what cause you to become Ddeaf/Hhoh?

Very interesting stories here and I didnt know about herion overdose causing deafness.

My mom discovered my deafness when I was 7 months old and immediately she put me in intensive speech therapy. Yes, I developed good oral and lipreading skills but for me, it was a struggle on the receptive part cuz with lipreading, studies have shown only 30% of what is being said is accessible while the rest is a "guessing game". No wonder I prefer using ASL instead of lipreading.

My brother was immediately tested since my deafness was caused by unknown reasons and he failed the hearing test. Same degree of deafness as I do...120 dB bilateral loss since birth.
120db loss and you wear HA?

I lost my hearing to sm at two and half. Thank god I can not stand those noise.

Born 8 weeks early. Drugs-Gentamicin is the likely cause. But I lived, so I can't complain too much. I've been told my loss is 80% and 88%, but I don't understand how you get a percentage of hearing loss.

120db loss and you wear HA?

I do.

I was born profoundly deaf for unknown reasons (all family hearing, mum was very healthy, i was born 2 weeks late, first child) Mum found out i was deaf because there was fire alarm at the hospital where i was born, i was the only baby who slept through it! I had 3 dogs too but Doc's thought mum was over anxious, i was 9 months old when i was finally declared deaf and got first aids when i was 2 then enrolled to mainstream nursery school to have little head start.

I do.

I was born profoundly deaf for unknown reasons (all family hearing, mum was very healthy, i was born 2 weeks late, first child) Mum found out i was deaf because there was fire alarm at the hospital where i was born, i was the only baby who slept through it! I had 3 dogs too but Doc's thought mum was over anxious, i was 9 months old when i was finally declared deaf and got first aids when i was 2 then enrolled to mainstream nursery school to have little head start.

How do the three dogs relate?

I was born 14 weeks premature. The doctors thought I was alright and just had late hearing development until later I still couldn't hear so I got my hearing aids at 1 and half years old and obviously I didn't keep them in.

I couldn't talk until I was 5 or 6 years old so I was years and years behind to everyone at school. When I was 11 years old, I told my family I'm determinated to go to University, they didn't believe me. When I was 14 or 15 years old during my GCSES, I was predicted fails in everything; that really knocked my confidence! Then I proved them wrong, I passed with 11 A*-C, no fails at all. And passed my A levels in Art, and all 3 sciences. Now I'm at Hull University studying Primary Teaching BA. I'm hoping to become a teacher of the deaf so I can help lots achieve like I did :).

I couldn't talk until I was 5 or 6 years old so I was years and years behind to everyone at school. When I was 11 years old, I told my family I'm determinated to go to University, they didn't believe me. When I was 14 or 15 years old during my GCSES, I was predicted fails in everything; that really knocked my confidence! Then I proved them wrong, I passed with 11 A*-C, no fails at all. And passed my A levels in Art, and all 3 sciences. Now I'm at Hull University studying Primary Teaching BA. I'm hoping to become a teacher of the deaf so I can help lots achieve like I did :).

That's great you have achieved your goals in high school and got into university like you wanted. All the best of luck on becoming a teacher for the deaf. :)

Shel's right (as usual, haha). There are some very power hearing aids that are out nowdays - even with 120 db loss, a person can benefit some. :)

I do.

Audiologist would not give me HA when I asked for it when I was younger and he told me it was useless for me cuz my hearing loss was 110 db. Now I find others who thier hearing loss worst than mine get to wear HA. oh well.

I was not aware the human ear could pick up sounds in the 120db range? :hmm: I know most audiologist will only test your hearing to 110db.

My uncle has a pretty interesting story. He became deaf at around 50 something. He was driving down a long kansas highway road and the rear axel in his ups truck fell right out, hit the ground. As a result his ups truck fliped over into a ditch. He landed fine, not even a scrap or a scratch on him, but the pressure from the impact blew out his right ear. He is now 100% deaf and can't hear a thing.

Shel, thats cool to hear about your deaf brother. I wish I had a deaf sister or something :giggle:. I bet you love him very much!

I was not aware the human ear could pick up sounds in the 120db range? :hmm: I know most audiologist will only test your hearing to 110db.

The threshold of pain is shortly after 120dB so that is why they don't often test that high. I know I can hear sounds (not just barely hear, but really hear) at about 140-160dB. I can't hear everything but some things.

Back