What does T Mobile think of YOU?

OpheliaSpeaks

Reaction score
I am cross-posting this from another forum. Do you have T Mobile? If yes, have you had trouble talking to customer service? A deaf friend tried to call customer service using i711 and the rep said "You must use TTY".

Anyone try to use the customer support chat if you have a screen reader or are d/b? Was it accessible to you?

Here is a transcript my hearing friend had with T Mobile. She explained the situation and they said she had to write to the legal department.

~~~~~~~

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
You are currently at position number 43 in the queue.
You have been connected to ~Aaron R.
~Aaron R: Hello and thank you for contacting T-Mobile chat. My name is Aaron(my rep ID is 1520562). Please allow me two moments to review your question.
~Aaron R: How are you doing today, Kirsten?
Kirsten Richards: I'm fine.
Kirsten Richards: Is there a way for my friend ot contact customer service?
~Aaron R: We definitely want to ensure that your friend is able to contact our Customer Service department and I will definitely assist you with this.
Kirsten Richards: Thanks so much.
~Aaron R: You are welcome. What are your friends questions please?
Kirsten Richards: customer service refuses to accept relay calls. How is she to get ahold of them?
~Aaron R: I am a Customer Service representative, I may be able to answer your friends questions.
Kirsten Richards: Deaf man , who is not technologically inclinded, asks deaf/blind girl who is technically inclined what to do int this situation.
Kirsten Richards: Deaf/blind girl, who cannot use chat because it is not accessible, askes TBI disabled person what to do.
Kirsten Richards: I have no idea what the original person's questions were.
Kirsten Richards: My task is to figure out how to connect them with customer service.
~Aaron R: I certainly understand. Your friend can contact us through this chat service and we would be more than happy to assist them with their questions.
Kirsten Richards: She is deaf/blind. This service is not accessible to her.
Kirsten Richards: Like the man, she is also a Tmobile customer.
Kirsten Richards: The blind use special software called a text reader to read what is said on the internet.
Kirsten Richards: It doesn't work with most chat software.
Kirsten Richards: Talking by email can take a great deal of time, what with emails back and forth.
Kirsten Richards: The ideal solution is relay chat. It is a service by which the deaf or deaf/blind customer texts a relay operator who then calls customer service.
Kirsten Richards: The operator reads what the disabled customer has typed and types back any response by the non-disabled person on the other end of the line.
Kirsten Richards: But customer service refuses to accept relay calls.
~Aaron R: I certainly understand and I apologize that our Customer Care department is unable to take the relay call. I regret that your friend would need to visit their local T-Mobile store with an interpreter. I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, Kirsten.
Kirsten Richards: This is a violation of the ADA.
Kirsten Richards: How do I contact your legal department?
~Aaron R: I certainly understand your frustration, please allow me two moments to locate the address for our Legal department.
Kirsten Richards: (it isn't a matter of being unable, but unwilling)
Kirsten Richards: All the customer service person has to do is speak normally. No special equipment is needed on your end.
~Aaron R: You can send a letter to our Legal department at T-Mobile Wireless, Legal Department, 12920 SE 38th Street, Bellevue, WA 98006-1350.
Kirsten Richards: I'll send them a transcript of this conversation as well.
Kirsten Richards: and inform my friends in the disabled community that Tmobile is not interested in providing them with customer service that is equal to what they provide non-disabled customers.
Kirsten Richards: Would you care to bump me to a supervisor instead?
~Aaron R: I can certainly transfer you to my supervisor if you like. Please allow me two moments to locate a supervisor for you, Kirsten.
Kirsten Richards: Thank you.
~Aaron R: You are welcome. I am transferring you to my supervisor now. Have a great day.
Kirsten Richards: Thanks again.
~Bill G has entered the session.
~Aaron R: You are welcome.
~Bill G: Hi Kirsten, my name is Bill G and I am a supervisor here at T-Mobile
Kirsten Richards: I am a person with a disability, advocating for others with disabilities who are being denied access to customer service.
~Aaron R has left the session.
Kirsten Richards: My associates are deaf, one is deaf/blind.
Kirsten Richards: Customer service refuses to accept relay calls so that they may communicate with customer service.
Kirsten Richards: They insist that they either use TTY (which neither has access to, as it is antiquated equipment),
Kirsten Richards: or present themselves at a store in person, with an interpreter in tow.
Kirsten Richards: This is a very clear violation of the ADA.
Kirsten Richards: So how are we going to fix this?
~Bill G: I would have to recommend you contact our legal department.
Kirsten Richards: Can I speak to them through this chat?
