What can you hear at night?(if anything)

I hear absolutely nothing at night. When I sleep, I sleep hard. I could snooze thru WWIII that's what I'm trying to tell ya. :giggle:

I also like to keep my tv on while I'm sleeping. I seem to sleep better with it on although it never disturbs me.

I hear absolutely nothing at night. When I sleep, I sleep hard. I could snooze thru WWIII that's what I'm trying to tell ya. :giggle:

I also like to keep my tv on while I'm sleeping. I seem to sleep better with it on although it never disturbs me.

back in my hearing days (pre-hearing aid), i used to do the same thing except i always kept the radio on. i always used to keep a talk radio station playing softly in the background. ever since i was a child, i've *always* loved falling asleep to the sound of a person's voice because it's so mesmorizing.

sometimes i wish i could still fall asleep listening to the radio, but wearing my ci's at night is uncomfortable.

in my better hearing days (pre-hearing aids), i could hear all kinds of noises including car horns, motorcycles (i HATE that sound!), traffic, car alarms, firecrackers being set off around the 4th of july, dogs barking, lawn mower or leaf blower at 6 a.m., children laughing and playing outdoors, loud car stereos blasting music, car tires "popping" after hitting a pothole and my phone ringing.

now that i have ci's, i'm completely deaf and can get a good night's sleep. :D

I agree with typingtornado. I've been a light sleeper since my Navy days so many years ago. I hear dogs barking, train whistles, fire engines, school buses, and almost everything else. Last night I thought I heard gunshots TWICE!! :shock:

If I'm really wiped out, I'll put in ear plugs and turn off the alarm clock. I did that Fri and was almost late for work Sat morning.

you know, right before i received my first ci, i thought i'd be disconcerted by the silence when i wasn't wearing my implant.

however, i've found the opposite to be true. i love the silence and find it to be very peaceful -- especially after a long, hard day filled with LOUD environmental sounds.

I have no idea how hearing people put up with infernal noise 24/7. I sure am blessed! :lol:

Hear absulotely nothing at night no matter how loud the sounds are.

My hearing loss is not severe but bad enough to need two hearing aids. With the HA's I hear good! With out them I can still hear but every thing sounds a lot lower and softer. So only sounds near by bother me when i sleep or really loud sounds.

But the strangest thing use to happen to me some times when I sleep. I would be in between wake and sleep state. I could hear voices as if people where in the room with me, but I was asleep but the voices would wake me up! Later I learned that this is common state of being inbetween sleep and wake state. It's very strange if you ever experienced it you would know! Since my hearing use to be good years ago and did not start getting really bad until about 5 years ago my hearing is still perfect when I dream :)

My hearing loss is not severe but bad enough to need two hearing aids. With the HA's I hear good! With out them I can still hear but every thing sounds a lot lower and softer. So only sounds near by bother me when i sleep or really loud sounds.

But the strangest thing use to happen to me some times when I sleep. I would be in between wake and sleep state. I could hear voices as if people where in the room with me, but I was asleep but the voices would wake me up! Later I learned that this is common state of being inbetween sleep and wake state. It's very strange if you ever experienced it you would know! Since my hearing use to be good years ago and did not start getting really bad until about 5 years ago my hearing is still perfect when I dream :)

off-topic...

that's really interesting because when i had severe-profound loss (profound in left ear and severe-profound in right ear), i experienced my dreams through touch and tactile sign.

For example, when i communicated with others in my dreams, they would use tactile sign and i would sign back.

now that i have ci's, i'm starting to hear more and more in my dreams. voices are becoming more distinct and clear and i'm also noticing that i can hear more environmental sounds.

my former ci audi told me that it's not uncommon for those who have been deaf for a very long time (or who had severe-profound hearing loss like i did for 10 years prior to receiving my first ci) not to be able to hear in their dreams.

She also said that when a person starts to lose their hearing, they may still be able to hear in their dreams, but that the ability to do so continues to decrease over time in proportion to the degree of hearing loss.

I hear nothing in my sleep. Dad could be right out my window mowing the lawn at 6:00 am on a Saturday morning and I would not hear it. However I do hear my alarm go off everymorning, I have it on LOUD as well as making my cellphone light come on. More times than not, it is the light from my cell phone that wakes me up rather than the alarm. Mom says she can hear my alarm go off all the way downstairs from my bedroom, and the bedroom door is closed, so I must have a really loud alarm. Oddly though, my DD is so used to it going off that anymore she'll stir when it goes off, but as soon as I shut it off, she just blinks then goes right back to sleep. She is a very deep sleeper, sometimes it takes a lot to wake her up. Occassionally though she'll wake up and not be able to go back to sleep, so I take her downstairs to let her sleep with my mom while I head off to work.

