What is homework like at Gally?

natty_4ever

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

This might be a weird question, but I just thought of it. Do you have to write papers at Gally or do you do video essays in ASL? This question might even apply to a deaf school in general. What is the homework (and all other work) like in terms of writing or signing?

I'm sure Gally is like mainstream high school, expect that there gonna be lot of deaf annoying you out.

There are few former gally AD'ers here, I'd be interested what their experiences in these homework were like, all I heard or read that the studies there was "too easy"...

Had to write and write and write. We would do oral presentations in class and of course, they were all in ASL.

Wirelessly posted

Interesting, Shel. I was wondering, since I know some Deaf are not totally fluent in English and it's grammar. I wondered how papers and such were worked out? How is all of that graded? I assumed presentations would be done in ASL, since that would be pretty weird if it was done orally or something!

Wirelessly posted

Interesting, Shel. I was wondering, since I know some Deaf are not totally fluent in English and it's grammar. I wondered how papers and such were worked out? How is all of that graded? I assumed presentations would be done in ASL, since that would be pretty weird if it was done orally or something!

At Gallaudet "oral" presentations doesnt necessarily mean using spoken language. It means using ASL.

That's why Gallaudet has the dept called English Works or something like that to help with these issues.

gally homework

Poor shel90. It had to take real courage to admit coming from gally! Lol
As an NTID person we didn't have to do the homework, just as long as we didn't blow up the labs and had the tech skills we aced the classes. Being a techie beats doing oral presentations where your classmates fall asleep.

Wirelessly posted

I'm not sure if some of you misinterpreted my other question about papers! Thanks Shel for her info, and the input from the RIT student.

My other question I basically meant, how do they assign papers knowing that some deafies do not have exceptional English skills? Someone mentioned a department created for a similar purpose. I know Gally is bilingual but I was curious as to how bilingual you really must be. If I did a presentation, I know my ASL would be far from perfect! What are their expectations as far as mastery of each language in the classroom?

this is nothing to laugh about. Gallaudet University is wonderful because it's the deaf college taught by deaf professors. More importantly - it empowers the students that they can do anything on par with hearies.

Many deaf students from all over states do not have proper standardized education. Many were placed in special ed or held back and were given with "revised" high school diploma which is ineligible for any college admission.

At least lot of deafies who graduated from Gally can write better than before they were Gally students.

this is nothing to laugh about. Gallaudet University is wonderful because it's the deaf college taught by deaf professors. More importantly - it empowers the students that they can do anything on par with hearies.

Many deaf students from all over states do not have proper standardized education. Many were placed in special ed or held back and were given with "revised" high school diploma which is ineligible for any college admission.

At least lot of deafies who graduated from Gally can write better than before they were Gally students.

Exactly, I agree with you.

i looked into going for an exchange for a year. You have to write a sample english essay, and if it's not good enough there are summer programs specifically to help improve your english.
*EQL*

Wirelessly posted

I'm not sure if some of you misinterpreted my other question about papers! Thanks Shel for her info, and the input from the RIT student.

My other question I basically meant, how do they assign papers knowing that some deafies do not have exceptional English skills? Someone mentioned a department created for a similar purpose. I know Gally is bilingual but I was curious as to how bilingual you really must be. If I did a presentation, I know my ASL would be far from perfect! What are their expectations as far as mastery of each language in the classroom?

That's why new students must take a placement test in English and Math and if they are weak in those areas, then they have to do their first year taking remedial classes. My brother had to take remedial English before actually becoming a freshman at Gallaudet.

Maybe but not for grad courses or honor undergrad courses nope.

Yup, you are right about Shel went to graduate school, so is my deaf counselor graduated from grad school at Gally and she works with my OCD issues. She said it was alot of works.

That's why new students must take a placement test in English and Math and if they are weak in those areas, then they have to do their first year taking remedial classes. My brother had to take remedial English before actually becoming a freshman at Gallaudet.

That why I took remedial classes at community college before transfer to Gally because it is cheaper to take remedial classes at community college.

I will transfer to Gally in Jan 2011.

That's awesome news, thanks! That's something I wanted to hear.

I was curious because I'm considering transferring to Gally for undergrad, but I'm worried that if my ASL sucks, that my presentations, discussion, etc. will be below everyone else's. I was just curious about how English factored into your grade, it's not really something I'm too concerned with.

Back