What is a polite way to get a deaf/hoh person's attention?

Holly

Reaction score
What is a polite way to get a deaf/hoh person's attention? Especially if you are in a crowded room? Obviously I wouldn't be throwing anything at them or stomping on the ground (especially in a public place). Is it polite to get somewhere in their line of vision and just wave your hand? or put your hand on their shoulder? what is ok?
I ask because there are a few deaf people at my church who I know and have spoken to before but there weren't many people around or between us. At church I am always afraid of offending them accidentally.

Maybe I'm just too worried about it haha!
:ty: in advance for answers!

Tapping on their shoulder.

Or try to wave to get their visuality.

That's all I can think of.

This may have been discussed at another time in AllDeaf. If so, we have Repost Rangers who will bring it to the attention of the Merge Mercenaries (of which I'm one).

Until then, a normal, friendly wave is almost always a polite attention-getter, but looking like you're flapping wings for a take-off isn't too cool, ha ha ha.

I'm never offended by a soft touch on my arm or shoulder. A rough jab or inappropriate touch pretty much depends on who's doing the touching. For instance, Jennifer Love Hewett could poke me anyplace and get a big grin.

Until then, a normal, friendly wave is almost always a polite attention-getter, but looking like you're flapping wings for a take-off isn't too cool, ha ha ha.

I'm never offended by a soft touch on my arm or shoulder. A rough jab or inappropriate touch pretty much depends on who's doing the touching. For instance, Jennifer Love Hewett could poke me anyplace and get a big grin.

:lol: :lol:

I agree with Puyo & Chase ... that's about the only two gestures that I normally do with deaf people or vice versa.

i've heard slapping them hard in the face works pretty well

give that a try and let us know how it went....

;)

That's pretty much how audists go about it, but in polite society -- you know, non-psychopathic -- the hard slap is usually counterproductive.

This may have been discussed at another time in AllDeaf. If so, we have Repost Rangers who will bring it to the attention of the Merge Mercenaries (of which I'm one).

Sorry if it is a repost, I tried to search for this topic but didn't come up with anything.

Tapping on their shoulder.
Yes, when I first went off to college, I had to train everyone to tap me on the shoulder....I remember how surprised I was, one time being on the computers and feeling a tap on my shoulder....Turned out to be someone I knew who was visiting my college...

Flicking the lights...however at church, I am not sure if that would be appropriate. It sure would get everyone's, even God's attention! :giggle:

Flicking the lights...however at church, I am not sure if that would be appropriate. It sure would get everyone's, even God's attention! :giggle:

Haha, yes flicking the lights at church would definitely draw some attention:giggle:

That's pretty much how audists go about it, but in polite society -- you know, non-psychopathic -- the hard slap is usually counterproductive.

The audists are known for face slaps in both a literal and a figurative sense.:giggle: They have also been known to use the opushing and shoving technique, and when that doesn't work, full body tackle.:giggle:

Personally I like walking up to one of my students who's gabbing away and standing right in front of him until he stops and turns around and gets the crap scared out of him due to my "suddenly" being there. However this is more of a "will the classroom please STFU so I can continue teaching" technique than a polite method. ;)

People look at me like they are flaging down a cab.

give that a try and let us know how it went....

;)

Slap a deaf person!! :ugh2: Good IDEA! If you want to be slapped back! or worse get your ass kicked. :giggle:

Yeah. Most people flap their arms at me like they are getting ready for take off. A few just scream their heads off until they get my attention, which is usually drawn by an unusual red face beaming. Had some that were brave enough to just kindly tap my shoulders.

statistically, the most proven, fail-safe methods of garnering attention are the "zap 'em with a cattle prod" and "shoot 'em with a 250,000 volt stun gun" techniques. however, these methods have waned in recent years after studies showed that the users of such devices were marginally more likely to acquire erectile dysfunction and/or enlarged prostate with age. protests by the deaf community over being inhumanely beat and electrocuted like animals were largely ignored for decades, as Deaf Prods and Deaf Stun Gun sales soared in Wal-marts the entire nation over, where consumers could purchase the devices for the low, low Rolled-Back(tm) price of $14.88.

Back