What is an easy way to learn sign language?

GrimPanda

Reaction score
Sorry I did not post in the "Introduce Yourself" section yet but I plan on doing so after posting this. I am in 7th grade and there is this girl at my school who is deaf. No students know sign language so they cannot talk to her and it makes me feel bad that during the school day she has no one to talk to. So I was wondering, what is the easiest way to learn sign language? I live in Tennessee if that effects what type of sign language I should learn.

how about start with writing a note to talk to her, and she may shows you how to sign from there. :)

I could lipread when I was her age so maybe she can lipread. Did you or anyone try talking to her? Make sure you face her when you talk to her.

That's great you want to learn sign language. Learn fingerspelling first. There's plenty of online videos/websites on that.

It doesn't matter what state you live in, they all are the same.

There is really not an easy way to learn. It's just like any other language. Learn and use it and continue to learn more and use more. Soon you will be fluent.

I work in a middle school with a lot of mainstreamed deaf students and very few teachers or kids bother to learn ASL. And, as you noted, not having anyone to talk to is very isolating. So, I think it's fantastic that you're so willing to learn ASL!

I think all the previous suggestions are excellent. Start by writing, learn to fingerspell, but best is for her to teach you sign. Learning from a native signer is best.

Try you tube, and watching some of Keith Wann who is a child of deaf parents and some other sign language videos. I agree with writing her a note and maybe get a book out of the library to learn the alphabet is an easy thing to do I was your age when I learned sign abc

Last edited:
Try you tube and watching some of Keith Wann who is a child of death parents and some other sign language video. I agree with writing her a note and maybe get a book out of the library to learn the alphabet is an easy thing to do I was your age when I learned sign abc

auto correct?

GrimPanda, I looked up "Tennessee sign language classes" and I got this link, which has a bunch of links on the page that might be useful to you. I don't know where you are in TN but it has many places that offer sign language classes in different parts of the state

https://tndeaflibrary.nashville.gov/services_filter?tid=70

I would just go up to her and introduce yourself. Have a pen and paper with you. Say something like "Hi, I'm GrimPanda, what's your name" when she responds, either by ASL, voice, or writing it down, you can then say something like "I would like to be your friend, but I don't know ASL. Would you help teach me?" Also, if she's using ASL, does she have an interpreter, someone who is in the class and signs to her what the teacher is saying? If so, you can introduce yourself to her when the interpreter is there, and it can make it easier for her to understand you.

Back