What is your mode of communication with Hearies?

BecLak

Reaction score
As a Deafie, What are some of the ways you communicate with Hearing people?

I talk to them. If they don't understand me, I can write on my phone, or my husband can interpret.

For them, I try to read their lips, and if I can't I get them to write.

And my Boogie Board just came in the mail.. I bet that is going to make life easier.

Last edited:
Verbal mostly, some writing and/or 'body language' (bonus if the hearing person knows sign though).

Attempts at lipreading... dismal but kind of helps with hearing.

Am considering the boogie board.

Used my boogie board today. Had a co-worker with an accent write a couple of words down that I was "not getting". Will take time for me to remember to use it more often.

Used my boogie board today. Had a co-worker with an accent write a couple of words down that I was "not getting". Will take time for me to remember to use it more often.

What is a boogie board?

Sent from my SGH-T399N using AllDeaf App mobile app

I sign to them all..
I also speak, when i want. to...
Or write...so on
I always sign first though...
Of course they dont understsnd but im doing thema favour...ssve your breath im Deaf, im not going to say what, or dance for you, and scresming wont do squat for you either.
I was voice off for over s decade and imoff and in with it.
I orefer vOice off.
anyway..

What is a boogie board?

http://www.myboogieboard.com/na/

I was thinking of that toy we had as kids it was black board with waxed paper on the top , and it had a plastic pen you used to write with . When
you were done you pulled the waxed paper up and got rid of the writing and start all over again.

http://www.myboogieboard.com/na/

I was thinking of that toy we had as kids it was black board with waxed paper on the top , and it had a plastic pen you used to write with . When
you were done you pulled the waxed paper up and got rid of the writing and start all over again.

I can see that when looking at it...what ever happened to that...Ah well....

When I hear/read boogie board, I think of the beach.

I won't lie...I was trying to figure out how a beach toy was going to help anyone communicate.... hence me asking....

I won't lie...I was trying to figure out how a beach toy was going to help anyone communicate.... hence me asking....

Use it to hit people on the head to make them look at you so you can read their lips. :lol:

Use it to hit people on the head to make them look at you so you can read their lips. :lol:

Lol oh then I really need one then lol been tempted to grab some people by ears .... boping them on the back of the head would be a stress reliever :D and goal accomplishing ...

To answer to op.... I read lips, talk, write, and sign....all depends on who it is and why I have to communicate with them...but generally I just want to be left be and do not engage with people...

At the present time-still speak to "hearies" as long as my Cochlear Implant is on.
I am not "voice off" nor any intention of so acting.
aside: will cross over 8 years since being implanted. Still bilateral DEAF.

bit of everything..i will do BSL if other person can or write these days I often use my phone type it out I not best lip reader I get about 20%.my girl use makaton I use that with her..i put myself in position that can see what it all about.i bit like jez like my own company..i get bad migraines and to much concentrating brings them on

Back