What did you learn today? Part II

I learned that the house with the golfer behind us is putting in a 5 foot high chain link fence and also all kinds of new netting to catch his golf balls. I gave his wife another 3 buckets today.

Today I learned that apparently, I'm not allowed to get a driver's license. :roll: Of course, I CAN get a driver's license - but my mother won't let me drive, because she thinks that I'll kill myself on the road or get ran over by a speeding ambulance or something. She thinks that insurance for deaf people is higher than it ought to be. And she claims that there are laws that do not allow deaf 16 year olds to drive on the roads.

I think that my mother just doesn't want me to have any freedom. :mad:

This isn't something that a 16 year old wants to be told. I can't wait to drive! I took Driver's Ed last semester, and the teacher didn't say anything about me not being able to drive because I'm deaf. So I don't know what to think...

I learned that when you're homeschooled (Or when you go to a cyber school, like I do), there is no such thing as "spring break". Why? Because there's so much schoolwork to do...

*sigh*

Heh. I am not letting you talk to my (homeschooled) kids. They feel your pain.

They did get a four day school week this week. But that's because the fifth day is for a trip to the art museum.

Today I learned that apparently, I'm not allowed to get a driver's license. :roll: Of course, I CAN get a driver's license - but my mother won't let me drive, because she thinks that I'll kill myself on the road or get ran over by a speeding ambulance or something. She thinks that insurance for deaf people is higher than it ought to be. And she claims that there are laws that do not allow deaf 16 year olds to drive on the roads.

This isn't something that a 16 year old wants to be told. I can't wait to drive! I took Driver's Ed last semester, and the teacher didn't say anything about me not being able to drive because I'm deaf. So I don't know what to think...

Get a job and buy your own car and insurance. It's not actually an entitlement to drive.

your parents' comment about deaf drivers is disturbing to me but I think they made it up just to prevent you from driving. I don't blame the parents. Just about all teenagers go thru this phase with their parents.

You just gotta remember - you live under your parents' roof. their roof, their rules. life's not fair. wait till you go to college and you get to do whatever you want.

Interesting....my daughter is 14 and I can't wait till she drives so that I can make her run all the errands for me......:lol:

Actually, insurance for ANY teenage driver is outrageous, deaf or not. Rates are not different for deaf drivers.

Parents become terrified as their teens reach the driving age....I was a nervous wreck with my oldest boy...and after the 2nd lesson, I let him drive around the block, and he backed into a fire hydrant....and tore up the bumper on my Van....But now, he drives very well :roll:

My 2nd son, no way. Tell him to turn left...he turns right....screeches to a halt, slams the gas pedal too hard, etc., etc. :shock:..I get migranes riding with him....

Now the baby, at 15 is next....(god help me!)....

I feel sure that ur parents are just worried about ur safety...give it time and they will come around.

I hope be exciting to happy on expect to soon coming exciting :D I wait for on approval job but

strictly serious concern because more strong advise 0.o! I knew!! I expect to I will figure out work increase out busy focus new moving to futures wise I do it best advise to my life change :)

Get a job and buy your own car and insurance. It's not actually an entitlement to drive.

Yes, I know. I'm saving all of my money for a car, and I'm buying it myself once I get enough money. And I am responsible for my own insurance and gas money. I just mean that my parents won't teach me how to drive and will not permit me to learn how to drive. But, my younger brother (he's 14 and hearing) already knows how to drive the car, and they let HIM drive all the time! THAT'S what I'm upset about - not that they are concerned about my safety.

I would get a job, but there are a couple of problems. One, any jobs that are out there are taken by older people and people who have been laid off. There is a chronic shortage of jobs for teens in my area. I have been looking for a job for at least a year and a half. I've applied for over 30 jobs, and all of the positions are taken by someone who is older than me. (So it's not like I'm trying NOT to get a job. I'm trying very hard to find one.) And two, any jobs that are out there are at least 30 miles away from my house. Most are more than 45 miles from my house. There are no jobs in my area because they are already taken by people who are older than me. Long story, but because of my parents' working schedules and other reasons, I have no form of transportation to and from a job unless it's within walking distance to my house. (And I live in the middle of nowhere.) I've tried car-pooling, but no one wants to come out to my area to pick me up. And we have no forms of public transportation here. So I'm kind of stuck right now.

