what cause you to become Ddeaf/Hhoh?

Have no idea how I became Deaf.
Few possibilities
a. Chicken pox at 6 month old
b. born with yellow skins (cant spell word Jaundice).
c. hidden gene

Will never know until take some kind of test.

My deafness is hereditary . it's become noticable when I was around 11 and has progressed over time and it's now in severe/profound range

My 15 year old son is the only deaf memeber of our family. We discovered his deafness when he was about 1 year old. I noticed little things like him playing with toys that didnt make sound anymore when my daughter, who is one year older would not play with them anymore. He would not always respond when we called him ( like if he couldnt see me or feel vibrations on the floor). I took him to our family doctor who told me " oh he just has a cold and is ignoring you" I replied I'm his mother, I know! something is going on. So finally, he asked ( this is after repeated vists and me demanding we test his hearing) " Do you want to have him tested?" GRRRRRRRR
First they did an audio booth test; he sat on my lap and they played sounds in different corners of the little room; which also had little lights and moving toys like a bear playing drums. They would send the sound, and sometimes when they sent the sound they would have the lights and bear going also. He only responded to the lights and toys. I knew then he was deaf, dad had a much harder time. My mother who lived in another state had just 6 months before, for no real reason, had gone back to school and was learning ASL; she began teaching me sign over the phone. People around me where telling me I was crazy, hes not deaf. One person lived near us and I took my son over there for them to watch him while I went to the store. When I came back, they were asking me if I really thought he was deaf. I looked in their daughters room where my son was playing, his back to the door. I said, he was really upset when I left ( he was a mamma's boy when he was little) and they said, well yeah. I said watch.. I stood at the door and called his name.. nothing... I yelled his name... nothing finally I stomped on the floor and he turned around and ran to me.
He was given a BARE test to measure his deafness. He is profoundly deaf. We will probably never know where the deafness comes from. He was born in a Navy hospital (biting my tongue about that crap) and his head was stuck in the birth channel for a bit, also his soft spot (fontell) was closed too soon, causing his head to be misshaped. He had surgery to correct that when he was 3 yrs old. That was a terrible time, for 3 days his face was so swollen he couldnt see...Then when he was 4 he had the surgery for the CI.
He went to speech therepy for 5 yrs. His speech therepist wanted us to stop signing to him, which I refused to do. His speech has improved some, I can understand most of what he says. And we sign.
My mother in law thinks we could sue the government or at least the Navy for neglect for not telling us about the problems they had during delivery and I honestly think the nurse who saw him at his 6 week check up knew his soft spot was closed( i think it was closed right after his birth because of the problems) but she never said anything,I just will never forget the look she gave me before going ahead with the rest of the exam. When I asked her if anything was going on she smiled some stupid smile and said no.Anyway, I dont think we can go after the navy and I dont think knowing why is going change anything.

Somewhere in the 5th month of pregnacy, I became deaf. Whether it was due to the viral infection my mother had or if I simply decided I wanted good night's sleep for the rest of my life, no one knows.

I'm classified as severe-to-profound. I took speech therapy for about 12 to 13 years and most people think I'm HoH or regular hearing when I'm just your run-of-the-mill congenitally deaf guy.

I'm 19th. I was a heroin addict for 2 years.

I overdosed jan 21, 2008. Didn't arrive to the hospital until an hour and a half after I overdosed. Lack of oxygen has left me deaf. Serious tinnitus in my right ear... nearly entirely deaf and my left moderately.

It got me off the dope.. and disabled me for life. I guess thats my lesson to you all... Don't mess with Heroin.. it'll kick your ass. (deafness is reported in .3% of all heroin overdoses) i guess I was one of the extremely unlucky.

Unknown cause. My mother discovered that I was deaf when I was one and half year old. She assumed that it must be the sulfate (spelling?) as a part of medicine she took when she was sick. Few years after my birth the scientists discovered that sulfate causes the birth defects so had it prohibited.

I'm 19th. I was a heroin addict for 2 years.

I overdosed jan 21, 2008. Didn't arrive to the hospital until an hour and a half after I overdosed. Lack of oxygen has left me deaf. Serious tinnitus in my right ear... nearly entirely deaf and my left moderately.

