What Degrees Do You Think Is Most In Demand?

You know, that is my exact predicament... so my solution for the meantime while i decide is to learn Auslan (being hearing) and work!

Nursing perhaps? that is definately going to be in demand..

will that be okay with your HOH status?

-P
Nurse demands are already skyrocketing in last few years. Some place are offering ridiculous salary (50k-100k+/year), that how bad the demand for nurses are.

Due to baby boomers, engineer positions are growing in demand too. At my company, they are starting to replace retired engineers with new ones.

Last edited:
It doesn't pay that well. I have a sister who quit her nursing career when she had (and took) the opportunity to work on the assembly line at GM. :hmm:

I have 2 friends that make over $120,000/yr as nurses

X-ray Tech and Radiation Therapist...hmmm? Good money, high demands, fast-track programs ...

My sister became an RN in a fast track program, which I think was 18 months. She made decent money (better than me, even though I have two Master's degrees...not fair :pissed: but...). She did complain of the long hours, unpredicable schedules, and the physical demands of being on the job (back pain, sore feet,.etc.) but with that said, she loved it...until someone died on her watch... then she quit but that's a whole different story. lol

Just go with what you enjoy the most. The money will come if you are very good and build a reputation on it. This is something you might have to do for the rest of your life, so don't pick a major/field of work that you don't enjoy. You will just make yourself miserable.

IMHO, don't worry about debt. If you pick something you enjoy and can become good at it, then the money used to pay for your education is a worthwhile investment. This is a "good" debt that you want to make many times over your lifetime. Besides, educational loans typically have very low interest rates compared to other things like cars, mortgages, etc etc. Don't sweat over the debt incurred by your education. Unless you go to medical school or something like that.

I seriously, SERIOUSLY, disagree with that. Look at all the "Occupy (fill in the blank)" protests full of students complaining that they can't get a job, can't pay off their debts. In my not-all-that-humble opinion, NO debt is "good" debt. I know we've been sold this theory that mortages and student loans are "good" debts. Really? Ask all those people who got underwater on their mortgages, owing hundreds of thousands more than their houses are currently worth. Ask students a couple years out of college who did not get the job of their dreams, and are now struggling with a big debt load and a meager salary.

Look into scholarships; look into part-time jobs that you can combine with taking classes part-time; move back home if that's at all feasible, or take in a roommate to split expenses. Do whatever you possibly can to avoid student-loan debt, and you will be SO grateful you did, come graduation day.

Back