What did you learn today? Part II

Voter ID in South Carolina
The county board of elections will need to have a current and valid photo ID on file for your vote to count in South Carolina.

If you don't have a driver's license to prove your identity, you can apply for a free ID card through the South Carolina DMV.

To apply for a voter ID card, you'll simply need to:

Complete an Application for a Non-Commercial Credential (Form 447-NC).
Provide proof of your identity and date of birth.
Provide proof of your U.S. citizenship.
Provide proof of your Social Security number.
Provide proof of your SC residency.

I was wondering if people could get a free ID card , then there is no reason for people to be upset about needing to show an ID card. This way your vote won't be stolen by someone else . I would be really pissed off if that happen to me.

http://www.alabamavoterid.com/getFreePhotoVoterID.aspx

There is big problem - my state isn't push underprivileged people to vote.

In the past, people go to polling place without ID, even my parents did.

In most cases, majority of voters are honest and I don't believe that push more unnecessary burden on voters to carry.

When you claim that voter ID is free, but you have to pay for new copy of SSN and birth certificate to make voter ID. That's not free.

That's seems red flag to me, but in the past, the ID isn't mandatory for voting.

Some people don't have birth certificate or SSN so it cost money to get new copy of those documents.

What about college students in SC? They don't have proof of SC residency.
Who doesn't have an SSN?

College students:

South Carolina College Students
If you are attending college in South Carolina, you can register to vote using your school address as your mailing address so that all correspondence will be received there.

If you are from SC but attending school outside of the state, you can register using your permanent, home address in SC. See our section “Register to Vote in South Carolina" above for more information.

STK669016.jpg

Who doesn't have an SSN?

College students:

If you are attending college in South Carolina, you can register to vote using your school address as your mailing address so that all correspondence will be received there.

If you are from SC but attending school outside of the state, you can register using your permanent, home address in SC. See our section “Register to Vote in South Carolina" above for more information.

Some people lost SSN when their home were fire or burglarized, sometime, they threw SSN card away accidentally so it means they need new SSN that cost money before they can sign up for ID.

Interesting about college students in SC, also school photo ID accepted? I know some states or counties attempt to make difficult for college students to vote.

Did you got my PM last night? I don't support mandatory ID without conditions that is necessary to discourage the voter suppression. How could you address the people's concern about voter suppression?

That's seems red flag to me, but in the past, the ID isn't mandatory for voting.

Some people don't have birth certificate or SSN so it cost money to get new copy of those documents.

What about college students in SC? They don't have proof of SC residency.
Some students will keep their home state as state of residency. My niece did for the first year. I THINK she is voting in SC this year- not sure though as her driver's license and plates are still NC but lives off campus.

Students can also apply for resident state in the state where they go to college. I know of one deaf guy at Gally who did this.. or well is trying to.

Depends on the state- some states I don't think charge for a copy of your birth certificate. That may have changed by now though I don't know...

Social Security Cards- from what I am reading, legal immigrants generally gets a new card with their package upon moving etc. Applying for a new card/number is free and doesn't cost anything. Doesn't cost anything to get a replacement card either. (I know that from first hand experience)

Who doesn't have an SSN?

College students:

Thanks Reba- that explained it a bit better than my example lol.

Foxrac said:
Some people lost SSN when their home were fire or burglarized, sometime, they threw SSN card away accidentally so it means they need new SSN that cost money before they can sign up for ID.

In those cases, no it doesn't cost a dime to replace the cards. Easy to do either online or at the social security office. In the case of Identity Theft-- here's info on how and why you would need to replace or get a new number. No mention of cost.
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-New-Social-Security-Number

(sorry- I don't want to post 5 posts in a row lol)

Calvin- I want that button! Quack!

Some students will keep their home state as state of residency. My niece did for the first year. I THINK she is voting in SC this year- not sure though as her driver's license and plates are still NC but lives off campus.

Students can also apply for resident state in the state where they go to college. I know of one deaf guy at Gally who did this.. or well is trying to.

Depends on the state- some states I don't think charge for a copy of your birth certificate. That may have changed by now though I don't know...

Social Security Cards- from what I am reading, legal immigrants generally gets a new card with their package upon moving etc. Applying for a new card/number is free and doesn't cost anything. Doesn't cost anything to get a replacement card either. (I know that from first hand experience)

I checked SS website and you are correct about new SSN card is free.

but... birth certificate isn't free.

In my state
http://adph.org/vitalrecords/index.asp?id=1559

In my birthplace state - NC
http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/order.htm

I believe that SSN cards are commonly used for poor people to vote when non-photo ID was mandatory before they upgraded to photo ID.

Some people don't know about where they were born, hence, they are unable to get new copy if they lose birth certificate.

I feel bad for people who going thorough the red tape before they can vote.

I checked SS website and you are correct about new SSN card is free.

but... birth certificate isn't free.

