What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not up to date on the use of today's trains. What I do know comes from the postings here and the times I have to wait at crossings or go further to use the subway or overpass depending on which way I am going. And, of course, Google searches.

The last time I was on a train was in the early 1960's when a friend and I went to Downer's Grove to spend a week with her sister and her family. She had been down here with their boys while her husband was doing Reserve training. So we all went up there together by car. Then we came back down here by train from a station in Chicago.

I am not up to date on the use of today's trains. What I do know comes from the postings here and the times I have to wait at crossings or go further to use the subway or overpass depending on which way I am going. And, of course, Google searches.

The last time I was on a train was in the early 1960's when a friend and I went to Downer's Grove to spend a week with her sister and her family. She had been down here with their boys while her husband was doing Reserve training. So we all went up there together by car. Then we came back down here by train from a station in Chicago.

I know that line. Currently several trains use it, the BNSF on Metra, the Southwest Service (I think, since it uses a majority of the BNSF line to CUS, but I could be wrong), and and the Illinois/California Zypher, I believe, but I could also be wrong here, but I DO know it uses a part of the BNSF, however. Just not sure where it gets off at, though. Also, BNSF freight trains use it, as does the occasional CSX.

I know that line. Currently several trains use it, the BNSF on Metra, the Southwest Service (I think, since it uses a majority of the BNSF line to CUS, but I could be wrong), and and the Illinois/California Zypher, I believe, but I could also be wrong here, but I DO know it uses a part of the BNSF, however. Just not sure where it gets off at, though. Also, BNSF freight trains use it, as does the occasional CSX.

Back when I was talking about it was still Illinois Central well before Canadian National acquired them or Amtrak started.

Back when I was talking about it was still Illinois Central well before Canadian National acquired them or Amtrak started.

Canadian National? That would be in the southern suburbs. Used to be the EB&J line before they did. And Amtrak doesn't go through there, to my knowledge, but the Southwest Service does, though. That one does use that line. In fact, I rode it once to Oak Lawn, IL a few years back.

Canadian National? That would be in the southern suburbs. Used to be the EB&J line before they did. And Amtrak doesn't go through there, to my knowledge, but the Southwest Service does, though. That one does use that line. In fact, I rode it once to Oak Lawn, IL a few years back.

You are loosing track of the fact that I am NOT talking about NOW. When I rode a train from Chicago to Centralia was back in the 1960s!!!!!!!!! That was when passenger service was still provided by the Illinois Central. Well BEFORE Amtrak started (Amtrak began operations on May 1, 1971). Then the Canadian National bought the Illinois Central in 1998.

You are loosing track of the fact that I am NOT talking about NOW. When I rode a train from Chicago to Centralia was back in the 1960s!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I know. Then and now aren't the same as they were then. And yes, Canadian National still does run the Illini line, as I have seen their frieght trains in Effingham before.

Yes but I don't think I can get it to you though a computer , maybe some day but not now . You will need to buy some sliver bullets and wooden stakes . And sleep with one eye open .

I meant that as a joke. Hence my saying :lol:. Means I was joking.

I learned that this web browser I'm using today is FAST. When they say fast, they mean fast. I'm very impressed by it, and am keeping it around. It's Opera Mini Browser, and quite suits my needs very well.

I learned in my city if you do your job too well you can lose it. I was talking a guy from the park department about the city trying to keep the frog pond water clean and he told me the city had a woman that did her job too well and people did not like that. :roll:

I learned in my city if you do your job too well you can lose it. I was talking a guy from the park department about the city trying to keep the frog pond water clean and he told me the city had a woman that did her job too well and people did not like that. :roll:

:hmm::crazy:

That despite preparing for rough weather, there's absolutely no way to prepare for what you actually face, and see.

That major road construction can happen at 5:30 in the morning. Was surprised to see that happening. :shock:

That major road construction can happen at 5:30 in the morning. Was surprised to see that happening. :shock:

I see announcements on St. Louis TV a lot about overnight work and weekend work. It disrupts traffic less because of fewer people on the road and thus also less danger of workers being hit. They often will plan to open at 6 am if it is maintenance of existing pavement.

I see announcements on St. Louis TV a lot about overnight work and weekend work. It disrupts traffic less because of fewer people on the road and thus also less danger of workers being hit. They often will plan to open at 6 am if it is maintenance of existing pavement.

Yeah, but here's the thing, though. They've been working on that section of Lawrence for several years, and not so long ago it wasn't as safe as it is today. They've made some major improvements since the last time I rode to the Metra that early in the morning.

do a job well then do it yourself...lesson should have worked on years ago

I learned that despite my best efforts to get my Gmail accounts synced with my phone, it will not accept it for some reason. That leads me to believe that my phone is starting to fail, and a lot sooner than I had expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back