What have you done for your apd (auditory processing disorder)?

Here's one. I'll have to track down the other I was thinking of when I remember the doctors name.

Donna R. Moore, B.S. 2015 done for requirements for the Degree Doctor of Audiology

https://kb.osu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/1811/72352/AUD_capstone_Moore2015.pdf?sequence=1

The purpose of the present study was to investigate the effect of mild gain hearing aids with
directional microphones and noise reduction in adults with auditory processing difficulties.

A very interesting read. Thank you for digging it up! I'm still reading the article but it is comforting to see myself described so accurately. The only major difference is that it didn't appear to affect my school work until about grade 9 or so when it became really difficult for me. I still excelled because I knew I would have to work 10x harder than anybody else just to get the same marks...so I did. Given my extreme social withdrawal, I had the extra time. Once I started working, I always had the constant feeling that I was going to drop the ball. Eventually I could no longer function in my chosen career and I struggle to find something I could be good at, given my APD, hearing loss and poor memory.

Keep in mind that APD (and CAPD) isn't actually hearing loss. It causes many of the same issues, but it's not actually the same thing.
Absolutely not the same thing. However one exacerbates the other if you have both. Hearing loss for me is apparently due to damage to the auditory nerve. APD for me is a cognitive/comprehension issue. Without hearing aids, I pretty much don't hear anything other than garbled noise. With hearing aids I sometimes have that problem, or I have the opposite - I hear too much all at once and it is too much to process.

A very interesting read. Thank you for digging it up! I'm still reading the article but it is comforting to see myself described so accurately. The only major difference is that it didn't appear to affect my school work until about grade 9 or so when it became really difficult for me. I still excelled because I knew I would have to work 10x harder than anybody else just to get the same marks...so I did. Given my extreme social withdrawal, I had the extra time. Once I started working, I always had the constant feeling that I was going to drop the ball. Eventually I could no longer function in my chosen career and I struggle to find something I could be good at, given my APD, hearing loss and poor memory.

I certainly understand the social withdrawal. Especially when most people socialize at parties, pubs and restaurants. Look around for hobby clubs that might interest you. I find they tend to be smaller, quieter and more organized. They also tend to only gather for an hour or two so you're less likely to reach your mental limit.

As far as work I find that I need to have a job that gives me a project I can go work on by myself. Especially one that has the project details written down. I have the memory problem too but it is pretty much just auditory memory. My visual memory is above average. If you haven't explored jobs that are mostly visual you might want to check them out.

I certainly understand the social withdrawal. Especially when most people socialize at parties, pubs and restaurants. Look around for hobby clubs that might interest you. I find they tend to be smaller, quieter and more organized. They also tend to only gather for an hour or two so you're less likely to reach your mental limit.

As far as work I find that I need to have a job that gives me a project I can go work on by myself. Especially one that has the project details written down. I have the memory problem too but it is pretty much just auditory memory. My visual memory is above average. If you haven't explored jobs that are mostly visual you might want to check them out.
Thanks. Some good ideas here. I kind of gave up on hobbies since I keep getting injured. Perhaps I need to be more creative and also pay better attention to my physical limitations.

Absolutely not the same thing. However one exacerbates the other if you have both. Hearing loss for me is apparently due to damage to the auditory nerve. APD for me is a cognitive/comprehension issue. Without hearing aids, I pretty much don't hear anything other than garbled noise. With hearing aids I sometimes have that problem, or I have the opposite - I hear too much all at once and it is too much to process.

I know. Read my sig ;)

Anij - are you around? After having a second test for APD <first audi failed to find anything and sent me home; I was pretty upset> by an audi who specializes in it, she diagnosed it. Wanted to chat with you :)

Back