What did you learn today? Part II

I learned how to save money goin to Walmart... :lol: bought a pair of cheap sandals and they just as nice as $100.00 sandals from Keen. Who really wants to buy really expensive sandals? I dont live in Phoenix or Miami

I learned my CI surgery was approved and they are doing surgery in 12 days, May 2nd. I am so, so, so nervous!!!

I learned that my local tag office for license plates and title transfers and such is not deaf friendly. In fact, they are downright RUDE. Too bad it's the one closest to me. Ah well, when I have to renew tags again, I will be doing it by mail. If I ever have to go back to their office, I will drive the 20 miles out of my area to go to a friendlier location.
Can you do this online?

I learned that there are some things my husband STILL has not learned about me and my hearing loss.

I learned that there are some things my husband STILL has not learned about me and my hearing loss.

It can be frustrating...My DH (husband) and I have been together over 35 years now, my hearing starting to go 20 years ago. It seems to me that it's only recently, say in the last couple of years, that he is actually understanding what I deal with, how I try to deal with, my hearing loss. And has become my advocate when needed. :) He understand more what my aids can and cannot do, and my growing hearing loss. I have not been shy asking for what I need (face me, be close to me when you speak, etc.) or emailing him articles, but it really I think hit home even more when he took an ASL course with me last fall. And he encountered others like me, and what we do every day to communicate in challenging venues. So, sometimes it just takes a long time for our hearing partners to truly "get it." :hmm: HUGS!

We've been married 19 years. I went total deaf 6 years ago. All along he knowsd how hard I try and how well I've used my CapTel phone since I still speak, but am going more "voice off". Well, out of the blue this morning, he's talking about going to the insurance company to have them cancel the insurance on the vehicle we sold yesterday and I mention that I was planning on calling them today. Well, he jumps up with "But, you're deaf, you can't use the telephone anymore." Well, my son got all over him for that remark and hubby's been so apologetic since, but I do need to let it go, but it's hard since I have to deal with it so much these days.

Oh, OUCH! on the being able to telephone. :roll: I have a CapTel also (going to get a CaptionCall set up next week, as some of my friends say it's better :dunno:), and I do my own business calling as much as I can. There have been times I've asked DH (husband) to do it if it's a complicated or lengthy phone call that needs to be done. Mostly because many times the CapTel captioning ends up being 3 sentences behind and I am left sitting like a lump, explaining over & over, I am waiting for the captioning. So, if it's going to be one of those calls, I let him do it and relieve me of the aggravation. For shorter calls, I do it myself. Just the way we've worked it out...I try to be clear what I can and can't do. And it's not "all or nothing." :) The occasional insensitive comments, though, do hurt, when they happen. Bravo to your son for speaking up on your behalf! Bless him! :)

For some reason, I have confused the signs for the letters B and D, W and F. :lol: With the finger-spelling with Scrabble yesterday, I am getting clearer recognizing the signs when others make them, and making them myself. One small step... :P

For some reason, I have confused the signs for the letters B and D, W and F. :lol: With the finger-spelling with Scrabble yesterday, I am getting clearer recognizing the signs when others make them, and making them myself. One small step... :P

Better than me. I get D and F mixed up sometimes. Just hope I don't need to tell someone to DUCK!. :giggle:

Back