What kind of trade jobs can deaf and hard of hearing have?

Darrr

Reaction score
I’m 26 from Connecticut. I have hearing less since I was 2. I do know how to talk and hear by using ci. I do sign language too. I’m here for to ask anyone who have experiences of any trade careers such as plumber, electrician, carpenter, welder... And I want to be deaf plumber or maybe HVAC technician so this is summer, I would take plumbing apprenticeship for 5 years. Do you think I would get a job if I have excellent experiences and safety trained for gas leak, hazards and other dangerous things. But I know the only problem is hearing boss plumber would be afraid of hiring me because I’m deaf....

As long as you do good work someone will be glad to have you in their company. It may take some looking about, but you will do well!

A smart boss will understand that he or she can run interference any time you have difficulty communicating with a customer. You will be making money for them, so don't worry.

Yes; as long as you do good work, and are respectful, and likeable, you'll have no problem getting a job in any of those fields. During the course of your learning, you will want to also build up a resume, and get some good references which will help as well.
Good luck!

Don't feel like you can't stand up for yourself. If I feel like someone is talking down to me, I stop it right there cause I've learned that if you let them do that, they'll continue to do so and gets worse as time goes by.

I just go to my supervisor and tell them what is going on and want to be treated with respect like everyone else. Never had a problem with speaking up against them.

I know of someone deaf who got a plumbing job through his dad's plumbing company but they told him he has to pass the plumbing certificate exam which is required for all plumbers to take in order to become a journeyman plumber. They have to take several exams in order to move up. He couldn't pass the exams no matter what because he did not have good English due to his high level of ASL so his dad allowed him to install only new plumbing but eventually everyone agreed he had to go because sometimes there wasn't any work for new plumbing installments and he would have had to work in other fields of plumbing like working under houses, repair, etc...so they let him quit working there. The apprenticeship program is a good one to work your way through. It's possible.

Hey Darrr, I've been in the timber trade for 25 years, before that 15 years in construction & have worked with deaf & hard of hearing trades people male & female, quality & speed of work counts far more than disabilities.

I've worked with an amputee, a carpenter & he was amazing how he adapted with his disability.

Many walks of life have people with various disabilities with good respectable careers.

Try not to make your difficulty an issue for anyone, & get them grades & don't let any disability stop you, good luck with your chosen career.

I am a trucker. But not just a trucker. I picked up and learned many different little things along the way, all of which sometimes add up to a job well done. You would not know I am deaf unless you saw me. Ive had people go omfg you are deaf driving that big 18 wheeler? Yes so? Can I help you with something?

When I was a home owner I have had a good blessing to hire small professionals for small jobs. I remember one crew in particular. In terms of timber work, tree etc. One person acted strange, I asked that person's boss who I hired on for a particular work whats going on with that fella. He explained to me carefully that he is a vet from Iraq and fallujah. He is able to do work on my land and trees because it is awful quiet if not for the birds and wildlife here and there. He loves working when that company is called for this and that. All I needed to do is just leave him be. Its all good.

And it was. I don't think he was much more than 21. But he as a worker was very professional and I think someday when things are peaceful long enough he will be a very strong business owner. However it was very important then to find work in which war was the absolute last problem. I informed that man's boss that a combat medic lived on a corner property and he is more than welcome to visit that man's fence if he needed anything. And so it was.

I can think of many trades in which different disabilities did well. Now.... a word of caution.

To be deaf, to possess a sign language, a education, training and be human at home and have dreams of the future etc. Is to over come certain very bad limitations imposed against handicapped people centuries ago. Even decades ago, deaf were herded into the workshop to sit and fold envelopes for the state. Be nice, be quiet sit there and fold these envelopes. Nothing else. 15 minutes for a bit of lunch. Thats a workshop.

I consider it the worst of places. So to have something in life that you were trained to do freely, used professionally to make a good living whatever it might be and possibly become a crew boss or even own your company in a given trade someday in your future is VERY possible.

Not too many people get to have that kind of feeling. A bright future full of possibilities when your body is broken in someway and somehow seen as less among those who are not handicapped.

Ive said enough. There are really nothing one cannot learn or train to do well. I even possess flying but with my hammy hands am better off navigating. Trust me. Im NOT that good of a pilot. Nor should I be trying to be one. I just don't have the hands for it. Too many years fighting 40 ton in bad weather in the mountains without powersteering. Takes a little something out of the hands. Im happy right here on the ground. Ive had a good run in life. There is a whole Nation FULL of people who need a professional at one trade or another in anything. Have at it. 26 years old, you are just getting started. You probably have a good 50 plus years in you still to go. Get going already yer late ha....

Back