What is your Favorite Holiday Pies?

In the south with all our pecan trees, it is always pecan pie. Our fruitcakes alway have a ton of pecans too.

I love pumpkin pie, but I hope to find a way I can make it with an alternative to the canned milk. Apple pie is wonderful and I have already mastered making the pie crust with my dairy-free butter. Mincemeat pie will be the same, with my dairy free butter crust. MIL goes for pecan pie. I find it too sweet and get sick.

In my house, for Thanksgiving, I always make pumpkin, mincemeat and apple pie.
MIL buys pecan and pumpkin pies. She does not bake at all. Since I do, she wants me to make them all. I don't see how 6 of us, need, (get this) 3 pumpkin pies, 2 pecan pies, 2 mincemeat pies and 4 apple pies, not to mention 3 cheesecakes.

I love pumpkin pie, but I hope to find a way I can make it with an alternative to the canned milk. Apple pie is wonderful and I have already mastered making the pie crust with my dairy-free butter. Mincemeat pie will be the same, with my dairy free butter crust. MIL goes for pecan pie. I find it too sweet and get sick.

MIL buys pecan and pumpkin pies. She does not bake at all. Since I do, she wants me to make them all. I don't see how 6 of us, need, (get this) 3 pumpkin pies, 2 pecan pies, 2 mincemeat pies and 4 apple pies, not to mention 3 cheesecakes.

Wow! So many pies...I also like to eat sweet potato or pumpkin pie for breakfast also. It gives me heartburn too...but I've got meds for that.

^^^Tell MIL to pick two - and that's all! No one needs all that sugar.

I did tell her, that they would spoil, so I am only making the 1 each and no cheesecake. So, there will be 3 pies. MIL, mother, hubby son and I like all three, daughter will only eat the apple, if it is my recipe.

Now, this thread just made me wonder... Is it possible to make a pie without using an oven? I don't have an oven.

Now, this thread just made me wonder... Is it possible to make a pie without using an oven? I don't have an oven.

Well - I do remember baking pies and cakes on the grill. I had no working stove or oven for a solid year while in Missouri. We used 3 grills, 2 crock pots, an electric skillet and an electric roaster.

You can buy a Graham Cracker Crumb shell at the grocery store...then buy any canned Pie fillings, pour into it and it's done....Also, Jello Strawberry Cheesecake...No Bake....and so easy!

You can buy a Graham Cracker Crumb shell at the grocery store...then buy any canned Pie fillings, pour into it and it's done....Also, Jello Strawberry Cheesecake...No Bake....and so easy!

Do they have lemon meringue pie filling? Or pumpkin? Don't think I'd get the jello one though... :shock:

I'll have to look around.

lanapoo, our family always has pumpkin chiffon pie. In my opinion it kicks the a$$ of any baked pumpkin pie. Although we use a baked pie crust, you could easily substitute a graham cracker or ginger cookie crust. The pie filling is cooked on the stove top, poured into the crust and refridgerated. Top it with real whipped cream and call me a happy happy pie eater! :D

Last edited:
Lanapoo - you betcha can! Cruise the web, lots and lots of refrigerator pies out there with no baking at all.

Mmm I love pies. My faves are plain apple, apple cranberry, and pumpkin. I also like lemon meringue, banana cream pie, and oreo pudding pie with cool whip.

Nothing like going to grandma's for Thanksgiving, she makes the best pies.

what time are you having dinner??

Last edited:
Im not much of a sweets person but nice fresh hot roast pork pies are amazing

Do they have lemon meringue pie filling? Or pumpkin? Don't think I'd get the jello one though... :shock:

I'll have to look around.

Not sure about the lemon meringue pie filling...but they do have lemon pie filling mix and pumpkin also...you can also buy several sweet potatoes and boil them on the stove, mash them up very well and add sugar, cinammon, etc. and just pour it into the already made pie crust (the kind with no bake)....

As far as the Jello Strawberry Cheesecake...it's very good! Check it out at the grocery store...all you'll need is a graham cracker crumb pie shell (no bake) and milk for the filling.

Get a large toaster oven that you can just put on a counter top. They don't cost that much, and you will be able to bake things.

Back