What do you guys think about CASE??

R

rockdrummer

What are your thoughts on this CASE?

What are the Benefits of This Option?

Children learn the language of their environment when they perceive it clearly. Use of an English-based sign system provides them with access to English during the language learning years. Such a sign system is also useful with older students who have not yet mastered English, when used with a second language learning approach. As with any language, the fluency of the child will depend on the fluency of the language models in his/her environment. When fluent and complete models are consistently available, English can be learned in a normal manner. This is a critical point for English-based sign systems, since English literacy has been and remains very important and very difficult for many individuals who are deaf.
What are the Limitations of this Option?

Because English-based sign systems do differ from ASL in grammar and in the use of English markers, some Deaf adults do not like them. They feel it is an attempt by hearing persons to impose hearing standards on children who are deaf. In addition, because speech is faster than signs, an individual must be committed to presenting complete English in signs and to make the effort to learn and become fluent. Persons who are not wholly committed may end up signing only part of their spoken message, presenting incomplete English that does not fit ASL syntax either. What are some questions to ask before choosing this option?
Do I believe in the importance of presenting complete English? Am I willing to take the time to become fluent? What is used in the schools in the area where I live? What materials are available to help me learn? How will I react if I meet negative attitudes from deaf adults? How will I ensure the child's involvement with the Deaf community and his/her self-esteem as a person who is deaf?
Source:Educating Children Who Are Deaf of Hard of Hearing: English-Based Sign Systems
Conceptually Accurate Signed English (CASE)
CASE, one of the more recently developed forms of MCE, combines the grammatical structure used in Signed English with the use of concepts rather than words, as is done in ASL. It is becoming one of the more common forms of MCE, and has been used in both interpreter training programs and mainstreamed deaf education. The term Sign Supported English (SSE) is sometimes used to refer to the same thing.
Source: Manually Coded English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conceptually Accurate Signed English (CASE) — sometimes called Pidgin Signed English (PSE) — is a building block that has developed between people who use American Sign Language (ASL), and people who use Manually Coded English (MCE), using signs based on ASL and MCE. This helps them understand each other better.

In CASE, American Sign Language (ASL) and Manually Coded English (MCE) are blended together. CASE is flexible, and can be changed depending on the people using it.

Other building blocks can be used with CASE. Often, finger spelling is used in combination with CASE. Finger spelling is used to spell out words that don't have a sign — such as names of people and places.
Source:Building Languages: Conceptually Accurate Signed English

Conceptually Accurate Signs: This topic, "conceptually accurate signs" is important for students to understand. Students are learning ASL as a second language. For most ASL students, English is their first language. There is not a one-to-one match between English and ASL (Newell, 1983). Students need to be careful not to let their first language intrude upon their second language. [Reference: Newell, W., & National Technical Institute for the Deaf. (1983). Basic sign communication. Silver Spring, Md: National Association of the Deaf.]

Suppose you recently watched an inspiring movie and you wanted to sign, "I was really moved by the main character's death scene." You should choose your signs according to what you mean rather than finding the English word in an ASL vocabulary list and then signing that ASL sign. For example, consider the word "move" in the sentence above. If you go to a typical ASL vocabulary list and find the word "MOVE" and use that sign in your sentence you will have missed the concept. The sign "MOVE" expresses the concept of "picking something up changing its location, and then setting it down again." It also means "relocate to a new house." But it doesn't mean inspire. We use a different sign for inspire.

A related term is "Conceptually Accurate Signed English (CASE)." The idea here is that you use English syntax (word order) and the ASL signs that depict the concepts you are talking about. If you were talking about a "butterfly" you would not sign "butter" and "fly" but you'd use the ASL sign for "BUTTERFLY." Conceptually Accurate Signed English is similar to "contact signing" except that when using CASE you also add Signed English prefixes and suffixes, use initialization more heavily, mouth English, and use specific English signs when there is no equivalent ASL sign.
Source: American Sign Language (ASL)

Far too cumbersome as a communication method, and again, attempting to put a visual to a syntax that is meant to be processed auditority. Confusing linquistic systems.

