What is the best way to learn sign language?

BethanyDawnm24

Reaction score
I am hearing impaired. I do not know sign language and don't know anyone else that is deaf or hard of hearing other than my younger brother, who is losing his hearing the same way I did. I would like to learn sign language, but don't really know where to start. Any suggestions? Is there a book or class you recommend? How do I find other deaf/hard of hearing people in my own community? I've been losing my hearing since I was 13- I'm now 29 and I'm tired of barely sliding by. I lipread and I have a cochlear implant in my left ear. I know my mother and husband would be willing to learn sign language and I could teach it to my children. I just don't know where to start.

Immersion.. Contact the Deaf Services Agency closest to you and ask them to refer you to Deaf events in the area. Then attend them.

immersion is sooo helpful for me, and really is important with ASL - books, no.
contact local or regional deaf center, ASL student-interpreting program, deaf club, Deaf coffee < http://www.deafcoffee.com/> - any of these could have more contacts/resources/help for you to learn.

:wave:oh, hey, Jillio, guess we doubled, you already mentioned the Deaf services agency,:ty:

I would find a Deaf Mentor in your area -- because you are still learning ASL, you probably won't be on the equal footing as others are until you catch up with them. You need someone to show you the ropes. I would contact a nonprofit organization that may have the wording 'Independence Living Resources Center' in it -- they are Deaf advocates and do employ Deaf volunteers that are willing to be Deaf mentors. Or better yet, contact your local university/college's ASL club and go from there.

In my experience, it is very difficult and often traumatizing for the ASL newbies to just jump into any deaf social event without having a way in (Mentor, etc).

There is also a sticky at the top of this section with online resources. Which can help, although I feel in-person learning is the best option if you can find it.

Definitely check out whether there are Deaf socials/coffees near you.

In my experience, it is very difficult and often traumatizing for the ASL newbies to just jump into any deaf social event without having a way in (Mentor, etc).

True, the first time I went, I had a friend with me who also wanted to go. After that, I am fine going by myself when my friend cannot go. And the up-side is that we have made many new friends.

Based on my observation.

I had a bus driver who took ASL classes for four years. She was very rusty. I was partially shocked when she told me she took ASL for four years. She had to pause between many signs to remember better.

I recently met a student who is trying to become an ASL interpreter and has taken ASL classes for 2 years. She is rusty but has wide variety of vocabulary. I told her about silent supper events that we have in the area. After attending several silent suppers, her fluidity greatly improved!

I have a friend who only knew signed alphabet, I started taking him with me to deaf friends, hang outs, silent suppers and so on. He became very fluent and smooth that other deaf people thinks he is deaf. This is just under a year. When I was in deaf high school, there was a student who just lost his hearing from an accident. He knew ZERO signs. End of the year, he was pretty fluent - more than some of the experienced interpreters I know.

In high school I took ASL for easy credit. The teacher has been teaching ASL for 14 years. She is EXTREMELY rusty! She barely could understand me when I was signing at a normal pace. I had to slow down. She never socialized with deaf people.

Socializing is the key.

If I were to learn ASL. I'd feel traumatized, no doubt. A friend or a mentor surely will be helpful! Get one of those first, of course.

Another thing I've just thought of, is that I am having a full length mirror put on the wall near to my desk. That way I can see what my signing looks like as I'm doing it. Right now, I only see from my perspective, and can't see how it'd look to someone else. (though technically since it's a mirror, it'll be backwards...)

I'm hoping that will help with receptive skills as well.

Another thing I've just thought of, is that I am having a full length mirror put on the wall near to my desk. That way I can see what my signing looks like as I'm doing it. Right now, I only see from my perspective, and can't see how it'd look to someone else. (though technically since it's a mirror, it'll be backwards...)

I'm hoping that will help with receptive skills as well.

It was suggested by someone at my deaf club, to video tape with my webcam me signing a conversation and some sentences. They said, if I make up a "script", sign from the script, have someone else critique it, then view the video and see if I can read it back. I have not tried that, as I'm not sure who I would get to critique it for me. I would feel too shy to post it here on AD as that would make it too public and able to be viewed outside of AD, I think.

It was suggested by someone at my deaf club, to video tape with my webcam me signing a conversation and some sentences. They said, if I make up a "script", sign from the script, have someone else critique it, then view the video and see if I can read it back. I have not tried that, as I'm not sure who I would get to critique it for me. I would feel too shy to post it here on AD as that would make it too public and able to be viewed outside of AD, I think.

You can make your videos private where ever you put them, and then make them only viewable by invitation Or viewable by friends only.

Formal education in concert with immersion is probably the best way to learn. Basically you want to put yourself in a situation where you're going to use the language consistently.

Formal education in concert with immersion is probably the best way to learn. Basically you want to put yourself in a situation where you're going to use the language consistently.

Wish I could do both for myself, but not able to at this time. I am trying hard to immerse myself without ignoring my family responsibilities.

Back