In my state
http://adph.org/vitalrecords/index.asp?id=1559

In my birthplace state - NC
http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/order.htm

I believe that SSN cards are commonly used for poor people to vote when non-photo ID was mandatory before they upgraded to photo ID.

Some people don't know about where they were born, hence, they are unable to get new copy if they lose birth certificate.

I feel bad for people who going thorough the red tape before they can vote.
I tried to find a list of states with costs for obtaining copies of birth certificate but couldn't find one but judging from the google hits I think you are right in that there is a charge in all states for them (cost will definitely vary though).

Couldn't find any information on what someone could do if they didn't know where they were born- don't know how common that is- would think at most they'd know what state they were born in. In this day and age it may be easy enough to find using their name and their parents' names... err if known. Fascinating... now I'm curious lol.

I tried to find a list of states with costs for obtaining copies of birth certificate but couldn't find one but judging from the google hits I think you are right in that there is a charge in all states for them (cost will definitely vary though).

Couldn't find any information on what someone could do if they didn't know where they were born- don't know how common that is- would think at most they'd know what state they were born in. In this day and age it may be easy enough to find using their name and their parents' names... err if known. Fascinating... now I'm curious lol.

I think birth certificate used to be free in the past, is it possible? I remember about getting police report used to be free, but not anymore.

Alright, I'm just curious too, I got it. What you think about early voting and same day voter registration? They are great solution to discourage the voter suppression and we can't let corrupted leaders to win the election. I believe North Carolina used to have that but they changed the voter law.

No worries about many posts, that's forum and I'm enjoying to discuss with you. :cool2:

In most cases, majority of voters are honest and I don't believe that push more unnecessary burden on voters to carry.

When you claim that voter ID is free, but you have to pay for new copy of SSN and birth certificate to make voter ID. That's not free.
Why would you need a new copy of your SSN and birth certificate?

Why would you need a new copy of your SSN and birth certificate?

I already have original SSN and birth certificate in safe box since I was born.

but... I'm concerned about some people who are unable to vote, that where corrupted politicians love to see happen like that so they can enjoy their power.

Check with DD's post - he's correct about SSN is free.

I think birth certificate used to be free in the past, is it possible? I remember about getting police report used to be free, but not anymore.

Alright, I'm just curious too, I got it. What you think about early voting and same day voter registration? They are great solution to discourage the voter suppression and we can't let corrupted leaders to win the election. I believe North Carolina used to have that but they changed the voter law.

No worries about many posts, that's forum and I'm enjoying to discuss with you. :cool2:
I don't know. I know that my mom told me once they had to pay for my birth certificate when I was born but they had some sort of 'deal' going where they could get 3 for something like $14? (or less I can't remember what she said- and this was in the mid 60s). Might have varied by state too then.

Early voting is good for those who may not be in town on the day of the actual voting (same idea with the absentee voting). Same day voting I'm not sure on. I can't remember if that's what I did the first time I voted- went and registered the same day all those years ago. I know some states allow mail in votes as well (thinking Washington or Oregon). Though I wonder how they validate the absentee and mail in votes.

LOL I worry about the double/triple postings because on the forum I am on staff for doesn't allow that and I've gotten used to just editing my post when I can out of habit over the past 12 years.

I don't know. I know that my mom told me once they had to pay for my birth certificate when I was born but they had some sort of 'deal' going where they could get 3 for something like $14? (or less I can't remember what she said- and this was in the mid 60s). Might have varied by state too then.

Early voting is good for those who may not be in town on the day of the actual voting (same idea with the absentee voting). Same day voting I'm not sure on. I can't remember if that's what I did the first time I voted- went and registered the same day all those years ago. I know some states allow mail in votes as well (thinking Washington or Oregon). Though I wonder how they validate the absentee and mail in votes.

LOL I worry about the double/triple postings because on the forum I am on staff for doesn't allow that and I've gotten used to just editing my post when I can out of habit over the past 12 years.

In Alabama, for absentee ballot, you must take picture of photo ID with phone camera and print it, after that, you fill the ballot out with black marker (in my county) and put ballot in small secret envelope and put copy of photo ID in large envelope. You must find someone who is responsible to get notarized with witness - it is difficult to find someone at Gallaudet but I managed to found someone. I dropped absentee envelope in US Mail to our county clerk.

I'm not sure about mail-in voting like in Oregon and Washington and I'm curious about that so we may find someone like Woody to explain about how mail-in voting works.

Seriously, I rather go to polling center over vote absentee ballot with many steps on instruction.

You should always have these documents, not just for voter ID. Other places require them. I need my SS card when I get a job with a new employer.

I learned that most of the dust in a home comes from dead skin. Ewww !! :lol:

(I better start sloughing off my dead skin now.)

I learned that most of the dust in a home comes from dead skin. Ewww !! :lol:

(I better start sloughing off my dead skin now.)

With 7 people living in my house, I can't keep up with the dusting!!!!!!

Back