Far too cumbersome as a communication method, and again, attempting to put a visual to a syntax that is meant to be processed auditority. Confusing linquistic systems.
so you don't see any benefit to this? Even as a method of helping teach English.

so you don't see any benefit to this? Even as a method of helping teach English.

Would you accept taking English and changing it to follow ASL syntax in the spoken form? It just doesnt work.

No benefit here either??

Conceptually Accurate Signed English (CASE) — sometimes called Pidgin Signed English (PSE) — is a building block that has developed between people who use American Sign Language (ASL), and people who use Manually Coded English (MCE), using signs based on ASL and MCE. This helps them understand each other better.

In CASE, American Sign Language (ASL) and Manually Coded English (MCE) are blended together. CASE is flexible, and can be changed depending on the people using it.

Other building blocks can be used with CASE. Often, finger spelling is used in combination with CASE. Finger spelling is used to spell out words that don't have a sign — such as names of people and places.
Source: Building Languages: Conceptually Accurate Signed English

I found the entire article which has some further information and may provide additional insight.

Educating Children Who Are Deaf of Hard of Hearing: English-Based Sign Systems
by Gerilee Gustason

Source: Educational Resource Information Center (U.S. Department of Education)
Topics: Middle Years (5-9), Hearing Health and Disorders, more...
Sign language as used by deaf adults may resemble English, or it may be American Sign Language (ASL), which has a grammar, syntax, and idioms distinct from English. ASL is sometimes called a natural language because it evolved through use by people who were deaf. In contrast, English-based sign systems were developed by educators. These systems adopted much of the vocabulary of ASL but added grammatical features of English such as articles (a, an, the), verb endings (-s, -ing, -ed, -en), and other markers of English. English-based sign systems follow English syntax. In some systems English words are presented literally (e.g., one sign is used for the word "run" no matter what the meaning). In other systems the signs for English words may vary depending on the meaning of the word, to more closely relate to ASL.

One such system that remains close to ASL is Signed English (Bornstein, Hamilton, & Saulnier, 1983). This system is aimed at preschool and lower elementary children and includes a limited number of markers (e.g., -s, -ed, -ly). It retains many conceptual signs from ASL, such as "hair-yellow" for "blond". A number of children's storybooks such as Little Red Riding Hood are available in this system. A system no longer widely used that was extremely close to English is Seeing Essential English (Anthony, 1971), often referred to as SEE 1. This system used separate signs for English morphemes and signed by "root words" such as gene as the root for genetic, general, generous. The most widely used system that is close to English is Signing Exact English, or SEE 2. This system includes many more markers than Signed English (e.g., -ous, -ness, -ment) and signs by English word rather than by concept. In SEE 2 one would use the same signs for "is running" whether the subject is a man, the water, one's nose, or a car. In ASL the sign for "run" would differ in each of those situations.

Apart from specific vocabulary, all of the sign systems include the visual features of a signed language that add meaning and intonation to signing, such as shaking the head with a negative statement, raising the eyebrows with a yes-no question, placing signs according to meaning, and using facial expression and body movement to convey mood and tone.

Many individuals and programs use a mixture of systems. Because one can speak nearly twice as fast as one can sign, it takes commitment and practice to sign complete English. Many individuals sign in English word order but do not include word endings or markers. Some choose to sign by word meaning; others choose to follow the SEE 2 principle of signing by English word.

Who Can Use This Option?

English-based systems are used by many parents of young children who are deaf. They are also used widely by educators. Some of the vocabulary developed by these sign systems has been accepted in widespread use in ASL, but many Deaf adults have negative attitudes toward the use of such a system. They view it as a denial of Deaf culture and a failure to accept a child's deafness. Parents and educators, on the other hand, use it because they wish to expose the child to English in a clearly visible modality. In addition, many parents prefer it because English is their own language, and they wish their children to know the same language. A number of families and schools use such a system as one component of a total approach to communication, including ASL, amplification, speechreading, reading, and writing. Persons who work with families of young children, or with the children themselves, should be familiar with the system used in their locality.
What are the Benefits of This Option?

