What Degrees Do You Think Is Most In Demand?

ladysolitary85

Reaction score
I maybe starting school this year and I'm not sure about what degree I want to pursue, I'm curious what degrees people think are worth it, and what degrees aren't. Even speaking from experience, I would love opinions!

Teaching degrees but the job doesnt get its money's worth.

other degrees that I think are in demand

Managment Information Systems
Accounting
Computer Sciences
Engineering (nuclear, computer, mechanical, and electrical)
Finance
Marketing

That's what I know from people I have spoken with over the years.

I definitely think an accounting degree is in demand. I may be a little bias in that regard because I am getting a B.S. in Accounting. :giggle:

What do you like to do? What would you say are your greatest strengths? Greatest weaknesses?

No degree is worth a damn if it isn't in line with your own interests, aptitudes and abilities.

That said: check out the Money magazine site, or Kiplingers', CNN, and similar places. Google "degrees in demand" and you might find some good information.

Also think about what lifestyle you want to have. High pressure, high financial rewards, or low-key, lower financial rewards? Where do you want to live, and what sorts of services are needed there? Do you want a portable career (teaching, nursing, financial advising, sales, journalism), or do you want to live someplace specific and know that there are a lot of jobs in that area? (Computer programming around big cities, for instance. Oil engineering around the Gulf coast states, especially Texas. Theater in one sort or another in New York, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco. Arts in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Just tossing out some examples here, obviously not an exhaustive list. )

Most important (and I will shout this one from the housetops!): do not go into debt!!! Too many students graduate tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, then can't find a job, or feel forced to take a job that isn't quite what they wanted (high-pressure law firm vs. public interest law, for instance) because they are behind the 8-ball financially due to that load of debt.

I agree 100% with beach girl. No degree is worth it unless you love what you do. :) Good luck!

What do you like to do? What would you say are your greatest strengths? Greatest weaknesses?

No degree is worth a damn if it isn't in line with your own interests, aptitudes and abilities.

That said: check out the Money magazine site, or Kiplingers', CNN, and similar places. Google "degrees in demand" and you might find some good information.

Also think about what lifestyle you want to have. High pressure, high financial rewards, or low-key, lower financial rewards? Where do you want to live, and what sorts of services are needed there? Do you want a portable career (teaching, nursing, financial advising, sales, journalism), or do you want to live someplace specific and know that there are a lot of jobs in that area? (Computer programming around big cities, for instance. Oil engineering around the Gulf coast states, especially Texas. Theater in one sort or another in New York, Washington, Chicago, San Francisco. Arts in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Just tossing out some examples here, obviously not an exhaustive list. )

Most important (and I will shout this one from the housetops!): do not go into debt!!! Too many students graduate tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt, then can't find a job, or feel forced to take a job that isn't quite what they wanted (high-pressure law firm vs. public interest law, for instance) because they are behind the 8-ball financially due to that load of debt.

As for getting into debt...I agree but sometimes life forces students to go into debt (parents unable to pay for college, trying to support oneself through college, or unforseen crisis).

My reason for my heavy debt after grad school was because my marriage fell apart during my first semester of grad school forcing me to support myself along with supporting a daughter who was 3 at the time. I didnt want to give up my dreams so I stayed in school but the downside, I used my credit cards to pay for food and all that for 2 years.

Now, I am still working to pay it off...almost there. Hopefully by the time I am 50, all of my debt will have been paid off. *crossing fingers*

So, yea...try to avoid going into debt if you can or if have to...try to keep it as minimal as you can. Good luck!

Thats the problem, I don't know what I'd like to do :)

I know I want to make a decent living, happy, I want a stable work schedule that includes benefits. I'd like a degree that can take me anywhere are far as living in certain places.

My strongest point is customer service (Although I'm not sure if thats something I'd want to do now) My weakest point I think would be anything that is phone related (can't hear on the phone and I get nervous, and no I'm not trying to say my deafness is a weakness lol) I love kids but I don't think I can really work directly with them everyday.

When I was in high school my strongest points was English, Art, some History
And my weakest was Math, Science (although some science interested me)

I just have two fears, going into debt and getting a degree in something that I can't use. I know I don't want to spend 8 years at a school lol

What about customer service management degrees?

I'd like to paint seashells. Red ones, blue ones, and color at all! If they're pretty, people will buy them like mad! :D

Although its something I'm good at, I don't think I'd really want to deal with customers all day long.

As a manager, you wouldnt deal with the customers directly but you would deal with your co-workers who deal with the customers.

What about degrees in human resources?

Nursing pays well, you can go anywhere, and will be more and more in demand due to an aging population.

Wirelessly posted

Bottesini said:
Nursing pays well, you can go anywhere, and will be more and more in demand due to an aging population.

There have been news reports that in california they have been having to look out of state and even out of country for RNs.

It doesn't pay that well. I have a sister who quit her nursing career when she had (and took) the opportunity to work on the assembly line at GM. :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

You only said you were looking to get a degree you didn't say how much time you were willing to invest in it. But even nurse without degrees make decent money I think

Back