is not a direct survival tool, but it can help you survive by locating resources (like food, shelters, gasoline if you need it).

There were still police cars stationed at gas stations when I left last night.

OMG, that's fucked up. I watched TV news about one family who suffered without heat and power. They haven't gotten help so far. NJ Senator explained that power panels at impacted houses are no good so they have to be replaced but they have to be ordered because they were sold out in NJ. Some of them will be shipped from Calif.

Shimo - I'm not surprised about Hoboken. I've been to Hoboken during Hurricane Irene and now another mess from Hurricane Sandy. It's constantly flooded whenever there's heavy raining. There's a reason why Hoboken is a shithole and has always been a shithole. No idea why rich people want to move and build condos in there :dunno:

Powerless in New Jersey post-Sandy - CNN.com

Damn, look at picture #9, that's a big tree so no wonder it's called a superstorm. And look at pic #12, so many cabs are damaged, that would cost insurance companies alot of money for new replacements.

about #9 - I'm not surprised about it. It's because the tree is not rooted deep enough. a tree in suburb? comical.

about #12 - I have a feeling the owner purposely left those cars in there just to collect $$$$$$. I wouldn't worry about insurance companies because they have umbrella coverage.

People who live in the damaged areas cry for help, no hot water and power. If it were me, I would be fucked. One lady on TV news said "We are going to die" if they don't get help quickly.
not really. they had plenty of time to evacuate. plenty. Governor Christie warned them many times. I believe Christie did an outstanding job at handling this multiple crisises than Mayor Bloomberg and previous NJ Governors. He's already tackling down frauds and scammers with extreme prejudice. price gorging too.

OMG, that's fucked up. I watched TV news about one family who suffered without heat and power. They haven't gotten help so far. NJ Senator explained that power panels at impacted houses are no good so they have to be replaced but they have to be ordered because they were sold out in NJ. Some of them will be shipped from Calif.

plenty of shelters around here that are already set up by FEMA, NJ, Red Cross, and now AirBnB.

Solar Panels on roof are no good but emergency light with solar panel is very useful.

about #9 - I'm not surprised about it. It's because the tree is not rooted deep enough. a tree in suburb? comical.

about #12 - I have a feeling the owner purposely left those cars in there just to collect $$$$$$. I wouldn't worry about insurance companies because they have umbrella coverage.

not really. they had plenty of time to evacuate. plenty. Governor Christie warned them many times. I believe Christie did an outstanding job at handling this multiple crisises than Mayor Bloomberg and previous NJ Governors. He's already tackling down frauds and scammers with extreme prejudice. price gorging too.

Also, he did sign the executive order to block those greedy insurances from charging their customers $14,000 deductible in home/hurricane insurance (normally, home insurance deductible is about $500.

No idea why rich people want to move and build condos in [Hoboken] :dunno:
It's because Hoboken is only 15-20 minutes away from Manhattan, but costs far less than there to have property. There are a lot of young couples with babies in Hoboken where one or both parents work in NYC.

It's because Hoboken is only 15-20 minutes away from Manhattan, but costs far less than there to have property. There are a lot of young couples with babies in Hoboken where one or both parents work in NYC.

plenty of other towns around here that more suitable than Hoboken. Living right close to Hudson River is just plain dang silly.

I can never understand people's rationality for living right next to coastal zone when it's known for flooding. I guess it's nice to have some money to burn :dunno:

my home area can never ever get any flood since it's on top of mountain and the water will simply flow down to town beneath me.... which are bunch of rich people building condos and million dollars homes that are prone to flooding and power outage.

I've underestimated this Hurricane Sandy but at least I was prepared for it. What I wasn't prepared for was gas crisis. It's amazing that gas cans were sold out all over the places including all the way up to Rochester and amazon.com

You know what's funny? There wasn't really any gas shortage in the first place. There were plenty of gas but it's just that lot of gas stations did not have power to run the pumps. Gas stations should get power generator since they have plenty of fuel to run the generator.