Children learn the language of their environment when they perceive it clearly. Use of an English-based sign system provides them with access to English during the language learning years. Such a sign system is also useful with older students who have not yet mastered English, when used with a second language learning approach. As with any language, the fluency of the child will depend on the fluency of the language models in his/her environment. When fluent and complete models are consistently available, English can be learned in a normal manner. This is a critical point for English-based sign systems, since English literacy has been and remains very important and very difficult for many individuals who are deaf.
What are the Limitations of this Option?

Because English-based sign systems do differ from ASL in grammar and in the use of English markers, some Deaf adults do not like them. They feel it is an attempt by hearing persons to impose hearing standards on children who are deaf. In addition, because speech is faster than signs, an individual must be committed to presenting complete English in signs and to make the effort to learn and become fluent. Persons who are not wholly committed may end up signing only part of their spoken message, presenting incomplete English that does not fit ASL syntax either. What are some questions to ask before choosing this option?
Do I believe in the importance of presenting complete English? Am I willing to take the time to become fluent? What is used in the schools in the area where I live? What materials are available to help me learn? How will I react if I meet negative attitudes from deaf adults? How will I ensure the child's involvement with the Deaf community and his/her self-esteem as a person who is deaf?

References

Anthony, D. (1971). Seeing Essential English. Anaheim, CA: Educational Services Division, Anaheim Union High School District.
Bornstein, H. (Ed.) (1990). Manual communication: Implications for Education. Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press.

Bornstein, J., Hamilton, L., & Saulnier, K. (1983). The comprehensive Signed English dictionary. Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press.

Brasel, K. & Quigley, S. (1977). The influence of certain language and communication environments in early childhood on the development of language in deaf individuals. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 20, 95-107.

Gaustad, M.A.G. (1986). Longitudinal effects of manual English instruction on deaf children's morphological skills. Applied Psycholinguistics, 7, 101-128.

Luetke-Stahlman, B. (1988). The benefit of oral-English-only as compared with signed input to hearing impaired students. The Volta Review, 90(7), 349-361.

Luetke-Stahlman, B. (1993). Three PSE studies: Implications for educators. In M.P. Moeller (Ed.), Proceedings: Issues in Language and Deafness. Omaha, NE: Boys Town National Research Hospital.

Resources

The Gallaudet University Bookstore (800 Florida Ave., NE, Washington DC 20002) carries both Signed English and Signing Exact English materials. Gallaudet University Press publishes the Signed English materials, and has published a book, Manual communication: Implications for education (1990), edited by H. Bornstein, which provides detailed information on the topic. Specific questions about Signing Exact English may be referred to the SEE Center for the Advancement of Deaf Children (10443 Los Alamitos Blvd., Los Alamitos, CA 90720). SEE 2 materials are published by Modern Sign Press, Inc., PO Box 1181, Los Alamitos, CA 90720.
Source: Educating Children Who Are Deaf of Hard of Hearing: English-Based Sign Systems

:hmm:

Suppose a class of young hearing children, English native speakers, are being taught French in a public school in America.

Does the teacher add French prefixes and suffixes to the children's English vocabulary? Does the teacher conjugate English verbs to fit French grammar? Does the teacher give artificial genders to English nouns?

No.

English is taught as English, and French is taught as French. They don't teach Frenglish or Engrench.

It seems to me that the children should first be well-grounded in ASL, and then be taught how to read and write English without an artificial "system" incorporated.

Of course, I'm not a linguist or "educator" so it's just my opinion. :)

On what I've observed in public school classrooms:

Schools are required to hire ASL terps and Deaf ed teachers. OK, the letter of the law is being followed.

