What kind of mobile phones do deaf people need?

Judi0528

Reaction score
1. Smart phone answering: Answering phone calls is difficult for the hearing impaired, so we hope that mobile phone manufacturers can add accessibility features to this scenario, for example, a direct reply to the message "I am not available to answer the phone, what do you want" after the phone rings and hangs up, or the development of text-to-speech technology, which allows the hearing impaired to answer the phone in real time.
2. What hearing impaired users care about is: 1) the design of the interface; 2) the ability to save speech and text; 3) the accuracy of recognition; and 4) the ability to run in the background so that they can use other applications when it is on.

"development of text-to-speech technology," I think you mean speech-to-text. There are several things already out there for this.

The very first smartphone ANYTHING that is required is a phone number of the incoming call and the WHO, WHERE, and WHAT they are.

I make it a strict practice never to answer a phone call with just a plain number and ESPECIALLY private etc. The voice mail system finally locked up so it is no longer working. 97% of them is scammers and spammers trying to get through spoofing a local number in my area code.

Answering a strange call goes through the whole routine of who are you, who is this, what are you? and so on etc. Forget it. If anyone is to call I'll do it usually by relay.

The people who matter in my life, they can find me in the real world if something truly important is happening such as a friends or relatives death, illness or something else.

The smartphone in my possession is a cheap 30 dollar thing. The computer in there is so bad that it will freeze or cough or lockup when you tried to do too many things at once during a call or net session. I just as soon sit here at the computer and get it done with way less fuss and bother.

1. Smart phone answering: Answering phone calls is difficult for the hearing impaired, so we hope that mobile phone manufacturers can add accessibility features to this scenario, for example, a direct reply to the message "I am not available to answer the phone, what do you want" after the phone rings and hangs up, or the development of text-to-speech technology, which allows the hearing impaired to answer the phone in real time.
2. What hearing impaired users care about is: 1) the design of the interface; 2) the ability to save speech and text; 3) the accuracy of recognition; and 4) the ability to run in the background so that they can use other applications when it is on.
Hearing IMPAIRED? Does it offend you to use the word Deaf? There is nothing impaired about us.

Hearing IMPAIRED? Does it offend you to use the word Deaf? There is nothing impaired about us.
The preferred term keeps changing and is hard to keep up for those without a lot of contact with the Deaf community

I'm deaf in my left ear and slightly in my right (I can hear a bit with a hearing aid). I started off describing myself as HoH, but people sometimes took that as "I need to shout." Then I used Deaf, but someone once told me that I'm not since I can still hear to some degree, so now I just use hearing impaired. I guess it all depends on the individual/community.

The original post asked about a sort of screening feature when answering the phone.
Google Pixels have this ability. When the phone vibrates to tell you about a call; you can hit screen call. The phone then asks the person to identify themselves and why they are calling. From there you can answer, deny or send a custom message.
Hope this helps, Judi.

The original post asked about a sort of screening feature when answering the phone.
Google Pixels have this ability. When the phone vibrates to tell you about a call; you can hit screen call. The phone then asks the person to identify themselves and why they are calling. From there you can answer, deny or send a custom message.
Hope this helps, Judi.
Does it do speech to text of the identification info the caller leaves on one of these phones?

Back