~Bill G: You can send a letter to our Legal department at T-Mobile Wireless, Legal Department, 12920 SE 38th Street, Bellevue, WA 98006-1350.
~Bill G: No I am sorry. Mail is the only way of communication.
Kirsten Richards: AS you wish then. I will notify the 700+ members of our disability online communnity that Tmobile is not interested in them as customers.
Kirsten Richards: Look for this transcript to be posted on servicedogcentral.org

I can handle almost everything on the internet, plus they sent a nice email about the recent problems and what they will do for us.

Anything not handled that way we go in. It is never a problem for us.

Oh really? I don't have problem with call the customer service from Verizon and att.

Sprint got on my nerve so never bother to call again.

Technically, TMobile told my friend they do not accept relay calls. So if the deaf or deaf/blind customer needed customer service and the chat online was not accessible, they need to get a terp and go into the TMobile store.

Have you tried Nexalk.net TTY to contact businesses?

Personally I prefer contacting the reps through their special toll-free number for TTY users.

Yes. I have NexTalk.

The point is their chat is inaccessible. They cannot refuse a relay call just because they have TTY. And they certainly cannot say "She'll have to come to a store with her own interpreter" !

What do you mean they don't accept relay calls? I do it all of the time. Is this only a deaf-blind issue?

I have always called Tmobile using VRS..no problems.

I have always called T-mobile through the relay service and never had a problem. So I dunno why your friends did. :dunno:

I have called T-mobiles several times and never had any issues using relay. I always have my courtesy and professional manner. The recent outage is not their fault and they are nice to give a month free service for all sidekick users on their expense.

Since they have a lot of deaf customers for the sidekick, they should have been aware of the relay service. Perhaps they should put up in a bulletin for all T-mobile store in case deaf customer calls to inquire or concerns. :dunno:

Yea, I used on state relay to contact Tmo customer service to report outages and etc.. Do you remmy that bridge collapsed in few years ago? My local relay service went out of service (rapid tones sound like "Out of service), then I use ATT Relay and succesfully got an relay operator to call Tmo customer service.. It's happened on my cellphone went down after the bridge collapsed and headed back to home to call Tmo..

Anyway, yes the Tmo is violated for accessibility to blind users,, Target's website much better after a lawsuit.. Tmo should know better for more accesibility to the disabled ppls on the web sites..

This has nothing to do with Tmobile. Nextalk or relay service you're talking about is the problem.

This has nothing to do with Tmobile. Nextalk or relay service you're talking about is the problem.

Why in the world do you say so? Being told you can't make a relay call by T-Mobile definitely involves T-Mobile.

That said they really did give the free month of data off my husband's bill.

And I am going back to T-Mobile when my ATT contract expires.

Ummm, yes it does. Not having access to the chat has to do with T Mobile. Being told to get your own terp and go down to a store has to do with T Mobile too.

Ummm, yes it does. Not having access to the chat has to do with T Mobile. Being told to get your own terp and go down to a store has to do with T Mobile too.

Sound like they're discriminating against you. They are not suppose to force you to use TTY. They got to understand that Deafie now are using VideoPhones for Relay service. Too many business including jobs that Deafie holds still think Deafie still use TTY. Technology have changed in past several years when VideoPhone became commonplace at their homes. We're 5 years ahead of hearing people (heh!!). Hearing people's "mind" are 5 years behind!! :rofl:

I did use VP relay service when I called Tmobile. I never had issue with them.

What you need to do is to contact Tmobile's supervisor and explain to them that you no longer use TTY. They need to update their policy. Also if they did have TTY number for Tmobile customer service, Tell them that you don't use antiquated TTY machine anymore. (I never use Tmobile TTY number cuz they always hangs up or answers but left me hanging there too long. So I use voice number through Relay service which are responsive)

Catty

To be fair, most of the TTY users don't know ASL. So hearing people are not "5 years" behind if most of the deaf population are not culturally Deaf and are dependent on TTYs and e-mails.

Either way, T-Mobile got a reputation for being deaf-friendly... why wouldn't they accept non-TTY relays?

I am cross-posting this from another forum. Do you have T Mobile? If yes, have you had trouble talking to customer service? A deaf friend tried to call customer service using i711 and the rep said "You must use TTY".

Anyone try to use the customer support chat if you have a screen reader or are d/b? Was it accessible to you?

Here is a transcript my hearing friend had with T Mobile. She explained the situation and they said she had to write to the legal department.

