What does email mean to hearing people?

Karen Yip

Reaction score
Hi! I am Karen Yip, who is from Hong Kong. I am Deaf. I am studying for BS of Bio and Chem in a university by online.

My English is not good. But I am trying to write.
Email is important to Deaf in wide field such as education, business, and other activities. My primary school teacher told me that most hearing people are used to have email as long-distance communication. But, since I didn't get my university teacher's replies by email, I doubt that in Hong Kong, email is not preferable by hearing people. In your country, did you go through it?
1. There are no science-related sign language interpreters so Hong Kong Deaf students must learn by theirselves, ask teachers of their universities or their own private tutors.
2. I have already quitted once a higher education school. During studying for higher diploma of biotechnology, I didn't understand something about biotech even if I have attended classes and have read some textbooks. So, I asked teachers by email. All of they said "Come to my office, give me date and time." I tried to see them but it didn't work. I asked one, "why did you not give answers by email?" he said, "I can't explain it clear by email. I like to see students and teach them." Until to my cochlear external hardware was broken, I quitted.
3. Online undergraduate course may be easy to Deaf but in fact not easy. I required teachers offer phone text service but they said no. We own university email addresses so in theoretically we can communicate each other by email. In past two year, I realized that teacher just give a reply for questions that it should be in contents edited by the course developers. If I asked some other questions related to Bio and Chem but not edited in the course contents, they would ignore the emails. No one "sorry" email.
4. During summer, a chemistry course is run for two terms that contain summer break. I asked the teacher about her leave. She told me still at work, no leave. I re-asked her can I ask you some questions by email, she said yes. In June, she made some replies for my chem questions but in July, she didn't do it so I asked annual leave or sick leave? she told me no leave just don't adapt "work for home" environment. Now, she still didn't give any one reply to me.

I don't know how to study good if I have questions and can't get it by google or textbook. Do you have using email to asking teachers the habit? And are your teachers willing to tell you by email? How many times? Only during the period that start yourself learning? Or after they completed classes?

Email is probably the preferred method of communication with professors here in the US. Especially right now.

I'm sorry to hear you've had difficulties obtaining your education due to lack of access. Have you tried online courses where emails would be the norm?

Good luck!

Email is probably the preferred method of communication with professors here in the US. Especially right now.

I'm sorry to hear you've had difficulties obtaining your education due to lack of access. Have you tried online courses where emails would be the norm?

Good luck!
norm? you means formal? In the first time, I will introduce myself and take formal. After some completed emails, I don't make it formal because I like "high-speed" so I often don't write beginning and end.
Can you tell me what is "norm"? Thx.

norm? you means formal? In the first time, I will introduce myself and take formal. After some completed emails, I don't make it formal because I like "high-speed" so I often don't write beginning and end.
Can you tell me what is "norm"? Thx.

norm
  1. 1.
    something that is usual, typical, or standard
Norm as in normal. The normative practice or expected norm. In an online program; the "norm" would mean corresponding by email.

Hope this helps :)

norm
  1. 1.
    something that is usual, typical, or standard
Norm as in normal. The normative practice or expected norm. In an online program; the "norm" would mean corresponding by email.

Hope this helps :)
Yes, in the past two years, some teachers picked few emails making replies to me. If I think some email I still need replies, I will re-ask them.
but may be the reason of summer break. Even if the course don't be completed, teachers work for "planing"-liked something, no teaching. Sigh

Sounds challenging! Do you have any tutors available or anyone that can help you at your university? Or maybe something online that can help you as well? Or your classmates? Do you have any other Deaf buddies or deaf group or deaf support that knows your subject? Tutoring center? Disabled office counselor to give your advice on what to do?

I think it is possible that some teacher's email system might be so overwhelm that is is impossible for them to help out that way. Maybe you could explain to your teachers that you want to communicate by email maybe have a special unique email or instant messaging for the both of you? Or if you're meeting in person that the teacher type up his thoughts on the computer screen? Or ask the teacher to provide you a tutor?

I remember I took biology class and that was hard even with an ASL interpreter, there was so much science terminology (long words!). My intepreter and I had to invent some signs so stop fingerspelling everything. I had to have an tutor to help me and it did helped but it was still hard though. For me it was best in person and of course lots of notes and reading.

I wish you the best in your studies

Back