what do you like about hearing culture?

Hearing culture is constantly telling little white lies because other hearies can't handle the truth.

Since when is "hearing culture" an"entity" capable of telling white lies?

Coversely does "deaf culture" does now react likewise?

A person can but that as such is not "culture"

Has anyone duly "informed" textbooks in Sociology a new segment to be incorporated?

Since when is "hearing culture" an"entity" capable of telling white lies?

Coversely does "deaf culture" does now react likewise?

A person can but that as such is not "culture"

Has anyone duly "informed" textbooks in Sociology a new segment to be incorporated?

that's were YOU have to LIVE into it, LIVE thru it, only through that experience as a conduit that then you can experience what ever it was

I don't have to live with such a"mythical hypothesis". Nor do I expect such to actualize in the future.

Back to Sociology-parameters- specific limit.

I'm going to answer this question without reading other people's answers...music and idioms.

Drphil when you capitalize deaf in your post what do mean by it?

And is american sign language a language?

If so. How can a full real living language have no culture along with it?
If asl is not a language then maybe u have a point in refusing to accept the existance of a culture contrary to those who insist they have and posses such a clture.
If it is a language then why woulndt it shsre what all languages have a culture?

My utilization of the word DEAF is to indicate it is my condition not a "culture".

aside: I am aware in "culture" one wants to have a binary situation: "hearing" and "deaf" even though one may have a "slight lost" of say 10 decibels. Classfied as "deaf" even though uses a hearing aid does "assist in hearing".

Does this suggest? perhaps an inflation of numbers of persons who don't hear at all?

I have been aware of the intermural exercise for a long time-who is "really deaf"?

Not up to me to decide if ANY sign communication is a "language" within Lingusitic classifications. It has been so indicated over the last couple of hundred years -

though of course-"unspoken"

Oh well one can argue that language-English-does seem to be used in different "cultures:-Canada/United States/United Kingdom/New Zealand/Australia etc which negates the proposition-apparently.

More discussion in Sociology- who is really deaf?

yah, and i talked to many hearing people, many of them just go with the beats too, it's the actual 'colour'.flavour' of the beats that goes with time which seems to be acceptable and MOST of them have admitted to me, they don't even know what they're singing about or what is said.......

so given that.....the how far we can say what is hearing culture, or 'chronologically-deemed' fashion as popular culture to over arch everything in the media consumption that substitute as social norm or social hype...

put other way...question of how far , to what degree are deafness in attitudes are influence directly or indirectly to music culture (where hearing culture are paramount in that realm).

I think that's just because most modern singers don't enunciate very well, so you need to look up lyrics to understand anything. I listen to a lot of old music, so lyrics actually matter to me.

We are direct. Straight from point A to B. No beating around the bush!

We point. We point when we talk or sign. We point to use as pronouns and even when I talk I point! When I say 'you' I point. When I say 'he', I poiint at the guy. Hearing people don't do that and they consider it rude. So I'm rude to them. *shrug*

We gesticulate all over the place. We can't keep our hands to ourselves lol!

That's our world.

Now what do I like about hearing culture? I dunno. Hearing effortlessly is their world I suppose. Everything they do is based on sounds. They can't stand silence. Absolute silence scares them. It seems like the first thing they do when they wake up is to turn on a radio or tv. So in conclusion I would say the proliferation of easily accessible sounds and their ability to process them smoothly and effortlessly are part of their world and their culture.

So I guess what I like about their world is...I really don't know other than maybe their ability to hear beautiful sounds without any distortion, effort or energy.

Presumably the above "applies" if a person uses ASL et al to communicate in a "voice off" manner. Whether the other party understands-contingent on response.

It would appear that persons with Cochlear Implants-though DEAF don't utilize mannerism on a continuing basis.

The content of speaking usually is relevant in one's response.

Of course one has to interact in a wide range to what one "hears".

How many people actually consider "hearing" a culture is an ongoing discussion in Sociology. From my multiple interactions over the years- not very many.

aside: bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

wpid-funny-gif-dancing-bunny-rabbit1.gif

Well....basically, I like 'em all...big...fat....tall...I chat with 'em all....

lets get back on topic, but yeah whatever you want to say or explore the curiosities of what is hearing culture , please add!

i like your post Sheri...

Calvero, this is interesting...so like it sort of disspell the myths that all or most hearies actually 'hears music' but just chung along with the fashionable 'beats' without really know what its going on, or what's its about , like persuasion to a sort of "me me or judge what better for me' attitudes based on myths or greed or lust or sore egos or whatever?? or imagery of the demon world as would be in 'heavy metal' music or riding a imaginary Harley Davidson or singing about imaginary hot date...or what-have-they-sang-about that kind of thing but often times it is NOT compatible with their real-life ideals of how they do things but left as 'fantastic music' and in the heads...deafies similar? attitudes and dress to be punks, or gangsta or posh, or sporty or beachy, or muscles ??!

lets get back on topic, but yeah whatever you want to say or explore the curiosities of what is hearing culture , please add!

i like your post Sheri...

Calvero, this is interesting...so like it sort of disspell the myths that all or most hearies actually 'hears music' but just chung along with the fashionable 'beats' without really know what its going on, or what's its about , like persuasion to a sort of "me me or judge what better for me' attitudes based on myths or greed or lust or sore egos or whatever?? or imagery of the demon world as would be in 'heavy metal' music or riding a imaginary Harley Davidson or singing about imaginary hot date...or what-have-they-sang-about that kind of thing but often times it is NOT compatible with their real-life ideals of how they do things but left as 'fantastic music' and in the heads...deafies similar? attitudes and dress to be punks, or gangsta or posh, or sporty or beachy, or muscles ??!

Surprisingly, the less someone listens to music the more likely they are to actually pay attention. We have music around us for most of the time we are awake, so after a while the melody is drowned out and all that is left is the beat. Other than Broadway fans, most hearies probably don't even realize they aren't listening to the lyrics. I didn't realize until I looked up the lyrics of some of the songs I liked and realized how stupid the lyrics were.

or to quote Leonard Bernstein,

"I didn't say we listen too much; I said we hear too much. There's a big difference between listening--which is an active experience, participating in the music, riding with it up and down and in and out of its involvements and evolvements--and just hearing which is completely passive. That's what we've got too much of--the eternal radio and TV set, this cursed Muzak, plaguing us from coast to coast, in jets and trains and depots and restaurants and elevators and barbershops. We get music from all sides, music we can't listen to, only hear. It becomes a national addiction; and music therefore becomes undifferentiated. We reach a saturation point; our concentration is diminished, our ears are too tired for real listening. That's one trouble." - The Infinite Variety of Music

Back