What is the name of best free antivirus program?

SilverRoxy

Deaf/ASL user
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am looking for antivirus program for my new laptop. What do you recommend?

What kind of OS you have? Windows? Mac OS X?

"best" is a matter of opinion- even from the experts lol. But some of the good ones include Avast!, AVG, Kapersky. Some even say that the Microsoft Essentials (or whatever it is called in 8.1 (Defender?) is fine.

I've used AVG Free for many years as my income fluctuated quite a bit over the years so never bothered to keep up a subscription to any type of paid version.

I used AVG back then when I had XP, never had problems. After XP, I switched to Mac ever since.

"best" is a matter of opinion- even from the experts lol. But some of the good ones include Avast!, AVG, Kapersky. Some even say that the Microsoft Essentials (or whatever it is called in 8.1 (Defender?) is fine.

I've used AVG Free for many years as my income fluctuated quite a bit over the years so never bothered to keep up a subscription to any type of paid version.

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64 bit)

Windows 8 has anti-virus program integrated with OS, called Defender.

Don't install more anti-virus programs because it could cause conflict and severe adverse on performance (slow down, freezing and shut down unexpectedly).

MS take care of security issues via update and just leave auto-update enabled.

In case, if your computer got attacked so boot in safe mode and run Malwarebytes. Just save Malwarebytes on flash drive for emergency use.

Don't install more anti-virus programs because it could cause conflict and severe adverse on performance (slow down, freezing and shut down unexpectedly).

In case, if your computer got attacked so boot in safe mode and run Malwarebytes. Just save Malwarebytes on flash drive for emergency use.

I found antivirus program that will run for one month on my computer. I am having problems that you mentioned. I wish I left it alone. I didn't know that it was running the Defender program.

You can have as many antivirus programs INSTALLED on your computer- they won't cause problems that way but if you RUN them at the same time that's when you will run into issues. You can run each one at different times (and turn off others if they complain about the other running).

Same thing with Spyware removal programs- I used to have Search & Destroy and AdAware on my machines but always ran them separately. Really need to put those or something else back on my machine...

Roxy- yeah unfortunately by default Microsoft has the Defender program ON and the user doesn't always know. I think you can turn off Defender in the Control Panel (I don't know how in 8.1 though) temporarily.

You can have as many antivirus programs INSTALLED on your computer- they won't cause problems that way but if you RUN them at the same time that's when you will run into issues. You can run each one at different times (and turn off others if they complain about the other running).

Same thing with Spyware removal programs- I used to have Search & Destroy and AdAware on my machines but always ran them separately. Really need to put those or something else back on my machine...

Roxy- yeah unfortunately by default Microsoft has the Defender program ON and the user doesn't always know. I think you can turn off Defender in the Control Panel (I don't know how in 8.1 though) temporarily.

Have many anti-virus programs are waste of money/resource and they don't have much benefit as free anti-virus program or included with OS.

I only got virus on my computer if I don't install or enable anti-virus program.

PC gamers hate anti-virus program but Windows Defender is more tolerate.

You technically cannot disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 or MS will enable automatically every after reboot.

You and I have different recommendation (IT opinion) but I don't recommended anyone to install many anti-virus programs, even one of my IT friend agreed with me.

aa26edf92789b64936fcc550813a5cc98f97fa1319c3b40e71c14b9baa9ee43a.jpg

You and I have different recommendation (IT opinion) but I don't recommended anyone to install many anti-virus programs, even one of my IT friend agreed with me.

Yeah there's going to be differing opinions about that everywhere. I wouldn't go buy a bunch of antivirus(no money and some are giant memory Hogs *cough*Norton and McAfee*cough*) but would install the freebie ones as many times some programs will catch crap that others don't or won't. You don't need a whole pile of them... maybe 2 or 3 at most. The Super Geeks and those who test or evaluate them are likely to have quite a few installed.

I am thinking about returning my laptop to Walmart. Mouse pad does not work. Everything looks fine in mouse setting. I don't know why it is not working.

I am thinking about returning my laptop to Walmart. Mouse pad does not work. Everything looks fine in mouse setting. I don't know why it is not working.
Some track pads can be turned off and on. Are you sure that your"s wasn't accidentally turned off?

Back