There was a gas crisis because of misinformation spreading like a wildfire thru social medias, scaring public into thinking we're out of fuel and there won't be any more fuel for a week or so. I guarantee that majority of people waiting in the line for fuel do not necessarily need fuel but they went because it's just to "feel good, feel safe" to have extra fuel. For example, gas stations and supplies are designed handle up to around 100 customers a day on regular days but with gas scare... there were probably over 600+ customers a day.

NJ Governor Christie issued a odd-even gas rationing system - (ie. license plate ending with even number can refuel on even-numbered day).

We surely have learned a lesson from this and I'm sure we would be better prepared next time for gas situation... meaning we would be using truck gas tankers as temporary refueling station at several locations in case gas stations lost power. and gas stations should have power generator as back-up.

having a back-up power generator is tricky because most of us will not be using it for a long while and that can cause power generator to not work when we really need it. it needs to be properly maintained and the engine would get gunky if we do not use it for a long period of time.

I read this very good tip - get a tire plug kit because your car will definitely get a flat tire when driving around in a town full of debris.

There was some discussion about making it law that all gas stations come with a backup generator like they have it in Florida,
Buono calls for gas stations to be equipped with generators | Politicker NJ

but the estimated cost is quite high.
Insight: After Sandy, Big Oil's pumps fail motorists | Reuters
The breakdown in supplies has prompted calls from lawmakers to introduce rules modeled on hurricane-prone Florida, where key gas stations are required to have access to back-up power within hours of a storm. The suggestion is already meeting with fierce resistance from industry groups, which say purchasing a $30,000 generator would inflict financial hardship on station owners and convenience stores, which on average earn just $45,000 a year.
$30000 for a gas station that only makes $45000 a year?
This does not sound like a good idea. What if there is no more big storms for another 50 years?

I must admit though, I was ready for the power to go out, the water to cut out, the heat to fail, for trees to fall maybe on the house, but I was definitely not foreseeing any problems with gasoline until I saw dozens and dozens of cars lined up at every gas station trying to buy gasoline, even if it was 92 gas. Then things got freaky..........

My area didn't get hit very hard by Sandy at all (little rainfall, brief power out, no disruption in cable/internet) but according to my local newspaper, there was people driving up from Croton-Harmon and Yonkers to get gas from us, even though we're an hour and an hour and a half north of those places respectively.

There was some discussion about making it law that all gas stations come with a backup generator like they have it in Florida,
Buono calls for gas stations to be equipped with generators | Politicker NJ

but the estimated cost is quite high.
Insight: After Sandy, Big Oil's pumps fail motorists | Reuters
$30000 for a gas station that only makes $45000 a year?
This does not sound like a good idea. What if there is no more big storms for another 50 years?

I must admit though, I was ready for the power to go out, the water to cut out, the heat to fail, for trees to fall maybe on the house, but I was definitely not foreseeing any problems with gasoline until I saw dozens and dozens of cars lined up at every gas station trying to buy gasoline, even if it was 92 gas. Then things got freaky..........

My area didn't get hit very hard by Sandy at all (little rainfall, brief power out, no disruption in cable/internet) but according to my local newspaper, there was people driving up from Croton-Harmon and Yonkers to get gas from us, even though we're an hour and an hour and a half north of those places respectively.

I don't agree with the law requiring NJ/NY gas stations to get backup generators since we do not have this kind of "disaster" often like Florida does on yearly basis. This is the first time something like this happened to us in decades so such proposal makes absolutely no sense. It's more of a knee-jerk finger-pointing proposal. I'm sorry if that politician waited in the line a little too long for his gas.

what we should do is learn from Sandy disaster and know what to do next time it happens. FEMA should have power generators ready to deliver to any gas station if needed and then bill them.

but really - what happened was a mass panic exacerbated by social media based on misinformation and irrationality. majority of people waiting in the line do not necessarily need gas but they rushed to gas stations because of a "just-in-case" mentality.

Back