What did you learn today? Part II

Oh, Reba, sorry about that. Was that from the flooding earlier this past fall? Is that because you didn't have flood ins? So frustrating.
No, not from the fall floods. We had no damage from that, and we do have flood insurance that kind of situation, if it happens.

Friday night/Saturday morning, our water pipe that runs between the two floors burst. It flooded down the dining room and kitchen ceilings, onto the wood floors. It ran out the overhead light fixtures and onto furniture and countertops. We cleaned up the water ourselves.

Saturday morning the plumber fixed the leak but discovered we have the kind of plumbing that will continue to weaken and leak, so we have to replace it throughout the house. That repair was $275.

The labor will be expensive. They have to cut up our downstairs ceilings, remove the pipes and replace them. It will be a mess.

After the plumbers are done we have to replace the torn out ceilings.

No, not from the fall floods. We had no damage from that, and we do have flood insurance that kind of situation, if it happens.

Friday night/Saturday morning, our water pipe that runs between the two floors burst. It flooded down the dining room and kitchen ceilings, onto the wood floors. It ran out the overhead light fixtures and onto furniture and countertops. We cleaned up the water ourselves.

Saturday morning the plumber fixed the leak but discovered we have the kind of plumbing that will continue to weaken and leak, so we have to replace it throughout the house. That repair was $275.

The labor will be expensive. They have to cut up our downstairs ceilings, remove the pipes and replace them. It will be a mess.

After the plumbers are done we have to replace the torn out ceilings.

That sucks. A few years ago we had to spend $8000 ourselves, non insurance covered when the old post war sewer pipe form our house to the street collapsed.

We were lucky to save the driveway, but the old cement steps were lost.

OMG, both of you girls! Is there anything worse for a homeowner than water problems? That which we need so much can give us fits!:ugh3:

I am sorry reb I know what burst pipe like....
That cheap job you having done I had similar job done twenty years ago and it was approx £2000 I think equal to 1500dollors not sure..At least your plumbers are fair..what your pipes made of.i don't want be doom and gloom but should you get builders look at foundations incase other stuff not up to regulations or sometimes it best not to know

I learned no matter what you say to someone it's useless

That sucks. A few years ago we had to spend $8000 ourselves, non insurance covered when the old post war sewer pipe form our house to the street collapsed.

Ugh! At least it was the pipe outside your house! Sewage inside the house would be a real nightmare.

Still, that was an awful bill for you to pay.

Learned today that insurance doesn't cover the water damage to our kitchen and dining room, or for replumbing the house. All told, we're probably going to pay $5-6k. :(

The house is going to look pretty bad in those rooms for a while. Ugh!

Ouch! :(

Ugh! At least it was the pipe outside your house! Sewage inside the house would be a real nightmare.

Still, that was an awful bill for you to pay.

The way we found out, was when it came up through the downstairs bathtub because of no exit with the collapsed pipe.

It was a nightmare and lucky my husband had vacation that week.

Somewhere here I have a thread about it when it happened,

The way we found out, was when it came up through the downstairs bathtub because of no exit with the collapsed pipe.

It was a nightmare and lucky my husband had vacation that week.

Somewhere here I have a thread about it when it happened,
Now that you mention it, I do remember something about that. You're right, that is a real nightmare! Some vacation, huh?

Is this it?

Our Plumbing Project

Learned today that insurance doesn't cover the water damage to our kitchen and dining room, or for replumbing the house. All told, we're probably going to pay $5-6k. :(

The house is going to look pretty bad in those rooms for a while. Ugh!

Oh no!!!! That's a lot of money! Ugh

We have a major and very expensive project that needs to be done soon. Most of the front of the house has dropped about two inches causing my front hallway to crack, downstairs shower cracked etc. etc. The pipes in the backyard are full of tree roots which prevents the water to drain properly too. I wanted to get new hardwood floors but can't do anything until this mess gets fixed. Luckily my husband is a civil engineer so he understands most of this. Just need to hire the right people to fix it. Also need to make sure the house doesn't settle anymore before I can do any improvements.

Reba...sorry this happened to you. Sucks that your insurance doesn't cover that. What a mess and very stressful. Hope you get it fixed soon. It gets expensive as our houses get older.

Now that you mention it, I do remember something about that. You're right, that is a real nightmare! Some vacation, huh?

Is this it?

Our Plumbing Project

Yep. Somehow weird thing not mine are there instead of the original pictures, but the information is still there.

Yep. Somehow weird thing not mine are there instead of the original pictures, but the information is still there.

Mine was the same Botti...different peoples pictures and your pictures say have been deleted. I was interested in looking at the pictures and showing my hubby.

We have a major and very expensive project that needs to be done soon. Most of the front of the house has dropped about two inches causing my front hallway to crack, downstairs shower cracked etc. etc. The pipes in the backyard are full of tree roots which prevents the water to drain properly too. I wanted to get new hardwood floors but can't do anything until this mess gets fixed. Luckily my husband is a civil engineer so he understands most of this. Just need to hire the right people to fix it. Also need to make sure the house doesn't settle anymore before I can do any improvements.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. Good thing your hubby has that knowledge.

Reba...sorry this happened to you. Sucks that your insurance doesn't cover that. What a mess and very stressful. Hope you get it fixed soon. It gets expensive as our houses get older.
Yeah, problem is, as houses get older, we get older too, and have to hire out more of the labor.

True about getting older and not being able to do your own work. I think that is hard for my hubby. He started digging up the yard last summer but just doesn't have the time or energy to do all of the work. Our neighbors across the street just had their pipes break in the upstairs bathroom and it caused a huge mess. But, she did get all new carpet, new floors etc.

I'm so jealous, it's going to be a while before I see any weather like that. Have you always lived in a warm climate?

It came as surprise, we were suppose to expect rain . I am not complaining enjoying the nice weather:) Yes, I have always lived in a warm climate .

I learned that my dad's MRI came back clear -he's been having some headaches and my mom noticed some memory issues and speech differences with him, so they planned to do an MRI this week. We all so happy that they didn't find any tumors or evidence of stroke or anything concrete like that! However, my mom is still worried about the changes she sees so make sure they didn't miss anything, they;re gonna do an ultrasound. My dad - who hates medical tests and doctor's offices - hasn't yet been told that his doc. wants him to now do an ultrasound. He's currently at Tai Chi and my mom is gonna talk to him when he returns.

All this talk about home projects reminds me that we need to get back to the floor repair job that we have in mind.....from when the dishwasher broke and apparently had a slow leak going for quite a while which subsequently damaged the <newish> kitchen floor.
This all happened after my hernia surgery and around the time of the new roof <complete tear off> and the planning for the dog's surgery. Once we got the dishwasher fixed, we put the floor issue on hold.

The theme song of the old tv show "Gilmore Girls" is actually a Carole King song.

I learned one year ago today, my beloved NE Patriots won Super bowl 49!

I learned that carpet colors have not change much over the years. One of the samples we picked out was almost a perfect match for what we have now. I want something different, have waited a long time to get this project done. Not looking forward to all the work, reorganizing, moving furniture, clearing out closets etc.

Back