Another thing is, my mom has a backup alarm in her room so that if I should not hear my alarm and not wake up, her's is set to go off 15 minutes after mine does and if I'm not up and around by the time her alarm goes off, she usually comes and wakes me up to make sure I get up and get to work on time. 90% of the time though I do get up with my alarm but there's been 2 or 3 times that mom has had to come wake me up.

As far as hearing in my dreams, it is about the same as what I hear during the day. The speech I hear is mostly garbled by sound alone, so I have to speech read, in my dreams it is the same way although in my dreams I tend not fuss about what was said as its usually irrelevant to my day-to-day living.

I hear nothing in my sleep. Dad could be right out my window mowing the lawn at 6:00 am on a Saturday morning and I would not hear it. However I do hear my alarm go off everymorning, I have it on LOUD as well as making my cellphone light come on. More times than not, it is the light from my cell phone that wakes me up rather than the alarm. Mom says she can hear my alarm go off all the way downstairs from my bedroom, and the bedroom door is closed, so I must have a really loud alarm. Oddly though, my DD is so used to it going off that anymore she'll stir when it goes off, but as soon as I shut it off, she just blinks then goes right back to sleep. She is a very deep sleeper, sometimes it takes a lot to wake her up. Occassionally though she'll wake up and not be able to go back to sleep, so I take her downstairs to let her sleep with my mom while I head off to work.

Another thing is, my mom has a backup alarm in her room so that if I should not hear my alarm and not wake up, her's is set to go off 15 minutes after mine does and if I'm not up and around by the time her alarm goes off, she usually comes and wakes me up to make sure I get up and get to work on time. 90% of the time though I do get up with my alarm but there's been 2 or 3 times that mom has had to come wake me up.

As far as hearing in my dreams, it is about the same as what I hear during the day. The speech I hear is mostly garbled by sound alone, so I have to speech read, in my dreams it is the same way although in my dreams I tend not fuss about what was said as its usually irrelevant to my day-to-day living.

dixie,

this used to be the case for me when i still had some residual hearing without aids. i used to have an alarm clock whose alarm was so LOUD you could hear it clear across my apartment. one of the nice things i liked about this alarm clock was that the frequency of the alarm was adjustable so i could set it to a low tone i could hear. i still have that alarm clock and use it whenever i have important appointments i can't miss (i hear it by sleeping with my ci's on).

I think I am having an issues with my house, it's haunted! I always hear glass breaking, screaming, chainsaw engine, stomping on the roof and under the house, explosive, gun shots, and many more! Even though I hear those crazy sounds, nothing happened in the sight! Scary!!

Just kidding :lol: Sometimes I only feel the heater blowing the air.

Absolutely NOTHING! I'm very deaf. only can feel vibrations but no sounds.

Oh I KNOW! :laugh2: Remember the time when GalaxyAngel was banging/kicking your hotel room door in St. Louis MO? She almost broke that door down. That was so friggin hilarious! :laugh2:

Oh I KNOW! :laugh2: Remember the time when GalaxyAngel was banging/kicking your hotel room door in St. Louis MO? She almost broke that door down. That was so friggin hilarious! :laugh2:

ROFLOL, when was this? When I went to St. Louis back in summer of 2001, I ran into a deaf group at Six Flags, could have this been you?

I had a similar experience at a hotel in Wichita, KS. I was in the bathroom getting dressed while my roommate went down to the vending machine to grab a snack, one of my friends at the time came to return a shirt she had borrowed the night before from her room and my roommate walked up to the room seeing my friend kicking the door trying to get my attention for me to open the door for her, I never heard her. :lol: Apparently she had been knocking for several minutes before my roommate happened to walk up to let her in.

ROFLOL, when was this? When I went to St. Louis back in summer of 2001, I ran into a deaf group at Six Flags, could have this been you?

Oh no that was when we had the first alldeaf caucus in St. Louis. ;)

I had a similar experience at a hotel in Wichita, KS. I was in the bathroom getting dressed while my roommate went down to the vending machine to grab a snack, one of my friends at the time came to return a shirt she had borrowed the night before from her room and my roommate walked up to the room seeing my friend kicking the door trying to get my attention for me to open the door for her, I never heard her. :lol: Apparently she had been knocking for several minutes before my roommate happened to walk up to let her in.

:lol:

LMAO!!! yes.. the vibration is what woke me up!!!! yes! GA did kill that door!

absolutely nothing and proud of it. a very peaceful sleep! except.............. daily routine by my dog... scratching on top of me to get inside my blanket or sleeping on top of my legs. he does this nearly exactly same time everyday - about 7am or 8am. :mad2:

Back