what cause you to become Ddeaf/Hhoh?

Here's a table with examples of sound pressure levels in Pascels and decibels. There, the level for hearing damage for long term exposure is ~85 dB and for short term exposure, it's ~120 dB. The threshold of pain is ~130 dB. Be glad that they don't test you at ~191 dB. For usual atmospheric pressures, that's when the rarefaction part of the sound wave approaches a vacuum, so the sound intensity can increase only in the compression part beyond that. Then it's called a shock wave. :eek:

My 800th post. :D

Born deaf due to rubella (German measles).

Doctor told my mother that she might have a disabled baby that´s time she got German measles when she was 3 months pregnant with me. She decided to keep me. After birth, she relieved that I have arms and legs... until she noticed something wrong with me when I was one year old.... deaf...

My mother had contracted Rubella measles when she was pregnant with me at 2 months pregnancy. I am hoh as I can hear some without my hearing aid in right ear but can hear little in left ear till auto accident in 1997 now its stoned deaf. i cant hear nothing. oh well.

Allergies?

Yep, but those didn't cause my Eustation Tube Dysfunction. I was born with bad Eustation Tubes. I lost my ear drums twice because of this. I have had ear pain most all of my life and I get that tinnitus and vertigo from this too.

Shel, is your hearing 120dB accross the board? Just curiouse!

If I remember correctly, it is 120 on the left side and then after (I cant remember what frequency) the 3rd or 4th frequency, it goes down to "X".

Jazzy, my deaf brother has the same degree of hearing loss and cant hear anything with his HA. It depends on how our brains process and connect the sounds. I know it is strange.

Shel, thats cool to hear about your deaf brother. I wish I had a deaf sister or something :giggle:. I bet you love him very much!

Yes, I love him dearly. We are very very close since we are the only deaf members in our family. I thank my lucky stars to have him.

If I remember correctly, it is 120 on the left side and then after (I cant remember what frequency) the 3rd or 4th frequency, it goes down to "X".

Jazzy, my deaf brother has the same degree of hearing loss and cant hear anything with his HA. It depends on how our brains process and connect the sounds. I know it is strange.

We have very similar hearing thresholds then. I am a bit better in the low frequencies, about 105-120 for the first 4 frequencies then all X's beyond that.

I am good with anything loooooooud. Very loooooooud jet engines, the TV on 100 of 100 :D with captioning, etc.. I suspect all these very loooooooud noises are going to end up making me deafer one day, but I dont care.

I was born a total hearie and continued that way till I turned 50 ( I am now almost 52). My left ear lost most of it's hearing in just a few months and I started to have vertigo and tinnitus. Have since been diagnosed with Meniere's disease. No known cause, no cure. A year after the left ear went, the right ear started to follow. Both are now at 60% hearing loss but the left ear can't understand speech at all. The right ear is also starting to lose it's ability to understand speech, mostly in noisy areas. They also found a genetic link to early hearing loss, so I guess I got a "double whammy". No one else in the family has hearing trouble other than the normal getting older kind.

I'm almost 15 now, i'll be 15 next month on aug 26th.

I was born hearing when i was a baby, but when i turned 3 years old i lost my hearing by Autoimmune hearing loss. I was being put on steroids to help save my hearing. But it didn't help. So my parents decided to take me off steriods and let my hearing go bad. I got my hearing aids when i was 4 years old. I didn't like them and i kept putting them in places where my parents wouldn't find them. They hurted my ears alot. But i got the hang of it after awhile. Then when i was 8 or 9 years old I got my cochlear implant. Or was it 10 years old?? I don't remember how old was I when i got my cochlear implant. Up until today, I want to hear things i never heard before. To me its a amazing thing. The first sound that i wanted to hear was the bird chirping and dogs barking and the children laughing from up the street. I got to hear that and i'm really amazed by that. My right ear is hard of hearing but my left ear is 100% deaf. I have my cochlear implant on my left ear and a hearing aid on my right. I wore both hearing aids when i was little. I didn't like how i can't hear very well with my left ear with the hearing aid. But thank god for cochlear implants, I can hear again. But don't worry. I'll be deaf proud. And i can be hearing proud too. Sure i was raised by a hearing family,but it doesn't mean that i can't be raised by a deaf community too. :wave:

I lost all hearing at age 44 due to Meniere's Disease atleast I don't have to listen to the wife nag now :lol:

My doctor believes that for me, the genetic heredity was the reason but I don't think it's the case, I just think I born deaf, that's all to it. Not that big of a story. I know one did become deaf because he cried and yelled too much every time his mother went few feet or more away from him, even his older brother was beside him. Now that's a story. I was told the story from a friend of mine. =P

Born hearing but became deaf at age 3 as a result of auditory nerve/cochlear damage by Bacterial Meningitis.

At age two, ate blackberries that weren't ripe. That caused a stomach virus. Stomach virus caused a 106 degree fever. The fever caused loss of all vital signs; revived in hospital. Parents realized I was deaf four years later.

All I know is that it was a really bad fever. There really isn't much that I know about it. All I do remember is going deaf one day. One of the oldest memories I have is of sitting in kindergarten and not being able to understand the teacher.

I got a very good public school education before transferring and graduating from a deaf school. I think I got the short end of the stick on that part of my education but overall, I'm happy with my choices.

Seems like quite a few of us had hearing loss resulting from viruses and/or fevers.

Its actually more common than genectic causes.

Yep. I remember a deaf family whose deafness wasn't genetic... Mom said the whole family became deaf as a result of spinal meningitis. :shock:

Back