It's a round-about circle: I need a car in order to get to a job, but I need a job in order to get a car. So, in the meanwhile, I have my own little mini business. I make custom crochet hats, scarves, and other items to sell. My little business does pretty well; people are willing to pay $20 for a crochet hat and about the same price for a scarf. All of the money that I earn goes towards my car fund, insurance, and gas money. I've made about $300 since January, so I'm doing pretty well. This summer, I am going to a lot of local craft fairs, and I hope to sell a lot of my handmade items.

I feel sure that ur parents are just worried about ur safety...give it time and they will come around.

Yeah, you're probably right. But, I'm still convinced that they are more worried about the safety of their cars... I think that I will be a pretty good driver. I'll need lots of practice, but I am a careful, alert, and sensible person.

You just gotta remember - you live under your parents' roof. their roof, their rules. life's not fair. wait till you go to college and you get to do whatever you want.

You're right. Only two more years, only two more years...

Yes, I know. I'm saving all of my money for a car, and I'm buying it myself once I get enough money. And I am responsible for my own insurance and gas money. I just mean that my parents won't teach me how to drive and will not permit me to learn how to drive. But, my younger brother (he's 14 and hearing) already knows how to drive the car, and they let HIM drive all the time! THAT'S what I'm upset about - not that they are concerned about my safety.

I would get a job, but there are a couple of problems. One, any jobs that are out there are taken by older people and people who have been laid off. There is a chronic shortage of jobs for teens in my area. I have been looking for a job for at least a year and a half. I've applied for over 30 jobs, and all of the positions are taken by someone who is older than me. (So it's not like I'm trying NOT to get a job. I'm trying very hard to find one.) And two, any jobs that are out there are at least 30 miles away from my house. Most are more than 45 miles from my house. There are no jobs in my area because they are already taken by people who are older than me. Long story, but because of my parents' working schedules and other reasons, I have no form of transportation to and from a job unless it's within walking distance to my house. (And I live in the middle of nowhere.) I've tried car-pooling, but no one wants to come out to my area to pick me up. And we have no forms of public transportation here. So I'm kind of stuck right now.

It's a round-about circle: I need a car in order to get to a job, but I need a job in order to get a car. So, in the meanwhile, I have my own little mini business. I make custom crochet hats, scarves, and other items to sell. My little business does pretty well; people are willing to pay $20 for a crochet hat and about the same price for a scarf. All of the money that I earn goes towards my car fund, insurance, and gas money. I've made about $300 since January, so I'm doing pretty well. This summer, I am going to a lot of local craft fairs, and I hope to sell a lot of my handmade items.

You go girl!....

Interesting....my daughter is 14 and I can't wait till she drives so that I can make her run all the errands for me......:lol:

Actually, insurance for ANY teenage driver is outrageous, deaf or not. Rates are not different for deaf drivers.

Same here. No more being taxi mom. I now have freedom. :lol:

Helicopter mom?

Put a man in Japan for one year will almost always beat a man taking Japanese class for one year.

Environment is more critical for you to learn a new language than taking a class, but sure... doing both is good as you can build some groundwork from what you have learned in class or from other sources and use it with other people.

Yeah, you're probably right. But, I'm still convinced that they are more worried about the safety of their cars... I think that I will be a pretty good driver. I'll need lots of practice, but I am a careful, alert, and sensible person.

Im sorry about how your parents think about deaf people. Dont let your parents stop you but prove them wrong.

My parents made me to learn how to drive when i didnt want to learn. They kept encouraging me to learn how to drive when i was 16. I was not interested until 18 so they had to make appointment for me to attend to the class. Sure parents can be worried. I encourage you to take a class for discounting the insurance and all like this.

Its time to educate your parents not to worry about deaf people what they can or cant.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

yjgstahc said:
I just learned a new secret. My deaf and hard of hearing teacher is pregnant.

I doubt she wanted you to post that on the web for anyone and everyone to see.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I doubt she wanted you to post that on the web for anyone and everyone to see.

I know. And she told everyone in school what she is. But i didnt say her name on the web. Like this thread ask what did I learn about.

Back