It got me off the dope.. and disabled me for life. I guess thats my lesson to you all... Don't mess with Heroin.. it'll kick your ass. (deafness is reported in .3% of all heroin overdoses) i guess I was one of the extremely unlucky.

I have a friend who also became deaf due to a heroin overdose, I think he was 20 at the time. He's 28 now, he has a cochlear implant.

Mine is also an air pressure case...or rather water pressure. Instead of being caused while in a plane, it was caused while scuba diving. I already had a high-frequency loss but it was very mild and I considered myself a hearing person. Then the scuba diving accident made it worse and it DID matter...if I had no hearing loss previously, the accident would not have been a problem. But because I did have it, the accident made it worse, so now I have a mild-to-severe loss depending on the frequencies.

I was born with hearing loss. The doctors never figured out why. I have 50% loss in one ear and 25% loss in the other.

Very interesting stories here and I didnt know about herion overdose causing deafness.

My mom discovered my deafness when I was 7 months old and immediately she put me in intensive speech therapy. Yes, I developed good oral and lipreading skills but for me, it was a struggle on the receptive part cuz with lipreading, studies have shown only 30% of what is being said is accessible while the rest is a "guessing game". No wonder I prefer using ASL instead of lipreading.

My brother was immediately tested since my deafness was caused by unknown reasons and he failed the hearing test. Same degree of deafness as I do...120 dB bilateral loss since birth.

I am hearing but my daughter is the deaf one.

She was born hearing but had some major complications. She had to have a heart-lung bypass. She was very near death. They gave her very strong antibiotics and she was on oxygen for 6 months.

She was still hearing normally at 6 months, but by 18 months she had a moderatly severe loss. It has progressed to severe (on the edge of profound).

It could have been the lack of oxygen at birth, it could have been the medicine, it could have been the high levels of oxygen for the weeks in the hospital, it could have been the bypass....don't know, but probably a little of everything!

Did she have patent foramen ovale or patent ductus arteriosum? is that what you mean by heart-lung bypass? Aminoglycosides can be very ototoxic to infants either just because low chance of this adverse effect, when used in conjunction with other antibiotics, or wrong dosage administration of the medication. I don't know what other drugs post op she was, but there are many to have possible ototoxicity issues.

Last edited:
I was born with my deafness..don't know the reason..but I think it is hereditary , as my grandmother was deaf too..but her deafness was acquired after she got married..so I'm not sure..

Genetics, born deaf in left ear HOH in right, now deaf in both, last of the residual hearing i had was lost in the fall due to ear infections and ruptured ear drum.

I did post in other thread. Ohh well. I have to say repeat here.

I was born deaf from genetic family. My parent never figure it out that I was deaf until I was 15 or 16 months old. They suspicious that I can't hear anything. I had a high fever, ears infection and hearing tubes. They took me to hospital. My old doctor found it out I am deaf.

Dominant Progressive Hearing Loss. It is genetic, started when I was 2 and progressed to a profound (very profound) loss recently.

I did post in other thread. Ohh well. I have to say repeat here.

I was born deaf from genetic family. My parent never figure it out that I was deaf until I was 15 or 16 months old. They suspicious that I can't hear anything. I had a high fever, ears infection and hearing tubes. They took me to hospital. My old doctor found it out I am deaf.

hello pinky,

really, you post in the other thread, what's the title. i didn't know or i didn't see. sorry about that but you already post it here anyway :)

Very interesting stories here and I didnt know about herion overdose causing deafness.

My mom discovered my deafness when I was 7 months old and immediately she put me in intensive speech therapy. Yes, I developed good oral and lipreading skills but for me, it was a struggle on the receptive part cuz with lipreading, studies have shown only 30% of what is being said is accessible while the rest is a "guessing game". No wonder I prefer using ASL instead of lipreading.

My brother was immediately tested since my deafness was caused by unknown reasons and he failed the hearing test. Same degree of deafness as I do...120 dB bilateral loss since birth.

Chronic cocaine abuse can cause hearing loss, as well. And some prescription drugs and OTC meds, too.

Back