~~~~~~~

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
All agents are currently busy. Please stand by.
You are currently at position number 43 in the queue.
You have been connected to ~Aaron R.
~Aaron R: Hello and thank you for contacting T-Mobile chat. My name is Aaron(my rep ID is 1520562). Please allow me two moments to review your question.
~Aaron R: How are you doing today, Kirsten?
Kirsten Richards: I'm fine.
Kirsten Richards: Is there a way for my friend ot contact customer service?
~Aaron R: We definitely want to ensure that your friend is able to contact our Customer Service department and I will definitely assist you with this.
Kirsten Richards: Thanks so much.
~Aaron R: You are welcome. What are your friends questions please?
Kirsten Richards: customer service refuses to accept relay calls. How is she to get ahold of them?
~Aaron R: I am a Customer Service representative, I may be able to answer your friends questions.
Kirsten Richards: Deaf man , who is not technologically inclinded, asks deaf/blind girl who is technically inclined what to do int this situation.
Kirsten Richards: Deaf/blind girl, who cannot use chat because it is not accessible, askes TBI disabled person what to do.
Kirsten Richards: I have no idea what the original person's questions were.
Kirsten Richards: My task is to figure out how to connect them with customer service.
~Aaron R: I certainly understand. Your friend can contact us through this chat service and we would be more than happy to assist them with their questions.
Kirsten Richards: She is deaf/blind. This service is not accessible to her.
Kirsten Richards: Like the man, she is also a Tmobile customer.
Kirsten Richards: The blind use special software called a text reader to read what is said on the internet.
Kirsten Richards: It doesn't work with most chat software.
Kirsten Richards: Talking by email can take a great deal of time, what with emails back and forth.
Kirsten Richards: The ideal solution is relay chat. It is a service by which the deaf or deaf/blind customer texts a relay operator who then calls customer service.
Kirsten Richards: The operator reads what the disabled customer has typed and types back any response by the non-disabled person on the other end of the line.
Kirsten Richards: But customer service refuses to accept relay calls.
~Aaron R: I certainly understand and I apologize that our Customer Care department is unable to take the relay call. I regret that your friend would need to visit their local T-Mobile store with an interpreter. I do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, Kirsten.
Kirsten Richards: This is a violation of the ADA.
Kirsten Richards: How do I contact your legal department?
~Aaron R: I certainly understand your frustration, please allow me two moments to locate the address for our Legal department.
Kirsten Richards: (it isn't a matter of being unable, but unwilling)
Kirsten Richards: All the customer service person has to do is speak normally. No special equipment is needed on your end.
~Aaron R: You can send a letter to our Legal department at T-Mobile Wireless, Legal Department, 12920 SE 38th Street, Bellevue, WA 98006-1350.
Kirsten Richards: I'll send them a transcript of this conversation as well.
Kirsten Richards: and inform my friends in the disabled community that Tmobile is not interested in providing them with customer service that is equal to what they provide non-disabled customers.
Kirsten Richards: Would you care to bump me to a supervisor instead?
~Aaron R: I can certainly transfer you to my supervisor if you like. Please allow me two moments to locate a supervisor for you, Kirsten.
Kirsten Richards: Thank you.
~Aaron R: You are welcome. I am transferring you to my supervisor now. Have a great day.
Kirsten Richards: Thanks again.
~Bill G has entered the session.
~Aaron R: You are welcome.
~Bill G: Hi Kirsten, my name is Bill G and I am a supervisor here at T-Mobile
Kirsten Richards: I am a person with a disability, advocating for others with disabilities who are being denied access to customer service.
~Aaron R has left the session.
Kirsten Richards: My associates are deaf, one is deaf/blind.
Kirsten Richards: Customer service refuses to accept relay calls so that they may communicate with customer service.
Kirsten Richards: They insist that they either use TTY (which neither has access to, as it is antiquated equipment),
Kirsten Richards: or present themselves at a store in person, with an interpreter in tow.
Kirsten Richards: This is a very clear violation of the ADA.
Kirsten Richards: So how are we going to fix this?
~Bill G: I would have to recommend you contact our legal department.
Kirsten Richards: Can I speak to them through this chat?
~Bill G: You can send a letter to our Legal department at T-Mobile Wireless, Legal Department, 12920 SE 38th Street, Bellevue, WA 98006-1350.
~Bill G: No I am sorry. Mail is the only way of communication.
Kirsten Richards: AS you wish then. I will notify the 700+ members of our disability online communnity that Tmobile is not interested in them as customers.
Kirsten Richards: Look for this transcript to be posted on servicedogcentral.org
in Jan.2011 Obama passed a new American With Disabilities ACT , all you have to do is file a free informal complaint FCC complaint

Disability Rights Office Homepage

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/informalcomplaint.pdf

Telecommunications Relay Services | FCC.gov

Telecommunications Relay Services and Speech-to-Speech Services for Individuals with Hearing and Speech Disabilities; E911 Requirements for IP-Enabled Providers | FCC.gov

I don't think telling some poor minimum wage worker that their company is in violation of the ADA is going to accomplish. As a matter of fact the supervisor wasn't all that concerned either. Both gave you the address of the legal dept. Giving the person at the bottom of the totem pole accomplishes nothing. They just do as they're told. But they were very polite.

Back