What did you learn today? Part II

I learned where the spark plugs are in my car! :razz:

Thinking to self while mis-hearing a handful from the mechanic: “Just STFU and replace them!” :rolleyes:

That's right. When I first landed here in AD, I thought my opinion over ruled everyone else's.

Because: I. Was. So. Damn. Smart. I was wrong. I got humoured and my ass handed to me.
I was hated in AD. I stuck around, sat back and paid attention. I have learned alot and made amends.
I don’t think you were hated. At least not that I was aware of. But I noticed when you told a certain poster she needed a 5-gallon bucket of suave. :lol:

when you realize that people who put you down, isn't always right nor wrong, just need to look back to think... maybe I just didnt word it right?? I see this a lot, sad really. I am just glad that sometimes you can just look away and pretend nothing happen, sometimes its harder said than done. But that is what makes life interesting, right?

Oh well. :)

Don’t let the put downs get to you. Stand strong and you will learn to block the noise. Keep doing what are doing .

I don’t think you were hated. At least not that I was aware of. But I noticed when you told a certain poster she needed a 5-gallon bucket of suave. :lol:

Hmm..and I'm tickled as to how far that poster and I have progressed.:)

It's not the first time nor will it be the last. I have learned to deal with people who clearly do not understand. I had to learn it myself the hard way when I was growing up. When I finally learned ASL I was accepted and finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel. It was hard I ain't joking but it was well worth it.

I am not mad at them as they claim to think, I just get frustrated trying to explain over and over like a broken record. Its get tiresome! Those who did not go through what we had to go through all our life...and are late deafened, they need to kick back and listen to those who clearly understand what its like to be deaf/hoh to get a better understanding.

But obviously, those who grew up hearing... their thinking is not the same as those who are mentally and physically challenged. I don't think they would like it if those who were mentally and physically challenged ruled the world and tell "abled" people that they are broken simply because they are not the same as them, would they? They would look at us as we didn't know what we were talking about. That goes both ways, right?

Anyways... I hope those who come here with Respect and not tell us what we are and what we are not. It's not there call to make.
I simply don't tell hearing people you suck because you are not the same as us. That would be disrespectful on there hearing forum, wouldn't it?

Look we all make mistakes and try to do our best to learn from them. But to go on and on... No, that is where I step in and say what needed to be said and I said it as clearly as possible as I could. I thought I did, but apparently, they overlooked it and disregard as if it didn't matter.

What has been done is done. Moving on! :D Cheers mate!

What age did you decide to learn ASL? How long did it take you to become fluent? Just curious.

What age did you decide to learn ASL? How long did it take you to become fluent? Just curious.
I learned asl when I was going to "oral" speech class for 3-4 years learning the ABC's and some words I was around 18 months up til I was 4-5 years old, after that I moved to another state and another school ( i was 6-7 years old at the time) learned some words but not a lot since I was forbidden to use asl in my special ed's class, I was only allowed to use my voice, I don't know why, after that I just learn a few words, then I moved to another state where then I moved again to another state where they had some deaf kids, but same thing I couldn't use ASL only voice but learned a few words, but I forgot them after I moved to another state and went to a hearing school where there were NO deaf or hoh kids, totally forgotten asl and was totally left out from my comfort zone ( hated that school ) only to realize I was failing in every class, they transfer me to another school same state but this time I went to a special ed class with deaf and hoh and there I was able to use ASL in Jr High, I was in 8th grade is where I really found my calling in ASL. Thanks to my deaf friends whom I am still friends with over 35 years, had it not been for them, I would have been totally lost. I got better in ASL when I started dating a guy named Michael who had tons of friends who knew ASL, the more I was around them, the more I learned, I was in high school at the time.

Its been a ride I tell ya, It was not easy, but it was worth it! :) And yes I moved a lot! I went to 9 different schools.

I learned asl when I was going to "oral" speech class for 3-4 years learning the ABC's and some words I was around 18 months up til I was 4-5 years old, after that I moved to another state and another school ( i was 6-7 years old at the time) learned some words but not a lot since I was forbidden to use asl in my special ed's class, I was only allowed to use my voice, I don't know why, after that I just learn a few words, then I moved to another state where then I moved again to another state where they had some deaf kids, but same thing I couldn't use ASL only voice but learned a few words, but I forgot them after I moved to another state and went to a hearing school where there were NO deaf or hoh kids, totally forgotten asl and was totally left out from my comfort zone ( hated that school ) only to realize I was failing in every class, they transfer me to another school same state but this time I went to a special ed class with deaf and hoh and there I was able to use ASL in Jr High, I was in 8th grade is where I really found my calling in ASL. Thanks to my deaf friends whom I am still friends with over 35 years, had it not been for them, I would have been totally lost. I got better in ASL when I started dating a guy named Michael who had tons of friends who knew ASL, the more I was around them, the more I learned, I was in high school at the time.

Its been a ride I tell ya, It was not easy, but it was worth it! :) And yes I moved a lot! I went to 9 different schools.

When you first learned to sign were you nervous and scared? I know my situation is not the same as yours. I lost my hearing when I was 18. Now I'm 20. I'm just learning to sign and accept my deafness. My parents and brother took ASL classes when they found out I lost my hearing. It was me with all my issues that didn't want any part of it. Since I've started to sign with my family I'm much happier. I feel connected again. I do have a lot of anxiety still but it is getting better.

No, not really, it felt natural for me since I was born deaf, I do not know how it is for a hearing person, but I am sure the results are the same since you are learning and that is a huge step for anyone. :) I am glad you are learning with your family. That is a huge plus in my book :)
With time and patience you will be a pro in no time :)

Today I learned they they make Iphones.
Who is “they” ? Ooooh, do we have aliens working in a space factory? Are those phones with eyes? :lol: anyways I’m guessing the post above is just spam :)

I just got back from the weirdest experience. I was prospecting for gold. Working on an exposed quartz vein deep in the Alaska Range. Whoa Nelly the ground shook and i turned to run! My last memory was the slate gray orb with a round portal...

Back on the ground in an Alaska city I grasp for the straws of reality. A new leader a guy a really barely literate weird guy with strange hair named Dick Tater is running my country ... I think its my country. And worst of all? I cannot remember where that quartz vein was.

UFO's are real but I am not so sure about reality.

I just got back from the weirdest experience. I was prospecting for gold. Working on an exposed quartz vein deep in the Alaska Range. Whoa Nelly the ground shook and i turned to run! My last memory was the slate gray orb with a round portal...

Back on the ground in an Alaska city I grasp for the straws of reality. A new leader a guy a really barely literate weird guy with strange hair named Dick Tater is running my country ... I think its my country. And worst of all? I cannot remember where that quartz vein was.

UFO's are real but I am not so sure about reality.
:giggle:

that when you want things done, ask the boss to do teh firing, whew! Glad I don't have to do it.

I learned that I truly love using ASL and I NEED more friends who know it whether D/deaf or Hearing! <3 Hit me up to skype/oovoo/ facetime/ video chat :)

I learned that people are not looking out for your best interest. Some people need a slap on the face. JS!

Back