what behaviors show hearing has a good attitude at Deaf Event

indpndntone

Reaction score
When attending a Deaf event, what behaviors would show that a hearing person has a "good attitude?"

That they are open to learning something about deaf culture.

Don't run up and interrupt people who are in conversation.

I've been to two Deaf social events now, even though I can barely sign anything yet. I introduced myself, asked for the other folks' names, said the small pleasantries I know how to say. Then I mostly kept my mouth shut, my hands quietly mimicking signs that I understood to practice them, and asked questions about ASL when the more patient people weren't in the middle of a conversation.

Basically, I acted like I would at any event where I didn't know the social norms of the new group: I was polite, friendly, and mostly just observed so I could learn the group's rules. Because, basically, Deaf people are just people. ;) So treat it like any other established group's event that you're trying to join. :)

I had a great time, folks asked me if I'd come back after the first time, and seem genuinely pleased to see me return for the second time. I call that a resounding success at my current stage of communication ability. ;)

:ty: Thank you for describing your experience. I've always been so afraid to go to Deaf events, due to my minimal signing knowledge and ability. I had been to some meetings of a local group where the business part of the meeting was both signed and CART-ed. So I knew what was being said, what any guest speakers said, etc. But afterwards, when it was social time, everyone was signing, some voiced, some not. So the amount of background sound was such that my hearing aids weren't much help, and I didn't recognize most signs people were signing. So I felt so discouraged, I'd just leave after the business meeting part was over.

Your story encourages me to try again. :hmm: :)

:ty: Thank you for describing your experience. I've always been so afraid to go to Deaf events, due to my minimal signing knowledge and ability. I had been to some meetings of a local group where the business part of the meeting was both signed and CART-ed. So I knew what was being said, what any guest speakers said, etc. But afterwards, when it was social time, everyone was signing, some voiced, some not. So the amount of background sound was such that my hearing aids weren't much help, and I didn't recognize most signs people were signing. So I felt so discouraged, I'd just leave after the business meeting part was over.

Your story encourages me to try again. :hmm: :)

I attend up to seven deaf socials a month (normal for a large city like Houston) and several ASL 1 students from either the local colleges and/or high schools with also attend.
I'm very open to helping them ease into our socials and know that others are there for the enjoyment of seeing deaf friends. They don't really want to deal with students but will be polite. My point is, you need to at first, sit quietly and identify the different people attending. Right off the back you will identify, through hand speed, those who are not only totally ASL but also in conversation with their friends. Don't interrupt these. Look around the room and you will see someone, like myself, willing to start a conversation with you on your level. This person will undoubtly be aware that you are new and will kindly make you feel included by introducing you to others whom also would be glad to help you. Next social you wil know whom to look for but between the social do your best to improve your skill level. The more enthusiasm (genuine) that you display the more comfortable you wil fit in.

What rolling7 describes is exactly how my two attendances at the local weekly Deaf social went.

GrayEagle: Don't be scared! Jump on in and just be a friendly, polite noob! ;)

I agree with everything said. Deaf can tell through just a few pleasant exchanges both your attitude and signing level. I myself can usually gauge by how someone fingerspells their name... Not sure if this is common, but you can usually tell by how fluid someone's fingerspelling of common words (for example, their own name) is. Most Deaf in my area who know you are a student will code-switch to accommodate you if you are kind, polite, and friendly. Just go in there friendly, sweet, and willing to learn.

Also don't be totally hostile if someone chooses to sweet-tease you. Happens all the time and I see people lose their cool over a teasing remark. Those people usually don't come back to Deaf events. Their loss.

Back