However, in the classroom, what do the terps and teachers use? Variations of SEE/MCE/CASE. :roll:

It might not be that way everywhere. However, parents of deaf children need to observe with their own eyes what the school uses and not take for granted that ASL is actually being used in the classrooms. (Also, don't assume because one is a CODA that ASL is automatically used.)

I'm just sayin'. :whistle:

Is this the same method they been using and failed? I have hear people complain about deaf with SEE with bad writing. I'm deaf since birth who used speech and NO SIGNS at all. My writing was a whole lot worst when I got out of high school. Maybe it have improved because I've been on the internet for quite some time.

And now I hear about bi-bi failing too. I think the best you can do for your deaf child is not worry about his communication.He need to be able to communicate effectively and freely so he won't be behind his creativity. I think ASL offer that because others are just too word-by-word.. which that's what I do when I listen to people. I focused too much on word-by-word and not enough on creativity. When hearing people listen, they don't listen word by word. They listen conceptionally, right?

Focus on his literacy instead instead of his communication method. Let him be creative with ASL.

Is this the same method they been using and failed? I have hear people complain about deaf with SEE with bad writing. I'm deaf since birth who used speech and NO SIGNS at all. My writing was a whole lot worst when I got out of high school. Maybe it have improved because I've been on the internet for quite some time.

And now I hear about bi-bi failing too. I think the best you can do for your deaf child is not worry about his communication.He need to be able to communicate effectively and freely so he won't be behind his creativity. I think ASL offer that because others are just too word-by-word.. which that's what I do when I listen to people. I focused too much on word-by-word and not enough on creativity. When hearing people listen, they don't listen word by word. They listen conceptionally, right?

Focus on his literacy instead instead of his communication method. Let him be creative with ASL.

Can you elaborate where you are getting this information from if you don't mind? Thank you

English teachers can teach exclusively with reading and writing. It's not necessary to use spoken English to read and write. Realistically, how many oral presentations do hearing kids make in our crowded regular classroom?

Writing is a skill separate and apart from spoken English. Good oral skills do not equate to good writing skills. All kids need to read more and practice writing more.

Studies show that one of the biggest indicators of student success is having parents who model a love of reading. Pick up a good book!

Yes, it's sad that kids don't enjoy and do more reading. :(

My kid has a great 3rd grade teacher who inspires a love of reading in her students. This is a crucial age for developing reading habits and I'm so grateful for her!

I don't think bi-bi is failing as much as it has not been properly utilized.

just words of mouth especially about California. I don't have any proof other than people telling me that some deaf people are writing in ASL style.

But I had a very difficult time figuring out where to put the "s" and "ed" (or other past tense stuff) and the "have, has, had" I still do as it is not natural for me. I can't hear these things even with my implant unless someone speak slowly for me. My thought process is choppy as well I guess it is because of speechreading and not able to go with flow of conversation. So that's why I say don't focus on his communication method. Focus on his reading and writing. I'm not sure how to go about it, you'll have to ask around.

Last edited:
just words of mouth especially about California. I don't have any proof other than people telling me that some deaf people are writing in ASL style.

But I had a very difficult time figuring out where to put the "s" and "ed" (or other past tense stuff) and the "have, has, had" I still do as it is not natural for me. I can't hear these things even with my implant unless someone speak slowly for me. My thought process is choppy as well I guess it is because of speechreading and not able to go with flow of conversation. So that's why I say don't focus on his communication method. Focus on his reading and writing. I'm not sure how to go about it, you'll have to ask around.
From what I understand this is where CASE might bridge that gap and help.

yes, but you have to remember.... is this what they have been using?

if so, have the literacy of deaf improved? If not, then it really doesn't make a difference.

I've read that Manipulative Visual Language and/or dolch system seem to help deaf people who use ASL.

My kid has a great 3rd grade teacher who inspires a love of reading in her students. This is a crucial age for developing reading habits and I'm so grateful for her!

So nice of you. I think your child is that much little that can follow their teacher. But what about them whose child is more that 15 years. They will never do what their teachers say. For them this class will be the best idea. I gave first priority for this.

Back